Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 7th August 2011, 15:08

lancelot link is on a distinguished road
Default Sammio 550 Packages

These have been a bit of a stop , start project as time has been tight and they are a bit more complex than our other offerings to create...

Basically , we can now offer a body in the style of the Porsche 550 Spyders from early to mid 50's. Our version has been tweaked a bit to make it our own and is based around an 87'' wheelbase. ( most replica's of this model are 85-86'' , genuine cars are 83'' but thats considered a bit short for handling and space issues )

We are basing ours around a modified Beetle chassis rather than the regular totally new frame options available ....it helps keep the cost down , makes keeping an age related registration a bit easier when SVA'd ( yes , these will need to travel that route ....) and is a bit easier for the home builder to build.

Your original Beetle chassis will need the engine cradle removing , our adaptor plate welding in place to accept the new rear subframe , the original floorpans removing and the spine shortening by 16.5'' - we can do this to a customers chassis for £350.

The package we are offering is by no means a total package ...we are offering an outer skin bodyshell with seperate double skinned bonnet , seperate double skinned doors , integral dash ( LHD or RHD ) and seperate clamshell rear section.

BODY ONLY - £1495

We also offer a rear tubular subframe ( example pictured is a pattern , so in 25mm box but production versions will be tubular as they are visible when clamshell is open. Also doesn't show shock mounts yet , but they are incled , as is rear framework for hinging the clamshell.. )
This subframe enables you to 'flip' the engine and gearbox around to make the car mid-engined , as per the original cars. You will need to turn the diff. and rear halfshafts around as well to get the correct drive format. This flipping procedure is regularly done in the U.S. as a means of making sand rails more competitive and also in the building of Trikes etc.....as a result of this , mid mounted shift kits , hydraulic clutch conversions etc are all easily available to make this conversion reasonably straightforward.
This rear framework is bolted to the chassis by means of the original body mounts and a conversion plate that replaces the original engine cradle.
A seperate perimeter framework is also available to support the rear bulkhead , create outer cill bracing , new floorpan area and front bulkhead hoop.
There is a seperate subframe that supports the nose of the car as well....

METALWORK AS ABOVE - £600

To complete the mid mounting procedure , you will need extended and dropped rear spring plate extenders..these simple bolt to the original spring plate and axle.

£60 pair.

And a rear adaptor plate to accept the new subframe £30 each

ALL THE ABOVE BOUGHT AS A PACKAGE £1950 ( OR £2250 IF WE MODIFY CHASSIS )

This will still leave the home builder quite a lot of work , we are working with a VW parts manufacturer to create hinges , latches etc but this is all readily available from various sources already , so not too much of an issue...but it isn't as simple a build as our others , it will need SVA etc...
It is however , a cheaper than currently available option to build an iconic sportscar in your own way to a level of finish that suits your pocket and tastes.

Finished examples of these cars , not the Banhams , but the 'correct' style examples regularly sell for between £15-30,000.....so despite being a slightly more complicated build than our regular Sammio Spyders , the rewards are there to be gained .....

heres a few pics of the kit under development. It doesn't show the frame in its entirety - front hoop and floor braces aren't present. We are accepting orders now ....usual 4-5 week lead time applies ...

THANK YOU FOR READING

Last edited by lancelot link; 7th August 2011 at 15:23..
Available from eBay
Old 7th August 2011, 15:58

davecymru is on a distinguished road

very pretty!
Old 7th August 2011, 16:57

Sammio Builder is on a distinguished road

Wow Gary, that does look gorgeous.
Well done on creating another great car!

Trevor.
http://www.sammiospyder.blogspot.com/
Old 8th August 2011, 20:31

Made great progress today and have the framework pretty much at the stage it will be supplied ...Basically , I have decided to do a perimeter frame with rear bulkhead hoop , double front bulkhead hoop to accept steering and then some under wing and along bonnet edge supports that tie down into the front clip area...this will be a nice strong support and give lots of surfaces to attach inner wing panels , tank bracketry , hinges etc etc. There is also outrigger style braces supplied seperately as a weld on item to give you a frame for flooring , body mounting etc.....The internal body framing will have to be dealt with seperately as any more complex a starter frame and fitting it and the body gets involved....

pictures to follow tomorrow hopefully.
Old 10th August 2011, 09:20

Heres a more comprehensive look at our frame.

I NEED TO POINT OUT HERE THAT THE REAR SUBFRAME WILL NOT BE IN BOX STEEL AS SHOWN BUT MADE FROM CDS TUBING FORMED BY A LOCAL TUBE BENDERS....A couple of people have assumed they will be as shown and that's just not going to be strong or pretty enough.

The complete framework as shown and described (framework pictured is only tack welded to create a jig at present ) will be £650 ...

Frame shown is designed to accept a spun aluminium buggy style fuel tank in the nose and there will be just enough room to carry a Beetle spare wheel with a low profile tyre....This will also give the car valuable ballast up front.

The framework is now going to be jigged , we are having these made for us ...so we are now ready to accept orders...

THANK YOU

Old 10th August 2011, 12:02

garyh is on a distinguished road
Default nice one

Very impressive, you and Mike are quite good at this building lark...
I'm sure you could do this full time.
how much could one be built for exc. Bug. Oh and what was the suitable Bug to look out for?

Maybe you could start a thread for the overall company, just to see how you do all this?

GaryH.
Old 10th August 2011, 15:47

If we built one to full spec. using a customers car , about £9000 ish....If we supplied the car about £10,000 ( we would need to strip and dispose of the unwanted bits )

If you built one yourself , the kits roughly £2000 , you need a few bits and bobs on top ...about £1000-1500 , paint , trim etc. guessing about £5000-6000 figure.

Compare that to 550 prices on ebay etc.....!!! ( not banhams as they are a different thing altogether )

forgot to mention above - we can get the rear subframes powder coated for an extra £40 in black or about £60 for a colour....front frames aren't worth doing at this stage as bracketry etc needs to be added to them during the build and they are hidden from view on a completed car...

Any pre-73 ish Beetle that isn't a 1302/1303 type will do ( curved screen and Macpherson struts distinguish these models and make them unsuitable...you can change the frameheads on the chassis but it is aggro... )....pre-67 gives you the correct 550 style stud pattern to use period wheels....a lot of replicas run on the 4 stud later pattern , so not crucial. You can also get adaptors to change the later 4 stud to the earlier wide 5 style...The post 67 cars do tend to be a bit cheaper as well....

Last edited by lancelot link; 10th August 2011 at 15:52..
Old 13th September 2011, 11:08

p4spares is on a distinguished road

hi, any picture of the 'final result'? exists a demostrator?
thanks!
Old 13th September 2011, 16:56

jw52 is on a distinguished road

Nice work Garry Good eye for design and detail. I WANT ONE!!!

Old 13th September 2011, 16:56

That's looking really good! She's certainly a low beastie ain't she.

I take it that you're going to put kit No.1 through the IVA to make sure that it's all hunky dorey?
I read the IVA regs a few times when i was doing the MR2/Lambo and as far as i can see, they seem to be "tweaked" constantly, so good luck!
Old 13th September 2011, 19:47

hI,
No demonstrator at present but we are currently putting an example together for a German customer at present as well as starting a second one for my partner , Jennette , to replace the old 66 Sammio Spyder she recently sold...

I am developing as I go but have cracked the clutch , pedal , steering issues as well as most other bits ...( I build the car in my head every day - it cannot be normal !! ) I have yet to create door hinges , latches etc but do know what I am going to do , just haven't done it yet !

Steel plates will be available for door and shut bracing and fitment of hinges etc...I am also making a seperate mould for people to add the lower bulkhead panel that 550's have - the dash on a real car continues in an oval to create a front bulkhead similar to an Aeroplane - we are offering that as part of the kit , although not shown yet.
I am also offering folded inner cill sections in 2mm steel with holes in them , again similar to a genuine car , although there are lots of variations on these cars - they changed a lot for a limited run car ! I suspect they were constantly developed as time went on...These will provide a cosmetic solution to the gap below the door as well as offering a strong platform to support the door step as well as a starting point to create framework for bracing where required....

Although this all reads quite complex compared to our Spyder & G-46 creations , they are still a fairly simple car to build as the Beetle offers its major components to the car with minimal modification.
The Sammio ethos of keep it simple and cheap still applies !

I got the rear framework back from the tube benders today ....I needed to modify slightly and return it for a slight jig modification , but its pretty much as shown below....It utilizes the stock Beetle engine mounts and cradle ,
a seperate gearbox mount and removable lower rails so the engine and box can be removed as easily as on a stock car...
This final piece being sorted means that this kit is properly ready , no holdups , to buy now !!

3 WEEKS FOR A BODY , 2 WEEKS FOR A FRAME AT PRESENT....£400 DEPOSIT SECURES AN ORDER !!

THANK YOU
Old 14th September 2011, 05:46

Patton is on a distinguished road

Cracking Car Gromit (opps Gary) was in the garage yesterday MOT soon.PAT
Old 12th October 2011, 11:39

Some updated pics - car now has hinged and latched bonnet ( hinges available )
and I have hung the doors - this was a total a*seache to do but now I have sussed it , it will be fairly straight forward. I have used modified Scimitar hinges and will probably offer these on an exchange basis ( I have about 4 sets at present , perhaps G46 builders can offer them as they don't need them ! )

Also have steering column fitted and modified - cut down Morris Minor top section with modified mounts and a pair of MK1 Golf u/j's joined together with steel tube supported by a pillow block bearing....

Going to get the car latched and hopefully a screen on for the show , probably not much more....

Last edited by lancelot link; 12th October 2011 at 11:42..
Old 12th October 2011, 12:57

jmc14 is on a distinguished road

Looking real good. I don't know where you find the time!
Old 13th October 2011, 10:52

starting to fit the clamshell....

not sure exactly how yet , but its nice to see the back end in place...

Old 13th October 2011, 11:36

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

I've seen a cople of 550 and 718 replicas that had their clamshells hinged to the body rather than the back of the chassis. Made all-round access to the engine much easier. Just a thought.
Old 16th October 2011, 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
I've seen a cople of 550 and 718 replicas that had their clamshells hinged to the body rather than the back of the chassis. Made all-round access to the engine much easier. Just a thought.
NOT A BAD IDEA .....I need to build this one fairly stockish for the customer , but might work on future cars ....

I have made the hinges and pivots now and Mike and myself put it back together quickly before we left and it seems to be working ok....
Old 20th October 2011, 19:47

Clamshell is fitted on hinges ....I made some pivots using my rabbit ear brackets I use for the Spyder frame feet.

Works well - bit tight at present but that will help keep it open at the show !

I had to fit inner ribs to mount the hinges and Mike has added inner braces at the front to hold the clamshell shape. We will fit these braces and ribs to the clamshells as standard on the kit as it is important bracing and not straight forward for the home builder to do..

I have also modified a Beetle numberplate light to look more like the Porsche item and moulded it ...first one is on the car at the show...these will also be supplied as standard with the kit or available for £15 seperately ( can be used on Spyders ! )

Just screen and headlights to go on to dress it a bit for Exeter !
Old 22nd October 2011, 17:43

Well you made it and you did both have a look of "well we're finally here"

The 550 certainly seemed to be drawing a lot of attention and it is very pretty! From what i could see from wandering around the show there were other "kits" for similar cars but you were the only person there showing a car "in the rough" as it were, and while that may not have been intentional i think it actually attracted people! I hope tomorrow goes as well as today looked like it was going!
Old 22nd October 2011, 18:16

Patton is on a distinguished road

A very tidy little car which I really like..Got to be seen, PAT