Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Miglia Builds and discussion

Miglia Builds and discussion Miglia bodied builds

Old 22nd November 2015, 10:55

1iTim is on a distinguished road

Been a while.

Here's floor done (drivers side) will kick on from here
Old 23rd November 2015, 16:27

Paul L is on a distinguished road

It looks like you have made a nice job of that floor.

Good luck with the rest of it, Paul.
Old 20th March 2016, 09:21

Well long time no see .

Heard tribute bought miglia - and are working on the frame... Maybe make yours from scratch, guys. Here's my mod to get the steering in an acceptable position.

http://s1332.photobucket.com/user/1i...clolo.jpg.html

I'll need to slim the driver seat a tad too.
Old 20th March 2016, 18:44

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1iTim View Post
Well long time no see .

Heard tribute bought miglia - and are working on the frame... Maybe make yours from scratch, guys. Here's my mod to get the steering in an acceptable position.
I'll need to slim the driver seat a tad too.
Hi Tim

The Miglia frame jig and "basic" frame that came with the body moulds can best be described as shocking. I will post some pics before it goes to the scrap man.
Old 21st March 2016, 08:30

Marc F is on a distinguished road

Will be interesting to see how you make your new one. Mine is "very" basic as it was specially made for my Spitfire body, and I think I will extensively rework it to provide additional rigidity and crash protection
Old 10th May 2016, 05:28

Not really ready for the body but wanted to see it on. Also helps get the wheel position right.

There are a couple of "areas of opportunity" (ie problems)
1. The master cylinders
2. The steering shaft
3. The radiator

[URL=http://s1332.photobucket.com/user/1iTim/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps3n0sq2jj.jpeg.html][/
Old 10th May 2016, 06:40

It is nice to see the body shell on, even if it is just temporary.

Good luck with your "areas of opportunity", Paul.
Old 10th May 2016, 19:44

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Tim ...My experiences are purely Sammio , so can advise to a certain extent but not totally ...

The radiator on all Sammio Spyders is moved forward and down , it is lent backwards , two Herald top hoses are joined using a steel tube sleeve to create a longer top hose and , traditionally , I used an after market universal bendy hose from our local accessory store for the borttom one ...fan is removed from the engine and a flat electric fan like these below is fitted to the radiator.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2722126771...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The lower level of radiator means you need to fit an expansion bottle up on your bulkhead with the outlet higher than your thermostat housing ideally ..

Steering and master cylinders on a Sammio were not really tampered with other than relieving an area below the column as it exits the bulkhead to allow the column to drop slightly ...I deliberately kept it stockish and simple on the Sammio's using the bulkhead and all parts there of as much as possible ..

The Miglia rear cockpit and stretched nose styling is more challenging ..
I know that the frame building was never done by Mike himself , hes not really a welder / fabricator ..his area of expertise is body repairs and paint ...he's not really a car builder as such ..he was having the frames made by his transport guy who is a banger racing car builder ...The last few frames I saw were shocking ..I asked Chris for the pedal plate from his Miglia frame he had and one , just one , tap with the hammer and it flew off catching me by surprise !!

The master cylinder issue is probably as simple as move them forward ..but check your legroom and pedal position before you make that permanent ...obvious I know but needed mentioning ...if not , maybe some surgery to the rear of the engine bay with a little hatch to access them ?
The Ferrari 410 Sport that was built for the Carrera Panamericana is one of my favourite cars from the mid 50's and has a very complicated bonnet and series of hatches and vents etc..so some access panels would not be too out of place ?

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/image...pyder-5284.jpg

Steering ...not sure whats going on but a combination of moving it a bit and some universal u/j's should sort that out ...

All annoying I know but the Miglia is a slightly harder car to build than its cousins ..
Old 10th May 2016, 22:05

Thanks Paul, Lancelot. I added welds to the plate anyway(and an extra triangulation strut). While I'm loathe to move it, shifting it forward (towards the front) would be a good thing for pedal placement but may give even more awkward placement of the cyl caps - right on the bonnet shut line. The steering is the most challenging in terms of supporting all the new uni joined shafts. Radiator can drop a notch on the existing shroud, that should do it with one or two of those fans.

T

Last edited by 1iTim; 10th May 2016 at 22:07.. Reason: Info
Old 11th May 2016, 07:21

Thumbs up on the triangulation ...Mikes understanding of frame construction didn't involve triangulating or bracing ..there was one sat outside his unit a year or so ago and it was swaying in the wind !!

....what about converting the cylinders to remote reservoirs like the early Beetles and then you can put them anywhere ?
Old 11th May 2016, 17:52

I've been stewing on this today and I'm probably setting myself up for being verbally attacked but when the Miglia came out , it was Heralded as the all new , all straightened , all sorted car the Sammio should have been . As a result the price was increased over the Sammio price by about 5-600 quid approx. (Based on a similar Cordite )

Truth was you paid your extra money and got a better body in some degrees , arches rounded , shiny ...but you still got tape measure variances , panel fit issues , wheel arch location discrepencies challenging build problems ..you also got a thinner layup than a Sammio ...and the internal frame that was seriously lacking in strength , accuracy , purpose etc...no tunnel , no bracing ... In other words , the Miglia was no better an offering than the Sammio was at the end of the day despite the best efforts to hype it up ...

As crude as my concept was , it worked ...looking at Tims car , without major mods , it doesnt work ...

I do think they are a pretty little car though ... and despite the trials , no less a taxing build than any Hot Rod project and just as , if not more so , worthwhile on that first drive !!

Last edited by lancelot link; 11th May 2016 at 18:22..
Old 12th May 2016, 00:43

Lancelot I was also a bit disappointed particularly in the frame, not square, poor weld penetration, uneven lengths everywhere. I know it won't be seen much but tribute have a pretty easy job to make a massive improvement.

However it's all been fun, now I can weld! And I still have the only one in australia and will still come in under half the cost of a "seven" and a quarter the cost of a cobra. Should also be 50kg or so lighter than a build with the bulkhead retained.

No regrets.

Build on!
Old 12th May 2016, 08:32

Lance, you don't sound bitter at all...

Me, I went for the Miglia as it was what I saw at a show, so knew nothing of the various "shenanigans" around body designs etc.

Mike agreed to develop a Spitfire version for me, so that clinched it.

The build quality is not great, but then I didn't pay much for it - £1,200. SO I knew exactly what I was getting myself into.

The rest is what I expect from a kit car - a lot of customisation/modification. This is not a well sorted kit car offering, it is a body shell and "sort of" frame for a car builder to develop his own ideas from.

Hard work, yes. But if we wanted it easy we could go to Gardner Douglas and buy a sorted Cobra for £40k.
Old 12th May 2016, 16:11

NOT BITTER MATE ...I just used to get pissed off when the digs about Sammio quality were being thrown around when , in reality , the Miglia was no better in the long term .....the bodies were slightly better , the frames were far worse ..shiny doesnt make something good . It looks great in pics but doesn't change build issues . I saw your body before you received it so understand what you mean about modifications ...ironically one of the common issues with the Sammio , wheel arch centralization , never got fixed in the remoulding and even your shortened version suffers with that ailment .
I totally agree about the GD. comment ...The Sammio project was born from my frustrations of not being able to consider a finished car and having to make do with building something myself ...

The Miglia and Sammio are what they are ...a starting point , as you say ....I have no issues with either product and having just finished a 'fast track' Sammio , have just bought another unfinished one and have also ordered a Miglia body from Tribute !!
Old 12th May 2016, 16:17

LoL. My interest stems from my friend getting a Dutton 30 odd years ago, so I know all about shoddy workmanship :-)

When I ever get back in the garage I will make some progress. And a key objective for me is to improve the frame - mine is very basic, and if I am going t add weight I definitely want to add stiffness at the same time - not just for handling, but for my safety.

Peace :-)
Old 12th May 2016, 16:29

Totally agree about Safety ...The Sammio puts you inside a fairly rigid inch box 'playpen' ..not perfect but a degree of protection ...The Miglia frames I have seen don't offer that comfort ..They are easily braced and strengthened up ...inch box is very cheap and it doesnt take long to create something a bit more sturdy ...Oxford 13/60's frame is particularly substancial on his build and worth looking at as he has created his own bulkhead framework .
Old 12th May 2016, 16:31

My thoughts exactly. The opening doors create a "hole" that I need to ponder on, but 1" Square section tube will be easy enough to sort out
Old 12th May 2016, 17:19

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
Oxford 13/60's frame is particularly substancial on his build and worth looking at as he has created his own bulkhead framework .
It is totally over the top but it has been great fun doing it. I'm just starting the preparation for painting and the aluminium panelling.

Old 12th May 2016, 18:56

ThatAmericanChap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford1360 View Post
It is totally over the top but it has been great fun doing it. I'm just starting the preparation for painting and the aluminium panelling.
Good Lord. Now that's chassis work. Bravo!

Old 13th May 2016, 06:08

1iTim - After having a quick look back through a few other Miglia builds here are a few more thoughts:

Most people have made modifications to the framework, especially for the pedals and steering.

However, I've not seen anyone chop up the body shell to get a decent fit.
Although, it does look like you have to line things up in a particular way.

DaveCymru also removed some of the support structure under his bonnet.
( In fact his build is a great reference document. )

Finally, apologies for the slight thread hijack below.

Good Luck, Paul.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Oxford - Great photo.

If only there was a thread on the Sammio forum 'next door' where you could post things like this.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Last edited by Paul L; 18th May 2016 at 05:27.. Reason: Playing Nice ;)