Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 18th May 2015, 17:06

jones is on a distinguished road

So unfortunately the only time I got that bank holiday weekend was for a cheeky Stoneleigh day visit and then my father was rushed into a hospice that night. He then passed after an agonising two and a half year battle that didn't give him a break even at the end, he passed on Friday 15th. Everyone was right and I wouldn't have changed my choice in spending all but 3 Weekends this year with him and my mother. This does mean my planned week off for un-inturrupted car building has been used up as the last two weeks was spent by his side at the hospice.

This did on a positive note allow for some planning and final vision to be solidified. Both interior and exterior plans are now laid out and just awaiting my time to complete. I have no excuses as all parts are in the garage just awaiting assembly. My build may have taken a detour and parked up for a bit but it will be back in gear soon. Famous last words... It will be on the road by end of summer!

Last edited by jones; 7th June 2015 at 22:49..
Old 18th May 2015, 18:50

a big scary monster is on a distinguished road

Sorry to read that,
At least this way you may very well have fond memories of your father each time you use the car, which will no doubt be better due to all the planning. I would take that any day over a completed car and feelings of guilt. Can't wait to see a picture of it finished when you take your mother for a run out, kind regards and respect Ed.
Old 19th May 2015, 07:39

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

I am sorry for you Jones, I lost my mum last year, so I understand the feeling, but as is always said, time is a good healer, and life goes on for the rest of us.
Old 22nd May 2015, 20:04

Thank you both Ed and Scottie very kind words.

Hopefully some updates will follow over the coming weeks
Old 24th May 2015, 09:19

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Jones - Sorry to hear about your dad.

It was good you could spend time with him and I'm sure your mum will still need a bit of support as she comes to terms with it too.

When the time comes, I'm sure the car will be a welcome distraction.

Take care, Paul.
Old 24th May 2015, 18:03

ned is on a distinguished road

Sorry for your loss , regards Gary
Old 4th June 2015, 23:33

Thank you Ned & Paul for your kind words.

I have now moved back to my own house last weekend and back to work after 4 weeks of temporary relocation back my homeland of Norfolk.

This weekend I am having to replace my shocks on Jag XF, doing it myself as I have fallen out with my local dealerships whom kept blaming my front bushes and then worn out tyres (3mm left them) for my poor handling over the last few months despite me protesting that its definitely in my opinion shocks were to blame. I thought I am merely a novice and shall bow to what should be their almighty knowledge working with these cars day in day out so first I agreed to having the bushes replaced... no that wasn't it but a few hundred quid lighter. They then assured it me it could only be the tyres now, so again depsite my gut telling me otherwise i duly spent the best part of a grand on 4 new tyres and tracking.... no that wasn't it either and to make things worse the handling was in my opinion deteriorating!

with the down time I had in Norfolk I was able to take full use of my old tools stored at my parents and get the car up on jacks, having checked everything that moved and even somethings that don't I proved to myself and obviously the very bouncy and soft offside front corner kind of helped confirm it was in fact the shock that had gone.

Oh well rant over but it will be another weekend away from what I wanted to do this weekend... But I still might get a chance on at least marking out the rear C pillar vents similar to Neds.

Last edited by jones; 4th June 2015 at 23:38..
Old 6th June 2015, 23:02

So a good day was had, got up nice and early, OK not quite as early as some (Scottie) but outside by 9:30 is good enough.

New shocks on the Jag, tick job done oh and how nice it is to be right. I even took it to Jag on my road test to make my point.

Back home and I thought to myself lawn and garden or car, hmmmm lawn or car....? Winner is Car

With my neighbours away I duly took them up on their offer for us to use their drive, so moved both our cars over. Whooped off the tarp and their she was, battery flat but not unsurprisingly so after her neglect. Next up was job number 1 remove roll cage ready for prep and paint (thinking just plain black to be honest).

Onto job no.2 removal of the rear lights and reflectors, I need to neaten up two holes as well before refitting them.

Job no.3, tidy up boot extender panel - this now sits square ready for bonding.

This left me with this mess on my driveway:

Well a spot of lunch later and on to the next job, no.4. Making a template/mock up of the side vents...

Transfered that onto the car:

Then voila some grinding later and we have holes... I mean vents:

Job no.5, actually turning them into vents, two done but my belly was crying out for dinner and I wanted to watch the F1 qualifying so tools away and car put roughly back together, the tarp on. In my hurry I didn't take any pictures of my first bit of fibre glassing.

Thats all...

...will tomorrow's weather be as good?

Last edited by jones; 7th June 2015 at 09:04..
Old 7th June 2015, 09:02

You can't break to watch qualifying when there is a car to build man? It was a snooze fest anyway. Get yourself a TiVo TV box mine records any form of racing it sees without even asking it just knows that's all I watch. Glad your build is back on the go. Ed
Old 7th June 2015, 10:54

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

There won't be much progress next week with LeMans 24hr on TV. Coverage on Quest this year as well as live on internet !

Not going this time , waiting for the classic next year !
Old 7th June 2015, 22:14

WOW, two days straight on the car and I feel it will ramp up from here now.

The plus side is all the planning and contemplating has played off and it's coming together.

Today was continue as per yesterday, unfortunately the two sides are not as symmetrical as one might hope for so adjustments had to be made.

So in case anyone is wandering what the messy stuff is in the pictures I used a glue gun to hold the pieces together from the font so that I could glass them in from the rear. It's a bit like spot welding it together and then its easy to check and make any adjustments before glassing them in. the interior shot is the two vents I had done yesterday that I had started to rough up for more glassing today.

I also started some sanding today on the nearside, mainly the flash lines. I then couldn't resist as I went through the gel coat in places to give it a touch of etch primer... that wasn't enough I wanted to check the provisional colour choice too.

Well I have to say I am binning that colour its just not right for the car, back to the drawing board and the next one will be much much darker I think.

Again I was conscious that the F1 was on at 7pm and I certainly need to freshen up and even though I was spoiled for the second day running by my wife - providing drinks and even an Italian platter of meats and breads for lunch both, I was certainly in need of dinner too. However, I was distracted upon putting the tools away and as I had the etch out I thought the roll cage was looking rather bare so put a coat on that then turned into a couple of coats of satin black. It's not bad but will need a gentle sand in a few places and another coat but quite please with the look. (Apologies no pictures due to my haste)

There were also some other jobs or research jobs completed including mock up of headling panels, plus the bonnet hinges...

Last edited by jones; 23rd September 2015 at 14:56..
Old 7th June 2015, 22:37

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about your Father (mine has been gone for 15 years now and I still wish he could see every car that drives out of my workshop). Keep up the progress and make him proud.
Old 8th June 2015, 09:28

ned is on a distinguished road

Hi your cracking on now, the vents are looking good
Old 8th June 2015, 13:37

I bought some headlining foam last week to use for something else but I liked the look of it it was from acre-outlet on eBay they also have a good spray gkue and lots of nice leather cloth I go into there shop its not far from me but they post out most stuff, ring them and they send samples for £1. Ed.
Old 8th June 2015, 17:18

Paul L is on a distinguished road

jones - Looks like you are making good progress.

And it is always nice when you are able to work in the sunshine.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 13th June 2015, 12:05

Thanks Chris, that is exactly my motivation and I know what you mean.

Ned yours served as perfect motivation, I might have gone too large with the opening but looks like it makes reversing and overtaking a bit safer.

Ed thanks for recommendation, I have got free samples from a store through ebay called quicksellshop but trade as 'I Want Fabric'. My first samples were delayed by a bank holiday and I called to chase and had great service the next day I had my samples and funnily the first batch arrived on the same day.

Paul you're not wrong there and guess what... It's raining again today and forecast for the whole weekend

So my Jag is with my Indy for 4 wheel alignment after fitting my shocks. I wonder if Chris has a spare kit laying around as this is my courtesy car for the weekend

In all seriousness though I would be interested in hearing from the people that have a completed 250SWB and see if the driving experience is more engaging? Disappointed as was looking at doing one after the mx250

So plans today will be take some rubbish to the tip to free up more garage space I want to do some work on the roll cage as I noticed a few areas I'm not happy with after painting. That sadly might be it for the day or will see if I can get the front into the garage and finish mocking up the new hinges I have come up with for the bonnet.
Old 14th June 2015, 23:59

So the weather played it's part and Saturday i managed to only get a few hours in and today was no better other than I had to catch up on some work this morning and got out this afternoon.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures on Saturday but I did keep honest to my intentions, the lovely Mrs Jones allowed me very graciously to use her pride and joy Mini to take some rubbish to the tip. I then decided that the constant drizzle will not stop me! I got the front of the car under the protection of the open garage door and as far in as I could get it and still move around. I set to work on the front N/S front wing area, for me the wing cure flattened out a little on top so started by removing the flash lines and building up some filler on top to help raise its curves a little. In Between drying times I continued to plug away at the hinge idea, it will work and I will not be beaten by this.

I had lingering clouds all day today so I was not confident in pulling the tarp off and removing the back end to sort out the headlining. So I nudged the car forwards under the garage door and set to work again. Today my focus was on a couple of small things building out the front a little as it was a bit flat where the new vents and slots for the fog lights were cut in. the second was for me so small and 99% of people will never know but it could not go unresolved. the perspex headlight cover recess was not even all the way round and on the O/S at the top it was non existent. So that is what i got stuck into for the rest of the afternoon it's now 1.2cm all all around with one more final fill an sand for final shape etc. not much to show for the effort but I know that it means one more small job done and something achieved to nudge the car closer to the finish line.

obviously the obligatory pictures, I couldn't find a great pic of the before so this goes back to when i first got the Kit- quite liking the two tone primer effect for the headlights though...

p.s. the darker primer is the areas that have been sanded to primary stage rough shape that I am happy with before proper body prep takes place.

Last edited by jones; 15th June 2015 at 00:03..
Old 15th June 2015, 07:31

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

Hey Jones, in your pictures, it looks as though the drivers headlight is pointing way out to the right, I had this problem with my headlight.
It was so far out, that I had to slice the mounting out and re-positoin it, as the headlight adjustment would not have been enough to compensate.

Better to do that now if need be than after the paint job!
Old 5th July 2015, 18:45

2manytoys is on a distinguished road

Hi Jones, seeing yours has inspired me to cut out my rear vents, how are you going to finish the insides, fit perspex and use it as semi window (give some rear quarter vision). If so do you we need drain holes in case water does get in ? Or box them in solid ?
Old 8th July 2015, 16:14

Scottie - Apologies I could have sworn I had responded to your post, you had me worried! however the camera and to be honest they were only loosely fitted for give a idea of final dimensions.

2manytoys - At the moment they are solid and will be filled with perspex, I had researched the Mustang solution but I wanted it for visibility issues as well as in my opinion improving the profile look. I am creating a headlining that has a negative version of the vents so it finishes it off well inside. With regards to drainage I have an idea but need to look into it more, the car project is sadly back on the back burner whilst I sort out a few other things at the moment.