Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 1st November 2012, 21:39

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

I agree Paul. After waiting a good 3 months after my Spyder's Bournemouth inspection I chased it with DVLA and similarly to you, the paperwork was still in a tray on someone's desk. Once kick started my V5C arrived in just over a week. I remember Gaz had the same experience. Great to hear yours is sorted now.
Old 1st November 2012, 21:41

I didn't have to show any receipts for either Spyder nor Cordite inspections
Old 1st November 2012, 22:33

Paul D is on a distinguished road

The very helpful instructions shown on the Sammio company website under the section 'Registering your Sammio', originally written by Gary, indicates that the original body package receipt from the Sammio company should be included with the V627/1 form along with your V5c registration document when applying for the inspection.

I have no idea if this is essential, but it seemed safer to go along with providing receipts since I had them available. Gary kindly submitted the paperwork for the inspection on my behalf for a very modest fee and all I had to do was turn up on the day. It was all over in about ten minutes. I presume that with his past experience of these inspections Gary had found it useful to provide the receipts at some point, perhaps to formally verify the origin of the body.

Paul D.
Old 23rd November 2012, 19:36

Paul D is on a distinguished road

Surprise surprise, guess what turned up in today's post at long last!

I now have a V5C for a 'Sammio Spyder'.

Section 3. special notes on the front page say: Kit built / converted - assembled from parts all of which may not be new. (They're not wrong there).

For the record it is nine weeks to the day from our inspection in Poole, so if you are in a hurry - I would suggest you book early!
Old 23rd November 2012, 23:35

Nike55 is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on receiving your paperwork!

The way it's going I should get mine by Easter. Hell why not, resurrection and all that!
Old 5th April 2014, 16:49

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Anyone got recent experience of registering their rebody since DVLA local offices all closed last year?

http://dvla-offices.co.uk/peterborough/

Andys P57 & 85 - I have to say the 'Registering a Ribble Kit' page on your website is currently a bit devoid of info, with just the form (helpfully) partially completed but nothing else.

How are you guys registering your turnkeys? Do you still have to present the vehicle somewhere at the half built stage, or is it all by post these days?
Old 10th April 2014, 21:27

blooka is on a distinguished road
Smile

I`m getting close to the stage of registering Mr T and would also like to know how easy it is to get my sammy through
Old 11th April 2014, 08:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by blooka View Post
I`m getting close to the stage of registering Mr T and would also like to know how easy it is to get my sammy through
Hi Blooka. The process was very straightforward for me, there was a chap at the Peterborough DVLA office who had done half a dozen Sammios so knew what he was dealing with.

Others weren't so lucky with inexperienced local officers telling other builders they needed to go down the onerous IVA route.

Trouble is, DVLA have now closed all the local offices, which is why I posted my request for current information - I'm getting the itch to build another - but nobody has yet answered how you go about changing the log book and/or having it inspected.

Come on Andy's P57 & 85, I know you're busy but let's have some solid information about the current rebody inspection process. After all, there might be another kit sale on the cards...
Old 11th April 2014, 10:15

Hi All,

I'm afraid we're as much in the dark as you are at present as all our current turnkeys are bound for France, Germany and Greece who all require export to be made with the original donor V5 and any changes are made 'in country'. We have just started Navigator Turnkey 003 which will be a UK based car and as soon as we make our way through the legalities of the new system we'll be posting our experiences here along with an update of the registration page on our web site.

We wish we could be more helpful here but until we've done it, all we can go on is other builder's experiences.
Old 8th May 2014, 09:07

mas123mas is on a distinguished road

Hi All, I am now Very Very Confused.

Obviously I am not at the inspection stage yet (far from it), yet I have been trying to understand the DVLA inspections process.

Searching the internet, for DVLA, VOSA etc.... only to find out VOSA now defunct and is now called DVSA. So I called them, absolutely no use what so ever, they told me call DVLA. Vehicle Registration and Tax enquiries 0300 790 6802, they where a little bit more helpful.

There recommendation where put the vehicle through Voluntary IVA (which is more expensive than a normal IVA?????). So, I said that I had been informed that I do not need a IVA, just an inspection.

The nice lady then said, go on the website on .gov website and she give me the web-address https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-de...need-to-update, read it does it fall in to any of these catogies, I said "Yes", replacing the bodyshell.
1. Changes you'll need to update
You must update your registration certificate (V5C) if there are any mistakes on it, or if you make any of the following changes to your vehicle:
  • colour
  • engine
  • cylinder capacity (cc)
  • fuel type
  • replacing or modifying the chassis or bodyshell
  • seating capacity
  • weight of a goods vehicle
  • tax class changed to ‘disabled’

She then said, just amend the "V5c" and complete a "Built up vehicle report V627/1", and send to Swansea, they will then process.

I like this approach but surely, there must be an inspection???
Old 8th May 2014, 09:24

froggyman is on a distinguished road

The next section reads as follows:-

Changes that may need to be inspected
Your vehicle may have to be inspected after reporting any of the following changes:

wheel plan
body type (DVLA give a body type description based on the vehicle’s external appearance)
vehicle identification number (VIN)
chassis number
frame number for motorbikes
DVLA will tell you if your vehicle needs an inspection.

So in our case an inspection will probably be the case.
Old 8th May 2014, 09:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyman View Post
The next section reads as follows:-

Changes that may need to be inspected
Your vehicle may have to be inspected after reporting any of the following changes:

wheel plan
body type (DVLA give a body type description based on the vehicle’s external appearance)
vehicle identification number (VIN)
chassis number
frame number for motorbikes
DVLA will tell you if your vehicle needs an inspection.

So in our case an inspection will probably be the case.
I mentioned this to the lady on the phone, she asked about the body type, I said "it will be a two-door open top", she then said, it is registered on your V5c as a 2-door.

My V5c does not say saloon or convertible as my other Vitesse and herald do.

I think there will be an inspection, but I will just have to wait and find out. Hoping some else get to the inspection stage before I do. Just prove that DVLA and DVSA (VOSA) don't talk to each other.
Old 8th May 2014, 16:16

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas123mas View Post
... Hoping someone else gets to the inspection stage before I do...
+1

However, I've just had a look at my Spitfire's V5C and the body type is listed as "Sports".

I know it is wishful thinking on my part, but does this mean I don't need an inspection?

Based on WCA's recent experience I know have to keep the make as Triumph.
( Unlike the earlier Sammio builders. )

So the only two things that need to change on my V5C are the model & colour.

I've been meaning to chase up on my previous enquires for ages, so I will have another go at finding some answers shortly.

I'll keep you posted, cheers, Paul.
Old 9th May 2014, 09:36

Latest eMail from the DVLA

Dear Mr Skelton

Thank you for your email received on 8/5/14. Your email reference number is XXXXXX.

It may be helpful if I explain that, a radically altered vehicle is one which is radically altered from its original specification, but which is not a kit conversion.

DVLA assesses each vehicle on its own merits. This includes a examination of the documentary evidence and possibly a physical inspection of the vehicle.

Applications should be submitted to MASET, DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1ZZ.

Documents required:-
• Completed V55/5 application or
• V5C
• Completed Customers Built Up Inspection report V627/1 form
• Receipts / Invoices for all major parts used
• MOT (If applicable)
• ID Documents (Photocopies are acceptable)

You will receive a response within 2-4 weeks.

I trust this information is of assistance to you.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our Reply Form or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:

emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emaildvla/cegemail/dvla/en/reply_form_vehicles.html

When filling in the form the email reference number XXXXXXX will be required.

Regards

B James
DVLA Contact Centre
Old 9th May 2014, 16:26

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Aren't they getting "Radically altered vehicle" and "re-bodied classic" mixed up here? again... as i'm sure we've been round this 2 or 3 years ago?

What Ribble/Tribute/Mike do is provide parts to allow us to simply rebody classic cars in the coachbuilders traditional way and end up with a 'special'.
As we keep chassis, engine etc and all the mechanical components it's certainly not a 'kit conversion' it's just a re-panel/re-body!

All that said, i can remember that when i read up on all of this in detail a few years ago (as i'm a bit OCD like that!) the 're-bodied classic' route was never really documented on the website, but it was in their paper forms and procedures.
So i'd suggest that if you end up talking to a clone-on-the-phone who just tries to look this up on the web site and replies with the std "computer says no" auto-answer then try and help as much as you can with and describe that 150+ others have already gone through this with no problems!

Also I think that they can't be allowed to add in their own personal criteria and add in this term "kit conversion" as that's not in their rules and means nothing.

i.e.
is a MR2 r-errari 355 a Radically altered vehicle - yup.
but was it also made from a 'kit conversion' - also yup.

So adding that sneaky term in allows them to more easily interpret the guidance how they feel depending on who you talk to and what mood they're in!

<rant over>

Dave
Old 10th May 2014, 18:14

HouseMartin is on a distinguished road
Default Update May 2014

I have been chasing my V5 from DVLA and they have sent back that I provided an MOT for the G46.
Whilst I understand that it will need n MOT before it goes back on the road,
I was not aware it was required for changing the V5 details.

Anyway, if I get an MOT it seems I do not need an inspection.
Maybe it is because I mentioned that I has changed the external panels,
but could still unbolt the whole body from the chasis like the original scimitar body.

I did inquire as to who was doing the inspections after the 6 month transfer period and they informed me that it was staying with VOSA.

So I need to get wipers and washers for my 356 screen or remove it/fit a smaller screen for the MOT.
A bit requirement is a friendly MOT station, as my local just failed my daily driver for having indicators not orange enough!!

HM
Old 19th August 2014, 14:45

Marc F is on a distinguished road

Any developments since May guys? Would be interested to hear anyone's current experiences.

All teh best - thanks.
Old 19th August 2014, 14:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc F View Post
Any developments since May guys? Would be interested to hear anyone's current experiences.

All teh best - thanks.
Useful links to current practice/experience over on the Tribute page -

Can't seem to post direct links, but if you look at the threads entitled 'changing the V5' and 'IanA's Z300S barchetta build' there's some interesting developments there.

Last edited by Mister Towed; 19th August 2014 at 14:59..
Old 19th August 2014, 15:00

Default Registration links

Sorry Mr T - am I just thick - these seem to link to a home page showing news. Sorry if I am being daft though.

Thanks

Marc

Oops - see you have changed it now - I will go searching as you suggest :-)
Old 19th August 2014, 15:08

Ok, some interesting reading there - if I read these correctly, rebodying my Triumph with a Miglia bodyshell, whilst not changing anything else, can be accomplished by form V627/1 and a large dollop of hoping.

Looking at the form, am I right in thinking the only receipt I would need to attach would be a body shell invoice from Mike (as nothing else has changed)?