Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 8th July 2014, 21:48

Viatron is on a distinguished road

Gary the problem is that the bonnet moulds are still the original Sammio ones so until they are reworked, which im sure is on the cards it is what it is and I have to make to a remodel what I have,
Old 8th July 2014, 22:01

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viatron View Post
... At this point I curled up in a corner and sucked my thumb and cried for my mummy ...
Mac - Whilst your laser work has scared me, that last comment really did made me laugh.

Glad to see your time in the workshop ended on a positive note.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 8th July 2014, 22:25

And for those of you not paying attention I have just taken my socks off and recounted and realised the difference in measurements between the 2 halves of the bonnet was in fact 80mm not 120 as I had somehow come up with bit I will revisit this on Thursday when I'm back up the unit.
Ttfn

Mac
Old 9th July 2014, 09:21

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Nice use of modern technology - not the laser, that's so 1960's spoof spy movie - but the 'CAD' or Cardboard Aided Design system.

I'm sure you'll get your bonnet sorted soon.

Given the two issues you've highlighted, the difference in gap between the snout and headlights from side to side and the offside wheel protruding from under the arch, I'd be looking at cutting a line from the rear of the bonnet to between the snout and offside headlight and putting a slim, triangular fillet into the gap to widen the front on that side but keep the rear matching the bulkhead. Hope that makes sense...

Oh, and I love the alloy bonnet corners. I'd be tempted to not prep them for paint that well and scuff off the surface at the edges to show the alloy below. That would give it the vintage, hand crafted aluminium (expensive!) body shell look.

Keep up the good work.
Old 9th July 2014, 09:24

Jerome is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I wish i had known all of this a year and a half ago!

The Spyder bonnet has some of the same problems,for example my left wheel is further in then my right.....

I,ve had sleepless nights over that and nearly broke up my whole floor-and bulkhead section because I was confinced I had build things "out of the center".

At last I was confinced by my sons:"You don't look at two sides of the car at the same time!""

Now I can live with it.

Success,Rob
Old 9th July 2014, 09:35

Towed
That's pretty much my plan but if I do it with the parts I'm replacing in Ali still part of th bonnet I will still end up with the back half of the tyre too exposed. I'm hoping that by going the route I have started down I can get the whole wheel covered...... Well that's the plan anyway
Mac
Old 9th July 2014, 09:38

Rob
I agree with the you can't see both sides at the same time theory but at the same time I would like to get it symettrical when measured only in feet and at the moment it wouldn't pass that test! The biggest issue is the covering of the DS wheel for the MOT all the other niggles can be lived with or worked on later, thanks for your interest btw
Mac
Old 9th July 2014, 09:39

Don't get too bogged down about symmetry. Apart from the scoops to clear the engines, none of these had major bonnet surgery -

Old 9th July 2014, 09:41

Towed I totally understand where your coming from unfortunately unless I'm wrong none of those are Navigator / Cordites so were dealing with an unknown quantity!
Mac
Old 9th July 2014, 09:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viatron View Post
Towed I totally understand where your coming from unfortunately unless I'm wrong none of those are Navigator / Cordites so were dealing with an unknown quantity!
Mac
That's right V, they're all original Sammio Spyder bonnets. The dimensions are all over the place though if you actually measure them. The trick is not to measure them...
Old 9th July 2014, 10:11

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

Not in the office/workshop right now (More on that later) but although the lack of symmetry has never been in doubt, I'm not so sure as to what is causing the wheels to be outside the bounds of the arches. The following photos show a Pilot with a Navigator bonnet and a Navigator with it's native bonnet from both sides and you can see the wheels are well within the arch boundary.

Note too that the Yellow car has an early Navigator bonnet which was laid up before the arches became 'rounder' and less like 50p coins.
Old 9th July 2014, 16:23

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Mac - I guess these photos...

Are related to the different angles I found on the bonnet lips of my body shell.

I also took another photo of my passenger side wheel arch today.
( With the car back on the ground, but the bonnet stuck up in the air. )

I guess the fact I am using 13" wheels, compared to your 14" ones gives me a bit more clearance.

Although do you know if the original Cordite bonnet was adjusted to match the new Navigator buck?

Because I have left the passenger side of my body shell untouched & therefore sitting ahead of the driver's side.

Whereas, looking at the work you did on the new Navigator buck, the passenger side was "cut & shut" backwards.

Either way, I am looking forward to see how you go about fixing things.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 9th July 2014, 17:12

Paul, the bonnet mould wasn't touched. Im still a bit mystified as to how Ribble HQ manage to get the wheels clearing. The only thing I can think of is that the choice of wheel comes into play but that still wouldn't account for the difference side to side. Confused but determined not to be beaten by a lump of inanimate fibreglass...
Old 10th July 2014, 18:27

swifty is on a distinguished road

Hi Viatron I had not realized these kits are that far out in alignment, your cad system and laser have highlighted just how far they are out in relation to the wheels.

Am i correct in thinking you have had some input with the new Navigator buck, if so do you know if the issues you are having along with paul have been fixed?
Old 10th July 2014, 21:30

Swifty,
I am more than a little "invested" as did a lot of work on the buck for the new Navigator body moulds. Have to say that its not my day job just an enthusiastic amateur so cannot claim that the new body moulds are 100% exactly right in all respects.
The Gen II Navigator bodies though, in my opinion, are at least usable and represent good value for money but be under no illusions that they are "paint ready" though. Andy and Ribble HQ seem to be making them work and maybe I'm just being a pick pickier because of my previous involvement.

That said if you want some bed time reading follow this link for a brief (ish) write up I did on the process that will show what perfection the current Navigator body is compared to the original that in no way was of saleable quality in my opinion, probably why the project was sold when it was......

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8okihbriew...tor%20Buck.pdf
Old 10th July 2014, 21:38

Is your body the navigator genII.
Old 10th July 2014, 21:40

Yep but the bonnet which is the only bit that is giving me a major headache is Gen I

Mac
Old 10th July 2014, 21:45

Quick visit to the lair this evening. Managed to fit my Ali panel and get the filler work about 80% there

Hopefully will get a few hours in tomorrow as well then all day Saturday so am hoping to make good progress. Target for tomorrow is to get what I have done today replicated on the drivers side and then move on to tackling the inside of the panels to make them very very rigid! watch this space.

TTFN

Mac
Old 10th July 2014, 21:51

It doesn't take you long to do the mods with the fiberglass, i like the way the bonnet trailing edges are made part of the main tub, less to catch your head on when the bonnet is hinged up.

How will the bond between the ally to fiberglass hold up when on the road with vibration etc?

Enjoying the build and it won't be long until it's on the road.

Last edited by swifty; 10th July 2014 at 21:52.. Reason: typo
Old 10th July 2014, 21:58

Swifty, they will hold up fine, they are fixed with a combination of fibreglass, PU adhesive and Qty 3 M8 countersunk bolts. In addition I plan to make another Ali closing panel for the rear which will be riveted to the tub, wheel arch and the top return to close the panel in totally at the back and add a lot of rigidity..
Mac