Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds

Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds For Vintage and Classic era kit cars. Post your build reports, problems and progress here

Old 18th December 2013, 14:56

Badgrizzly is on a distinguished road
Default Pics of Jag axle partway through rebuild and install

Her some pics so far. All nicely painted now. Soon to start re assembly then the frame mounting.

Old 18th December 2013, 14:58

Default whoops the link di not work

let me try again.

http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/Ba...0and%20install

Yep that worked. Gary
Old 23rd December 2013, 16:07

Red face Further Jag axle rebuild pics

Well getting with re assembly now. Got to make front tie bar with brackets for the anti twist tie bars to the chassis. Not too sure If I like the spire nuts on the outer pivots, but they 'hotrod' and that is the theme of peggy's rebuild. Got to make the radius rods, decided they are a requirement, going to be twin bar tapering to the front end bush. Then must get round to designing the mounting frame, hope to make it a bolt in job sitting inside the existing chassis frame, that will make it easier to drop out if I need to work on it at a later date.

Anyone got any views on my axle etc just go for it. positive or otherwise. Any knowledgeable ideas would also be useful.

http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/Ba...%20rebuild%202
Old 16th January 2014, 19:04

Default Jag axle install further work

Hi just an update. Axle mount being made using 50x50 box and 25x50 box in 3.5mm, also diff plate in 6mm. Set ride hide to chassis at 18.5 inches. Tyres will be 224/45x18s so will give an extra .5 inch lift at rear. Mount partly made up just got to do shock mounts and bottom plates so it will sit in chassis frame. drill mounting holes in chassis frame and axle mounting frame so that it can be unbolted and dropped out at a later date if needed to be worked on. Another couple of days working out and weld cutting etc, don't want to rush. Measured up for prop so can get that made up ready, have at look in CKC mage for prop firms, hope to have next week. Then measure up diff tie bars and outer radius rods. Ho Hum still its winter and cany use car at mo anyway.

Any way here are some more pics, anyone one with ideas views etc welcome to respond, good or bad.

http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/Ba...%20install%203
Old 23rd January 2014, 11:25

Default Axle mount frame made up at last

Well axle mount frame completed all bar paint and a couple of holes each side for the mount to the chassis, wont drill these until chassis dropped on frame.

I have made side flanges/wings out of 4mm plate to add support to frame and to support it when mounting bolts removed etc. This frame will just unbolt and drop out of chassis for any maintenance etc. Obviously will have to undo tie bars and radius rods, hoping to get a snap lock brake hose connection.

Used original Trike shock mounts as they were made of thick CDS tube and fitted once fettled. Also using a single shock mount to the rear so that if I need to remove a shock I can install a straight bar first to support axle swing arms.

Any way of to shed with it to paint it. Clean shocks up as the AVO's have got a bit dirty since last year. will need new bottom bushes as well as Jag shock bolt is 5/8" instead of 1/2". give em a clean up and paint up. Springs will be 175lbs to start with.

Still here's some more pics.

No one with any views good or bad let me know I am always learning, mainly cos I do not know really what I am doing.

http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/Badgrizzly/slideshow/
Old 23rd January 2014, 13:19

garyh is on a distinguished road

Nothing there, Grizzly.
Old 23rd January 2014, 13:55

Default I said I dont know what I am doing

Hi Gary

Here we go, did not copy whole of link.

I am a Gary as well.

http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/Ba...%20install%204
Old 25th January 2014, 18:55

Default Well its painted and bolted on

Hi So frame is all painted, shock cleaned and repainted as got a bit tarnished, ordered new bottom bushed for the 5/8 inch shaft, All good so far. Shocks dummied up on frame just waiting for correct length bolts.

Now to do brake hose connections and trim hole in floor back to chassis edge ready to wheel frame under. Then can measure up and make radius rods and anti twist tie bars.

End of Feb target looks good.

Frame is nice and strong probably slightly over engineered but 'belts and braces keep your trousers up' as me ol dad used to say. here's some more up to date pics.

http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/Ba...%20install%205

Old 25th January 2014, 19:44
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Nice work, enjoying your updates!
Old 26th January 2014, 18:40

Cheers Peter

I like what your doing with royale. Too much engine electronics for though. Cheers Gary
Old 3rd February 2014, 15:43

Default Diff tie bars made

Hi Finished the Diff to chassis tie bars, these were made from a tractor pin flange and CDS tube. The tie bars run both forward at an angle and to the side at an angle there by giving an anti twist bracing. That way the top 4 Diff bolts do not take all the side and to/fro load especially under power.

Next to finish the brake hose connections and put on a diff base tie plate, these will simply be 2 lengths of flat bar 40mm wide and 5mm thick, these run side to side on the diff base.

Then onto the radius rods from the bottom dog bone arms to the chassis again these will stop the arms trying to walk under power load.

Anyway here's some more pics.

http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/Ba...%20install%206
Old 19th February 2014, 18:47

Default Axle all done and finished, nearly.

Well axle all done, tie bars done and dusted, radius rods made and installed. Coil-over springs changed cos I cocked up my calculations re spring rates so new 325 lb springs fitted. Prop bolted up, now need to bleed brakes with my nice new vacuum bleeder. Check all nut and bolt torques.

Then I've just got to re route the exhaust because guess what it does not go where the old one did, hey ho. Got the 90 degree bends in stainless to weld up.

Target fro the end of next week looking good, as I want to go to the hotrod swap meet at the Essex arena to have a looksee for some retro parts.

Oh and here's a couple of pics.

http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/Ba...%20install%207

Last edited by Badgrizzly; 19th February 2014 at 18:52.. Reason: add photo link
Old 28th February 2014, 18:21

Default Bloody hell it works

All is good bled brakes took ages kept getting air in there somewhere but all done, Rerouted the exhaust to run under the floorboards, will stick pics on soon.

So took it for a quick spin to make sure all good, needed to adjust ride height as tyres scubbed on arches on the track from my garage, raised it a half inch, also clicked the shock to 12 points just midway on shocks all seems good. ride is ace. Going to give it a longer run Sunday as going to the arena Essex for the hotrod parts swap meet/autojumble as want a few retro bits.

All good, now to give her a good clean.

G