Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 30th April 2013, 22:29

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

I have bought the same lights from cbsonline - good choice I think.

Certainly didn't want land rover lights - even though I have a box of them. Did you know the original Daleks used landy side lights as 'ears'?

Last edited by landmannnn; 30th April 2013 at 22:33..
Old 1st May 2013, 00:15

Hammy is on a distinguished road

Theyre great looking and please bare in mind I put in months of planning and nearly effed it. if you want more info let me know mate...
Old 1st May 2013, 17:47

Busy with my son today my proper pride and joy so not much done......

Rear screen cut out all bar the corners which will be done tomorrow...

Got these wings from Seanick (cheers Nick) so I sprayed inside the door shuts to save buggering around later...

Prepped for bonding which was on the agenda tonight but no gun available for the resin. Found one now though... 40 flippin quid!!!!!

Thats all folks! Back tomorrow
Old 2nd May 2013, 13:05

Rear now fully fitted. When Chris dropped the kit off he accidentally brought fast setting resin. As a two man job it work out quite well and we did one edge at a time. Just be aware if you do the same to have 3 nozzles for the resin. it sets rock hard in 12 mins!!

prepping the area around the windscreen for paint this avo so the screen can go in, as I have mentioned before, this is my daily driver and needs to be back on the road. Hence the months of planning.
Old 2nd May 2013, 16:58

A couple of coats around the screen surround

First of many goes with the the filler Id imagine.....

Tomorrow its strip the front, fit the cut back wing mounts and dry fit the front.. :-)
Old 4th May 2013, 14:29

Default rear screen

Gents Im really struggling fitting the rear windscreen. I have cut the wholes correctly. Any tips welcomed please.
Old 4th May 2013, 16:31

Hammy, one of the posts on here talks about the rear window, sorry not sure which one.
Old 4th May 2013, 18:03

Dave Lowes is on a distinguished road
Wink

I struggled too. I ended up using string and pulling the seal on from the inside. It does go in eventually. Good luck
Old 4th May 2013, 18:08

Dave can u PM me your number and Ill give you a bell or meet up for a chat tomorrow at Stoneleigh?.....
Old 4th May 2013, 18:09

To expand on that i fitted the seal to the window first and then ran parachute chord all the way around the part of the seal that fits over the bodywork. Then lay the screen into position and get someone to very gently push down on it from outside. Meanwhile your inside the car feeding the seal on by slowly pulling the string out at right angles to the seal. Fairy liquid helps. ( there are other brands of washing liquid that are equally as good). Hope this helps.
Old 4th May 2013, 21:50

garyh is on a distinguished road

Is the lemon one the best one to use?
Old 5th May 2013, 19:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lowes View Post
To expand on that i fitted the seal to the window first and then ran parachute chord all the way around the part of the seal that fits over the bodywork. Then lay the screen into position and get someone to very gently push down on it from outside. Meanwhile your inside the car feeding the seal on by slowly pulling the string out at right angles to the seal. Fairy liquid helps. ( there are other brands of washing liquid that are equally as good). Hope this helps.

Nice to meet you today, didnt wanna bore your Missus by chatting too long. See you at the BBQ mate
Old 6th May 2013, 19:23

Default Bad Day!!

Well I got the front off eventually and ha

ving spoken to Chris at Stoneleigh and realising what my problem was fitting the rear screen me and my mate set about it today. It was going really well......

Then BANG!!!!!

My eyes were no more than 6 inches underneath this when it happened!
The bottom line is I did notice a very very very slight craze in the edge of one part of the screen just before fitting. It looked oh so minor but when the cord hit that bit it was a straight BANG!!! How I shut my eyes in time is a miracle, so I spat some glass and dressed my hands and arms. PS This is serious so Im not at all embarrassed to post it. If my mate had been applying pressure to the screen in the same place that he was 10-15 secs earlier Id be in hospital and praying I still had my eyes. Im not exagerating. I spat out glass and my mouth was bleeding. Gents itd be easy for me not to list this post to save build embarrassment but having known a guy that died under his kitcar its worth a mention.Ive been restoring and building cars for 27 years and I wasnt far from losing my sight. IF IT LOOKS WRONG IT IS WRONG Guys.....

Yes thats some of the blood, yes new sticker needed lol....

Last edited by Hammy; 6th May 2013 at 19:37..
Old 6th May 2013, 19:53

chargerstang is on a distinguished road

My condolences,
You have had a guardian angel for your eyes
Old 6th May 2013, 21:13

soporsche is on a distinguished road
Default lucky and unlucky

Hi Hamy, sorry to hear you were injured and relieved ( not as much as you) that it was not much worse!
I purchased an MOTd kitcar a few years ago, after getting it home spotted a few things that looked 'wrong', 6 weeks later a rotton chasis rail gave way whilst my mechanic was moving the car, thankfully slowly, and the the car did an unexpected handbrake style stop dead. Embarrassing that i bought a lemon (heart wanted it to be right, head ignored the smal but visible warning signs)... but i echo your sentiment exactly, if it looks wrong it probably is!

Shame i missed you at the show yesterday, Chris said you'd been on before i arrived. Maybe se you when i collect the car or at the BBQ. You wil have seen from my car theres plenty to put right before its in a sensible condition despite shiny surface, im OK with those things though and busy compiling a fix list with Chris.

Anyway back on topic, glad you well after close scare.
Old 6th May 2013, 21:30

Jeez that was lucky. Thanks for sharing the lesson. Your right that things can quickly go wrong. Hope your wounds heal soon.
Old 6th May 2013, 21:45

tonyt is on a distinguished road

Glad you are ok, there always seem to be good and bad days, chin up it will be worth the blood sweat and tears in the end! Recently had my own set back fitting the indian boot hinges, dropped two of the nuts behind the rear bulkhead (now recovered them) they were imperial threads not metric being lazy to sort through a big container of rusty mixed nuts I have to find some but I decided to buy new ones it was late and instead of waiting I fitted the hinges with only six nuts, I then fitted the gas struts to make the boot rise, result - broken hinges and damage to the rear deck, more ordered from the same company but picture was different and they were cheaper, they came and were not as good quality and the wrong size, right ones now on order and rear deck repaired, delay caused and lesson learned.
Old 6th May 2013, 21:46

thanks lads, like I say pride would've stopped me posting it but integrity made me do it. It shows that you get more complacent with age. new screen, glasses long sleeves and gloves next time. Onwards and upwards....
Old 6th May 2013, 22:06

tonyt is on a distinguished road

Well it pays to be honest about mistakes as we and all learn from them, must admit I did not post my broken hinges untill now, thanks for posting yours, I don't have rear glass but when you think some people on here are new to this and learning as they go, its worth posting informaion like this, mine is my first build but I did a Btech in auto enginering when I left school and prior to my current job, which I do not wish to disclose on a public forum had thirteen years working in an eginering field.
An example of this is the rear calipers on an Mx 5, when I tried to retract mine to fit new pads I had to look online and found that there is an allen screw hidden under a bold head that looks like its attaching a mounting bracket for the hand brake, a common problem and even garages do not know this and force the calipers causing them damage. Anyway onwards and upwards!
Old 6th May 2013, 22:11

Yeah, after spending several hours in A&E then the local eye hospital I war eye protection for.most jobs...