Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 23rd August 2007, 10:17
Kit Car Dreamer

Thrustyjust is on a distinguished road
Default Honda/Rover questions

Morning all.I am getting the donor Rover hopefully on the drive for this weekends strip down.
1/I am told the 416 is a hydraulic clutch pedal.Is this beneficial,as although the limit info I have,needs a cable pedal,although the Honda guys are using hrdraulic clutches.Where do I go with this?
2/ I'm scared about the ecu's,wiring,immobiliser etc.Which bits of the loom do I need from the cars etc?
3/ What parts do I actually need from a Type R? I obviously need to know,so as to sort out with a breaker.Brakes and hubs etc.
4/A 'proper' list of parts from the Rover,as I just want to sweep through the car and get rid off asap,so to then start the process of overhuling all bits.
5/ Wheel sizes etc.I guess the Rover is 4 bolt hubs and the Honda 5 bolt? I may need to get wheels and tyres sooner than I thought,so need offsets etc.
Hopefully I will be ordering a kit in the next month or two,so just want to get all bits in the garage,as its getting dark in the evenings.
cheers,Justin
Available from eBay
Old 23rd August 2007, 16:41
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

Honda:
Engine + ancillaries, less AC compressor
Gearbox, inc driveshafts (inner tripod joints especially)
ECU
3 Plugs into ECU, and the long intermediate plug just downstream of the ECU would be useful
You DON’T need the lambda sensors – they are standard zirconia items – I’m using universal 4 wire sensors from GSF.
Front engine mount
Airbox if you fancy the oem airbox in the car – mine was smashed so I’ve got a cone filter.
Clocks if you like ‘em – temp gauge and charge light are controlled by the ecu.
Rear callipers fit and work with 260mm Rover ZR160 rear discs – same callipers I believe.
Theoretically you could also get the immobiliser receiver, and the key, then you won't need either the Marlin "black box", or the Hondata. However, although I tried this, I didn't succeed as the coding had been lost from my key.

Gearknob – well I kept mine.

I think that’s all. It’s certainly all I can remember at the moment.

The Honda is five stud.
Old 23rd August 2007, 17:10
Enthusiast

Jon@JNRacing.co.uk is on a distinguished road

Justin, if your looking to use the Honda hubs soyou can run 5 stud 16" wheels or even 17" then I have done it, and I think im still the only one. If you want to use the Honda hubs front and rear then pm me and Ill tell you want you need to do and costs as it is our design NOT Marlin's.

Cheers Jon

p.s im on msn 24/7 if you want to message me on there.
Old 23rd August 2007, 19:12
Kit Car Dreamer

Thrustyjust is on a distinguished road

thanks for the replies.I have spoken to another builder today at length.I am really worried about
a/ costs spiralling out of control
b/ general chat from various people about the lack of factory back up
c/lack of design conception of newer non-K power plants
d/ chassis deflection of using a doored chassis,
e/ wheels not fitting inside the arches of the car etc
f/ gelcoat finish,although the factory have told me its now better

To name but a few issues.I guess coming from a Westfield,with quality control to a much smaller team to assist me to construct the car,may be more frustrating.Most of you seem to have had a frustrating time building the R cars.There isn't much in the way of a non- seven style car that looks as nice as a Marlin EXi,that I know of.Just starting to have a few doubts about it.The website is terrible for information.I'm already getting bored of listening to answerphones.I decided today about 'not' buying the donor,as it may not be the route I'm taking.I will be building a car,but I think I will have another search.I wil be back.
Old 23rd August 2007, 19:16
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

1) The Rover turbo & Honda Type R have heavy clutches when using cable. Go for hyraulic.

2) Wiring from Rover I'm not sure. Possibly loom and wire for fuel tank, cig lighter, switches, horns and heater. The rest is from the type R and MArlin loom.

3) John has covered most of this. Basically drivetrain dials/loom and engine electrics.

4) Rover hubs, brakes and handbrake cables.

5) Will comment more later as mine are on order. I used a set of Rover turbo alloy wheels (from Donor). These are 6X15 et 45. But these are the only wheels with this fitment.

I know there are differences with the 400 series. John (Marlinturbo) had a 4220 turbo. So might be worth dropping him a PM to find out what bits.

Here is John's site.

http://www.marlinturbo.dsl.pipex.com/index.htm
Old 23rd August 2007, 19:19
Enthusiast

Jon@JNRacing.co.uk is on a distinguished road

one comment that i would like to state here is that Marlin (i believe) in the 0rocess of moving, not sure if this the case but thats why calls may not be answered. )lus Marlin are one of the smallest kit car manufactuers, as in a team of 4, where as westfield well are westfield, no need to say more.
Old 23rd August 2007, 20:11
Enthusiast

craig is on a distinguished road

Hi Justin, Most of it has been covered so not much to say but here's my two penny worth!

If you get the shafts then all well and good but I would not worry about this too much!! You need to replace them anyway and andrew page supplied by drivelink will sell you tripods for next to nowt....I had to go down this route with one of mine,they only charged me £6 for not having an exchange unit.

If you are missing any of the honda connectors for the ecu you can buys these so again dont let this put you off.

Cheers
Craig
Old 23rd August 2007, 22:10
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

Justin,

Reflecting back on my experiences so far, I'd say that overall it's been extremely enjoyable. I'm not sure frustrating is the word I'd use to summarise my experiences - stimulating, challenging, and rewarding, are the words that immediately spring to mind, but that's not to say there haven't been frustrating moments.

I may sound like a gluten for punishment, but the reason I didn't go with a Caterfield (asides from the fact they're too common), is that I fancied a bit of a challenge. The caterfield builds, in my opinion, are too clinical. Being a frustrated engineer, who is 90% office based, I wanted something to get my teeth into.

Yes, it has cost me more than I first expected, but I've never experienced a car project which hasn't. However I am fortunate that I don't have to run anything past a spouse, so can within reason, do whatever I want.

Unless you're in a mad rush to make a decision, if I were you I'd hold fire for a bit, and come along to the Marlin track day on the 22nd September at Llandow. Talking in person with people, and getting a ride (maybe?) in one or more cars, will help your decision enormously.

Regards,
John.