Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 29th January 2008, 15:43
Enthusiast

5EXi girl is on a distinguished road
Default re chassis number length

Just posted this up on the Sportster forum thought you also might find it inetresting :-)

Please be aware that the DVLA, in their wisdom, have changed the rules at least 3 times in the last few years. This is why there are now too many chassis numbers. Just don't fill in the last few when applying for the SVA and if necessary knock them off the end on the plate. We have to paint over the plate or they accuse you/us of putting the plate on afterwards and this is then looked upon as fraud!! Any problems with the chassis numbers etc again please email me at Marlin Cars
Cheers
Terry
Available from eBay
Old 29th January 2008, 20:47
Enthusiast

bigrich is on a distinguished road
Wink

I had the same issue when registering mine. Last 2 digits on the VIN were not required (they represent year of manufacture only, anyway...).

Caution:- Both the VOSA man & the DVLA man told me not to alter the chassis VIN plate in any way - this only makes the whole car look like like its been tampered with and sets you up for a long battle with them to get registered!...not to mention having to explain this to every MOT tester and prospective future buyer.

The VOSA man aint bothered. It's only the DVLA man at the registration inspection that's interested. My experience says leave well alone and use only the first 17 (I think) digits.

Rich
Old 29th January 2008, 20:56
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

VOSA man told me to remove the last 2 digits, and I decided to ignore that, suggesting to him that the DVLA might get a bit funny about the obvious tampering. He then rethought the situation and concluded it was best to leave well alone.
Old 30th January 2008, 00:39
Enthusiast

Ric H is on a distinguished road

Same experience: VOSA and DVLA for me were happy with leaving as is and treating the last 2 digits as a chassis year only. Both also advised against altering the number at all.