Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 8th September 2006, 21:40
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Post New stuff on Marlin's website

Just noticed that there is some new stuff on the Marlin Website,
cute videos, new news, and the old purple demonstrtaor is up for sale.....

Peter
Available from eBay
Old 9th September 2006, 11:07
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

They switched out the E46 pic for an E36 too, but they've not touched the donor list from the look of it, which is a shame as they said they would.

Terry asked if I could send her some pictures of our build, not had time yet - they asked anyone else too?
Old 18th May 2008, 22:42
Enthusiast

There is a preview of their new website on the Marlin home page today.
Old 10th September 2009, 22:29
Enthusiast

After almost a year ago, the Marlin Website seems to be updated.

Looks like they are back trying generate new sales which is good to see.

Some interesting comments I spotted...

The Marlin Sportster is a car that appeals to the more discerning person with its 1930 style it’s very reminiscent of the original Alfa’s. However this car has been brought right up to date with its semi-monoque chassis and BMW engine options.

All kit cars have to pass a Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) Test to ensure it has been built to a standard high enough to be roadworthy. Terry added: “It’s up to us to provide the customer with a good manual and top quality IVA complaint parts which we know will pass the test”.

Everyone is having to cut back, some people are in a more fortunate position that others, but everyone needs to still add a bit of excitement to their lives occasionally. If you want to survive then those are the people to look after. While the credit crunch is going on were maintaining good contact with all our customers and ensuring they know we are still about.
Old 10th September 2009, 22:56
Enthusiast

Old 14th September 2009, 00:55
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
All kit cars have to pass a Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) Test to ensure it has been built to a standard high enough to be roadworthy. Terry added: “It’s up to us to provide the customer with a good manual and top quality IVA complaint parts which we know will pass the test”.
Is that a direct quote
Old 14th September 2009, 23:03
Enthusiast

I copy and pasted that straight off their website,
so yes it's for real

http://www.marlinsportscars.co.uk/news/174/

Another interesting quote is....
"Coupled with fine-tuned independent suspension, based on uprights and double wishbones developed by Marlin during the current '09 race season. This gives the 5EXi the quality of ride, handling and roadholding associated with upmarket exotic sports cars."
Old 16th September 2009, 13:34
Enthusiast

5EXi girl is on a distinguished road

Ok guys what’s the problem with the article? What are you trying to say here? What you may not realise is that when giving an interview to a newspaper often the journalist will miss out important and relevant sections to suit their needs.

Regarding the IVA.
All the Sportster kits that we are now producing are IVA compliant.
Also I believe that we have kept in touch with you all, when necessary, and at least we have survived the recession and are still here to look after you.

Regarding Patrick’s comment about Sportster donor parts list not being brought updated.
I have not finished the updates yet and intend to send out an email to bring this to everyone’s attention when it’s completed.

Apart from the galleries & price lists (which I can’t change or add to at the moment) is there anywhere else on the site that you feel would benefit from a refresh? Please email me direct to let me know.

I am also very happy to put up any links to videos, pics etc that are Sportster related.
Thanks
Terry

terry@marlincars.co.uk
Old 16th September 2009, 14:09
Enthusiast

My comments were from the last time you updated the site, not this time. Have a look at the posting date...: 9th September 2006, 11:07
Old 16th September 2009, 15:13
Enthusiast

Smile sorry patrick whoops

Sorry Patrick
You can tell I don't use forums apart from occasionally when I put a thread up on madabout so not used to checking things like dates!
However I stand by what I said about the rest and funny enough do intend to bring donor list up to date anyway (which is why I thought it was an up to date reply) and happy to get feed back either way :-)
Old 16th September 2009, 22:43
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5EXi girl View Post
Ok guys what’s the problem with the article? What are you trying to say here? What you may not realise is that when giving an interview to a newspaper often the journalist will miss out important and relevant sections to suit their needs.

Regarding the IVA.
All the Sportster kits that we are now producing are IVA compliant.
Also I believe that we have kept in touch with you all, when necessary, and at least we have survived the recession and are still here to look after you.

Regarding Patrick’s comment about Sportster donor parts list not being brought updated.
I have not finished the updates yet and intend to send out an email to bring this to everyone’s attention when it’s completed.

Apart from the galleries & price lists (which I can’t change or add to at the moment) is there anywhere else on the site that you feel would benefit from a refresh? Please email me direct to let me know.

I am also very happy to put up any links to videos, pics etc that are Sportster related.
Thanks
Terry

terry@marlincars.co.uk
Hi Terry,
two points really, we've been following some builders comming to terms with some of the new IVA requirements. If you don't normally follow the forum then you'll have missed all the discussion. Although a number of regulars have already passed the SVA were all interested in the engineering challenges of meeting the new regulations. Two examples spring to mind is how the Marlin Sportster bumpers and the rear wings are to be made IVA compliant. Also, have the e30 wing stays been re-designed as most of us have had problems with wings eaither falling off or becoming loose.

The other point was that we were having a chuckle at the mis-spelling of 'compliant'. Take another look....
Old 18th September 2009, 14:45
Enthusiast

Regarding the new IVA regs.

Bumpers: The original bumpers sold for the Sportster were SVA compliant and of course always passed the test. The new Sportster bumpers, that we are currently manufacturing, have been made to comply with the New IVA spec. So from what we can see you either follow the examples of the owners who have successfully got their old style bumpers through or buy a new IVA set.

Can you please be more specific about the rear wing problem.

Finally E30 wing stays. Nearly two years ago we offered to replace all broken stays and at the same time made a general change in the material specification that we were using for the wing stays. To date none of our two year old specification wing stays have broken. We did send out an email and post up a thread on madaboutkitcars (see below)

11th January 2008, 17:54
Calling all builders
We have experienced some breakages on our front mud guard stays made using a light tubular material. As a result of this we have decided to offer a free replacement service, (we do need the tubular mud guard stays returned to us in order that we can re-supply stays that our made to the correct fitting pattern).

We think there may still be a few of these old parts being used so this is just pre-cautionary note ............ check.

Best Wishes
Terry & Mark
Old 18th September 2009, 15:51
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Finally E30 wing stays. Nearly two years ago we offered to replace all broken stays and at the same time made a general change in the material specification that we were using for the wing stays. To date none of our two year old specification wing stays have broken. We did send out an email and post up a thread on madaboutkitcars (see below)

Best Wishes
Terry & Mark
Hi Terry

The problem with the E30 wing stays is that, just using 1 u-bolt (exhaust clamp) to hold them is insufficient. It doesn't matter how much you tighten them up it still allows a small amount of movement which means they come loose pretty quickly. You are lucky if you can go 50 miles. If you tighten them too much the bolts just snap - exhaust clamps aren't made from the best steel in the world.

The solution that most of us have adopted is to modify the wing stay mount so that you can use two u-bolts. This reduces how much they can move and stops them coming loose. Fixed this way mine have done over 500 miles now with no sign of them coming loose.

The other problem which is not so easy to solve is due to the two stays being almost diametrically opposite. This allows the wing stay to behave as a torsion bar and as a result produces a lot of movement in the fibreglass wings on uneven road surfaces. I have a good 15mm clearance between the stay and my wheel rims and it still touches on the odd large bump.

The best solution to this problem - but beyond my welding skills - would be to either position the wing stays so that they are at 90 deg to one another (Most 7 look alikes are like this) or add a third stay.

There is a thread on this forum with some pictures of the various solutions we have all come up with.

Kind regards

Robin
Old 18th September 2009, 21:22

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

I don't know what the issue is with the Sportster rear wings, so please forgive me if I'm talking nonsense, but the cabrio failed the first IVA test because the radius of the edges of 'mudguards' (rear wings?) was less than 2.5mm, strangely the running boards were OK as the radius of 'glass fibre' need only be 1.5mm. The 'muguards' are only 4mm thick so the 2.5mm radius is not acheivable.

However the tester took the requirement for a greater radius for the mudgauards as having precedence.

So to be IVA compliant the thickness of the mudguards needs to be 5mm.
I passed the radius test after fitting some self adheasive beading around from front to back.
Old 18th September 2009, 22:16
Enthusiast

Quote:
Regarding the new IVA regs.

Best Wishes
Terry & Mark
See section 37 of the IVA manual
Old 13th March 2010, 09:34
Enthusiast

Marlin have posted links to some video's on YouTube....

http://www.marlinsportscars.co.uk/news/180/

You might recognise the builders

(I'm a bit embarrassed now by my own, so need to replace it with something more up to date)
Old 2nd November 2012, 16:17
Enthusiast

I hadn't visited the Marlin website for sometime but noticed this morning there are a number of updates in their News section.

There's a full copy of Part 1 of the CKC article about Patrick and Richard's e30 Sportster build and a piece on Jason's car winning best in show at Stoneliegh.
But a bit of a strange quote from Jason ...
"Can't believe it, I had a crash in my beloved Marlin 5EXi...."
Old 2nd November 2012, 17:31
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

It wasn't 5exi when I sent the copy... Back in May. It's only just gone up on the site. I've been meaning to contact terry to point out the mistake.
Old 10th November 2012, 09:30
Enthusiast

Two more interesting news items.....

http://www.marlinsportscars.co.uk/news/205/

http://www.marlinsportscars.co.uk/news/206/

...peter