Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 30th December 2016, 16:20

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Also, the DVLA don't monitor websites for admission of incorrect number plates.

The police and government agencies have the technology in place right here and now to read every number plate of every vehicle on the M25 and confirm whether or not it is legal in size, location, font etc.

They don't yet use it and don't have plans to (as far as I am aware) as they currently cannot even agree to share the data between departments to catch the cars without tax or insurance which is slightly more important that a mis-spaced vanity plate.

Big Brother IS watching you, he just isn't yet clever enough to use what he sees for most of the time
Old 30th December 2016, 18:08

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
I have had silver and black plates fitted (without an age related plate) for years and never had a tug. I also run smaller than legal plates on all my motorcycles and again have never had a tug. I think so long as you are using the correct font and it is not miss spaced you won't get a pull. Even if the plate is slightly miss spaced, so long as it is easily read I don't think you will have a problem.
Simply common sense in other words .
Old 30th December 2016, 18:17

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

If I had a pound for every time I've heard 'Haven't you got anything more important to do, why aren't you out catching burglars?' I'd have three pounds.

I did have a colleague whose answer to that SFQ would always be No sir, I've checked my diary and today it says 'persecute the innocent motorist' but we're not allowed to say such controversial things to members of the public any more as it's a contravention of the code of conduct and can get you sacked.

Everything gets caught on camera one way or another these days, whether it be Council CCTV, police body cameras, private CCTV, dash cams, drones or mindless smombies filming themselves being run over by emergency vehicles on blue light runs because they're too focused on their bloody i-phones to notice the lights and sirens screaming towards them as they wander into the road, so it's just not worth losing your job just to put some pompous pr*ck in their place.

The 'big brother is watching you' thing is only true if you include all of the unregulated recording devices mentioned above, otherwise it's just another lame conspiracy theory (I don't think there are any conspiracies really, I reckon the Government just wants us to believe that there are conspiracies).

So, to cover a few points raised above:

Yes, VOSA, DVLA and plod all have number plate recognition cameras all over the place.

Yes, you could get a fixed penalty (but no points) for running non-regulation number plates.

Yes DVLA will withdraw the number from repeat offenders who are caught using 'show plates' (show plates my ar*e) twice.

No, the level of discretion that individual officers have regarding certain offences is often down to local or national policy rather than for the officer to decide. Some Chief Constables have a 'zero tolerance' approach to even minor infractions of the law and it seems that as the number of minor traffic tickets issued goes up the level of more serious crime goes down.

The truth is that criminals use vehicles to commit crime. Real, proper criminals. Drug gangs, serial killers, rapists, paedophiles, burglars, armed robbers, you name it, they use cars to commit crime.

Most plods develop a sixth sense known as 'copper's nose' where they get that tingly feeling on seeing someone, even if they're at the wheel of a car, and just know that they're up to no good. Stopping criminals in their vehicles and sniffing out more serious offences is an extremely effective way of disrupting their criminal activities.

In reality, most front-line or roads policing officers will look out for the little things and pull everybody for every blown bulb, broken door mirror, double-take at a marked car, and, yes, even an iffy number plate.*

We're not necessarily interested in prosecuting Mr ordinary Joe Public for a blown brake light, but we do like to have a nosey to see what else the users of the vehicle might be up to, and it's surprising how often people who don't maintain their cars also don't have insurance, do have a boot full of amphetamines and have had a skinful.

* back to iffy number plates - Ever heard of Peter Sutcliffe, The Yorkshire Ripper? A mass murderer who killed at least thirteen women in the seventies and eighties, Sutcliffe was eventually caught because a couple of nosey plods saw him sat in a car that had a number plate that was a couple of years too 'young' for the age of the car.

A check on PNC showed they were from a different make of car and he was nicked for giving false details and identified as the murderer shortly afterwards. If those plods hadn't acted on his iffy number plates, Sutcliffe would definitely have killed again, as his next victim was in the car with him and he had his favourite murder weapons - a blood stained hammer, a knife and a length of rope he'd already strangled two victims with hidden under the driver's seat and in his jacket.

Personally speaking, I have never ticketed a driver for having black and silver plates on a too young car, but I have given them for altered and stupidly small plates (the ones the size of a Rizzla paper you see on the front of many a modded Japanese import).

I can't, however, promise that you won't get pulled over and maybe even prosecuted for your non-compliant plates, and you're more likely to get pulled if ANPR can't read the plate. After all, for all we know you might be responsible for those unsolved Whitechapel murders.

Happy New Year everyone, drive safely now...
Old 30th December 2016, 18:57

Mr Towed - I heartily agree with what you have written. It shows the common sense approach I have seen with most Plod including my best mate who works for the filth* on the isle of Man.

I have been pulled twice in the Barchatta. Both times were before I re-registered it as a Barchetta so it showed as a Z3 on the PNC. the police pulled me over to find out what it was, spent time discussing it and one let me go while the other got a call and had to rush.

i know I have an on/off relationship with the law and rules but know you are trying to do the right thing.

BTW - If you do drink drive over the New Year you are a complete CUNT

*Joke. No offence meant. :-) ;-)
Old 31st December 2016, 14:00

hurnleft is on a distinguished road

Finished off the boot today. carpeted the rear extension panel and painted the hinges and boot stay.

I was going to carpet the panels of rough finish fibreglass on the boot lid but have decided against it for now.

Old 31st December 2016, 15:58

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Bob - Nice job.
Old 31st December 2016, 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Bob - Nice job.
Thanks Paul,
Next I'll find the piece of fluted alloy from the back of the shed that I plan to use to edge the centre console.
Old 31st December 2016, 18:56

I wondered about using the thick plastic paint they use on pickup truck beds as a coating for the fibre glass where finish wasn't essential but you wanted to hide the plastic. Not sure if it would work but interested to see what it looks like
Old 1st January 2017, 15:01

I've read through the comments regarding number plates and have just ordered a set of black/silver ones. Strictly for show use only……... Honestly.

For those who don't like the square plate on the front, sorry, but I've ordered another square one which will be fitted in the same place.

The plan is to make the black/silver plates use the same bolt holes as the reflective ones and fit one over the other on wing nuts for easy change over.

Last edited by hurnleft; 1st January 2017 at 15:58..
Old 1st January 2017, 15:47

I keep a black and yellow legal plate in the boot with some elastic to clip over the show plate when required
Old 1st January 2017, 16:47

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurnleft View Post
I've read through the comments regarding number plates and have just ordered a set of black/silver ones. Strictly for show use only……... Honestly.

For those who don't like the square plate on the front, sorry, but I've ordered another square one which will be fitted in the same place.

The plan is to make the black/silver plates use the same bolt holes as the reflective ones and fit one over the other on wing nuts for easy change over.
A Happy New Kit Car Year to all.
TBH I (for one) don't really notice whether coloured or black/silver, as I'm too busy looking at other more important bits of the car. Anyway..... A yellow plate adds a nice splash of colour to the rear of a car
Old 2nd January 2017, 11:50

Having another try at the centre console.
The main part does it's job but it is disjointed so I thought I'd do something along the sides.

As usual I'm using my haphazard make it up as I go along with what's lying about method.

Plan 'A' failed as the piece of ribbed alloy I found wasn't big enough

Plan 'B' nearly failed as I cut the next piece of alloy for the n/s wrong but fortunately it will fit the o/s.

Then I covered it with the same vinyl as I used on the doors.

Here's the n/s panel.

Will try to do a bit more later in the week.

Last edited by hurnleft; 2nd January 2017 at 15:37..
Old 4th January 2017, 10:02

Distracted by another little project today.

The heater knobs that I ordered a couple of months ago turned up from China yesterday. They were cheap so I took a chance as the were the right diameter.

The push on fitting at the back was unsuitable so I decided to try to use half a BMW knob and half a Chinese one. It's stuck together now so tomorrow I'll see if it actually works, if it does I'll cut the others.

Old 4th January 2017, 10:13

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

The interior and exterior details are really making the difference on this car ...looking good .

On the subject of plates , I was told that as long as the digits were correct size and correctly spaced , the size of the surround didn't matter ...some Jags , Bentleys , Rovers etc. have oversized surrounds to fit the boot shape ? Is this correct ?
Does it matter what size or shape the reflective bit is , as long as the digits are legally displayed ?
Old 4th January 2017, 11:23

Tigga is on a distinguished road

"I decided to try to use half a BMW knob and half a Chinese one"

Looks like hours of fun!

Do the Chinese ones only turn from right to left?
Old 4th January 2017, 11:26

It should all work but BMW knobs are getting harder to find. Audi knobs are everywhere though!
Old 4th January 2017, 18:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurnleft View Post
It should all work but BMW knobs are getting harder to find. Audi knobs are everywhere though!
Tell me about it, I had one tailgate me into work this morning.
Old 4th January 2017, 18:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post

On the subject of plates , I was told that as long as the digits were correct size and correctly spaced , the size of the surround didn't matter ...some Jags , Bentleys , Rovers etc. have oversized surrounds to fit the boot shape ? Is this correct ?
Does it matter what size or shape the reflective bit is , as long as the digits are legally displayed ?
Yes and no. The digits are the most critical factor and you're right that some cars have odd sized/shaped plates as standard, but the catch-all is that the plates have to have the manufacturer's details displayed on them at the bottom. Can't remember the specific dates but I think it's everything from 51 plate onwards.

As discussed earlier, you're unlikely to get prosecuted if you have period plates on a period looking car, but there's always the chance that you will.
Old 4th January 2017, 18:52

Oversized surrounds are okay, under sized are not. Cameras need a clear area around each character to read the plate. Not actually true anymore but it was when they drafted legislation*.

*also used as an excuse for misplaced letters one plates. The real motivation is that a lot of the misplaced letter cars are driven by twats and it is an easy reason to pull them over to see what they are doing wrong this time. Anyone fancy TR16UTE spaced a bit too close?

Last edited by WorldClassAccident; 4th January 2017 at 18:57..
Old 4th January 2017, 19:05

Wait a year and you could go for TR18UTE