Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 20th August 2007, 21:14
Kit Car Dreamer

sconcia is on a distinguished road
Question Crikey!! Confused already!!

Didn't think I'd get stuck this early on, but the tunnel floor is doing my head in, and has left me asking a couple of questions!!

From Marlin's manual I'm happy that the tunnel floor sections overlap the large floor panels on the two central rails. And I can see from the pics that Marlin have put rivnuts into the centre rails (and presumably will then bolt through the tunnel floor and floor panels). But if I'm permanently fixing my floor panels anyway, is there any problem clamping the rivnut around the centre rail AND the floor panel? Then I'd just bolt the tunnel floor into the rivnut.

And what's probably a stupid question...there are two tunnel floor sections. Together these are longer than the floor? Am I missing something? Am I meant to cut one of these? Surely they can't overlap?

I hope it isn't all as confusing as this. Maybe I just need to get my confidence up.
Available from eBay
Old 20th August 2007, 21:20
Enthusiast

Ric H is on a distinguished road

Marlin's thinking is that you fit the floor with rivnuts then take it all off again as it's easier to work inside the chassis with no floor in the early stages. It's not a bad plan. This will be tricky if you fit the rivnuts right through the floor in to the rails.
And yes - you have to cut down one of the panels!
Richard
Old 20th August 2007, 21:30
Kit Car Dreamer

sconcia is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I didn't explain my thinking about the floor panels.

I've read the relevant threads on here and have decided to go with the permanent fixing of the floor panels early on (using rivets and adhesive). So, given my floor panels will be stuck down anyway, I'm really just wondering if there's any point me not fixing the rivnut through both chassis and panels.

And the cutting seems obvious now you've confirmed it I'm just scared off doing anything irreversible at the moment. I"m sure it will pass!!
Old 20th August 2007, 21:40
Enthusiast

Jon@JNRacing.co.uk is on a distinguished road

why do marlin have so many covers an pieces of floor pan, i only had 3 shhets, front middle and rear that covers the whole underside of the car. why cant they just do this with every car, be so much easyer.
Old 21st August 2007, 07:47
Enthusiast

MikeR is on a distinguished road

Hi Sconcia,
I permanently fixed my floor panels as you are thinking and then fixed the two tunnel panels with rivnuts through the floor panels and into chassis. I would suggest that you invest in some Cleko's and tool (Car Builders) a decent steel straight edge and Cobalt drills (last forever). I also used a joggler to put a lip on the tunnel panels so that they fitted cleanly where they overlap each other.

Regards
MikeR