Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 25th August 2016, 20:56

306craig is on a distinguished road

Had a drive round 3 paint shops yesterday afternoon and got quotes ranging from 1.5K to 'wouldn't touch it with a barge pole mate'. In between was another for at least 3 grand. So, opting for the 1.5K it is now time to strip all the lights out, get the door seals sorted (seal arrived yesterday ) and set to filling, shaping and smoothing. I reckon there is about 40 hours needed to get it to the required level for painting. I am no bodywork guru so not looking forward to it, but it has to be done!
Old 25th August 2016, 20:57

mazdarazmataz is on a distinguished road

Be brave, paint it yourself?
Old 25th August 2016, 21:40

I wish I could mate. But a combination of working on the drive, no compressor, not a clue about painting a car and the fact I am building it for a mate are putting me off! Having said that, I was reading the paint thread, thinking about buying a 6 x 3 gazebo and buying a second hand electric compressor, but still very nervous about it.
Old 26th August 2016, 18:23

Drummajor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 306craig View Post
I wish I could mate. But a combination of working on the drive, no compressor, not a clue about painting a car and the fact I am building it for a mate are putting me off! Having said that, I was reading the paint thread, thinking about buying a 6 x 3 gazebo and buying a second hand electric compressor, but still very nervous about it.
I painted mine myself the first time in a gazebo . Was ok, not great.
In January this year I tiki it to my local paint guy and paid him £1000 , much better.
I did have to strip it and a lot of prep myself though.
Old 6th September 2016, 21:06

Conscious of the fact I have not done a decent update in a while, so thought I would spend a couple of minutes bringing everybody up to speed.

Well, after hoping to have been ready for paint at least 4 weeks ago, it seems to just be dragging on at the moment. However I think there may be light at the end of the tunnel. I have all the rear lights stripped out, final adjustments and trimming done around the exhaust (and new, lower hangers on). I have finally got around to fibreglassing the rear support beam (for want of a better expression) in, and the boot is now watertight. Not neat, but at least it is waterproof:

I have invested in a long board and have started getting rid of high spots and bad joint lines, and filling low spots:

Last edited by 306craig; 16th June 2019 at 22:05..
Old 6th September 2016, 21:12

And now for a question:

My bonnet fit is absolutely awful at the moment, and I am seriously considering moving the hinges from the front to the rear to see if I can improve the shut line. Has anyone else had major problems, and if so how did they get around them?

Oh yeah, and my new 50mm spacers for the rear arrived this week, new pic of the new wider stance rear end coming soon!

Last edited by 306craig; 16th June 2019 at 22:09..
Old 6th September 2016, 21:50

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

I ended up making several strategic cuts on the underside of the bonnet. Then, when the cuts were enough to get it to the right shape I used fibreglass matt to "repair" my cuts.

Then a couple of months later the bonnet blew off (not while driving!) , so I got some more practice repairing it.

The other options are to use bonnet pins in each corner (no hinges), reshape using heat and a couple of ratchet straps.

Last edited by landmannnn; 6th September 2016 at 21:53..
Old 6th September 2016, 22:16

When you say cuts to the underside I am presuming you don't mean all the way through? More just enough to allow the bonnet to 'bend' into the right shape?
Old 7th September 2016, 09:18

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

I've got a spare lid from the wheelie bin you can have. I think it will be a better fit
Old 7th September 2016, 11:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
I've got a spare lid from the wheelie bin you can have. I think it will be a better fit
LOL. How rude! True, but very rude! I will see what can be done.
Old 10th September 2016, 15:10

fatbloke is on a distinguished road

Craig, I cut out virtually all of the inner lining of my bonnet to make it sit properly. Can't remember, is your a MK2? Having taken out most of the inner lining it now sit too low so I need to put a seal around the edge to lift it up a bit.
Old 10th September 2016, 22:16

I got my bonnet to fit nicely in the end by using indasa power weld to add material and close the gaps. bonnet pins in each corner and a little ledge in the middle top and bottom for the bonnet to slightly bend around when tensioned with the bonnet pins
Old 11th September 2016, 08:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
Craig, I cut out virtually all of the inner lining of my bonnet to make it sit properly. Can't remember, is your a MK2? Having taken out most of the inner lining it now sit too low so I need to put a seal around the edge to lift it up a bit.
You are right mate, mine is a mk2. At the moment it isn't sitting on anything that is making it sit too high, it is just a really bad shape. With no adjustment at all it sits OK at the hinges, way too low at the windscreen and not too bad at the sides. I currently have the bonnet bump stops wedged under the back which has got me a fairly good line at the screen however awful at the sides - as though the bonnet is far too flat.

I am thinking of following some of the guys advice and grinding some grooves into the underside so I can bend it I to shape. I think I need to lower the bonnet pins too. I was thing of fibre glassing some steel strips into the underside too, give it some strength and help it hold the new shape?

Last edited by 306craig; 11th September 2016 at 08:28..
Old 11th September 2016, 08:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdarazmataz View Post
I got my bonnet to fit nicely in the end by using indasa power weld to add material and close the gaps. bonnet pins in each corner and a little ledge in the middle top and bottom for the bonnet to slightly bend around when tensioned with the bonnet pins
Thanks mate. Will have a look. Any pictures of it on your thread?
Old 11th September 2016, 08:44

image hosting over 2mb

The black lip is all power weld which brought the gaps in nicely, and a lot easier to use than p40.

I had to add about an inch to the front edge and the rightside edge
Old 11th September 2016, 09:42

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You are right mate, mine is a mk2. At the moment it isn't sitting on anything that is making it sit too high, it is just a really bad shape. With no adjustment at all it sits OK at the hinges, way too low at the windscreen and not too bad at the sides. I currently have the bonnet bump stops wedged under the back which has got me a fairly good line at the screen however awful at the sides - as though the bonnet is far too flat.

I am thinking of following some of the guys advice and grinding some grooves into the underside so I can bend it I to shape. I think I need to lower the bonnet pins too. I was thing of fibre glassing some steel strips into the underside too, give it some strength and help it hold the new shape?
Makes sense.
It isn't too difficult and bearing in mind you will probably be sticking some sound deadening on at a later stage, you dont have to make it pretty.
Old 13th September 2016, 11:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdarazmataz View Post
Thanks mate, and thanks for the picture.
Old 14th September 2016, 16:31

Quote:
Thanks mate. Will have a look. Any pictures of it on your thread?
How expensive is that stuff????
Old 23rd October 2016, 19:54

Hi guys. Conscious of the fact that I haven't been on in a while. Things have been bust at work, with the contract I work on getting taken over by a new company. Our office has been dropped from 3 to 2 people, had to apply and be interviewed for my own job, but now all sorted and back to normal (ish).

Anyway enough of my moaning, on with the car news -

Invested in a gazebo to improve autumn working conditions:

And finally bit the bullet and started sorting out my awful bonnet lines:

The bonnet lines are gradually getting better:

And as of tonight I am finally happy with my bonnet. The rest can be done by the body shop:

Last edited by 306craig; 16th June 2019 at 22:22..
Old 27th July 2018, 18:29

Default New Tribute member

Hi guys and girls. At last I am back. I would imagine there a lot of you out there thought my build had bitten the dust and had been reduced to scrap of Ebay as yet another 'unfinished project'. Well I am back!!!! And more importantly the old girl is now ready for her first MOT as an MX250!!!!

Last edited by 306craig; 16th June 2019 at 22:23..