Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Miglia Builds and discussion

Miglia Builds and discussion Miglia bodied builds

Old 25th February 2013, 09:22

tlrtone is on a distinguished road
Default tlrtone's Miglia Speedster build...

I thought I would start a new thread, as I am amassing lots of pictures of the donor herald and strip down and haven't got round to building a website like my last one (www.mysammiospyder.co.uk)

This is the sorry donor, bought from ebay for £205 as a part finished restoration!

The nice thing about it (if there is one..) is that the chassis underwent a rebuild so everything was new - but that was about 6 years ago, and it was stood since then...

It will need a full strip and rebuild again, but has some nice touches like stainless steel brake hoses and a really good chassis that won't need any welding!!

Available from eBay
Old 25th February 2013, 09:30

garyh is on a distinguished road

Same colour?
Old 25th February 2013, 09:31

the 1300 engine was not in a great condition though and so I have bought an even more sorry 1500 MG Midget engine....

When I started stripping it down, and got rid of all the corroded ancilliaries, the actual block and head were in great condition - I reckon it had a rebuild, with new bearings and piston rings etc only a few thousand miles before it was taken out and stored for 3-4 years...

The mains are 0.010 u/s so it had the crank reground and the big ends are std size. No wear on the crank or bearings so I reckon a spruce up , rebuild and some new bits (distributor, alternator, water pump etc) it should be lovely in the miglia speester.

Temp home for the rebuild pictures is here....
Old 25th February 2013, 09:34

Gary,

this one will be a different colour, just haven't decided yet though...

We be adding in servo brakes on this one (with a BMW E30 pedal assembly) and some other mods here and there.

Aiming for end of May on the road!

Last edited by tlrtone; 9th April 2013 at 14:12..
Old 25th February 2013, 09:36

looking forward to following this build, good luck.
Old 25th February 2013, 12:36

davecymru is on a distinguished road

When you say, part restored.
Which part?
Old 25th February 2013, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecymru View Post
When you say, part restored.
Which part?
err, the whole chassis - new everything - but then they parked it up under a tarpaulin for 6 years or so! The rear brake drums and front calipers still had the paper protection and labels on them!

Pity, as it will need a complete stripdown again but at least all the bolts should come off fine! Will repalce the rubber bushes with silicone ones as well while I am at it.

I am going to inspire you to build another "proper" kit car Dave! (only j/k Lambo kit looks cool btw)
Old 25th February 2013, 15:09

I do miss the Little Red Car, although i can't wait to drive the Big Red Car!

If i only had the space and money I'd be not far behind you in talking to Mike!
Old 25th February 2013, 18:09

mikmiglia is on a distinguished road

Looks like id better get you a body , My kit comes with its own fibreglass bulkhead , so sells your s on . you dont mess around . Be interesting to see someone build one of my kits . Good on you Tony .

Last edited by mikmiglia; 25th February 2013 at 18:11..
Old 25th February 2013, 18:18

Paul L is on a distinguished road

TriTone - Good luck Tony, I'm looking forward to following your build.
Old 26th February 2013, 14:37

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Donor looks like it was great value despite the years spent under a tarp.

Looking forward to seeing your build progress. Are you going to have lowered floors in this one?
Old 26th February 2013, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Donor looks like it was great value despite the years spent under a tarp.

Looking forward to seeing your build progress. Are you going to have lowered floors in this one?
yes, the chassis was a good buy, and the bits of body I don't need were sold for the price of it, so it has cost me nothing so far!

And yes, I will be putting in lowered floors this time, although I am sticking with the same seats (landrover two-part) as they were extremely comfortable and lent themselves very well to hinging forward.
(( The storage behind the seats was a godsend for making the sammio more practical - popping down the shops, storing jackets, picnics etc- and so this one will have a similar mod. ))

I am hoping for good weather this weekend so I can get the chassis stripped for painting next week - another build on the driveway - the wife is soooooo looking forward to arrival of the circus tent again in a few months!

Mike's Miglia kit has a built in bulkhead this time, no more bonding problems around that this time, so I am hoping for a fairly quick build of around 3-4 months - weather and time permitting. Just in time for the scorching summer we are going to have.

Mike has also muted torwards a hard-top option, so I have put my name down as first on the list for one of those!

I won't be adding a stereo and speakers this time - never had it on as it was too noisy anyway, and took away from the enjoyment of listening to the engine.

Summing up my thoughts so far...
  • Swing spring conversion with 1" spacer block
  • 15" wire wheels (again - silver or black!)
  • rebuilt 1500cc Midget engine, with standard 13/60 recon gearbox and diff
  • Landrover seats (hinged backs to access storage behind the seats)
  • BMW E30 pedal assembly complete with servo and built in clutch m/c
  • 'teardrop' miglia bonnet - not the V8 upside down wheelbarrow
  • colour? not sure - quite fancy the Lancia D24 burgundy

The aim is to get it all on the road for this year with the standard engine and drivetrain - they are quick enough - and quite scary at high speeds anyway - not the road holding but the thought of being very exposed in a crash - quite sobering! then next year I want to do one with a V6 or V8 and associated drivetrain and improved chassis.

but as always, plans can change.......
Old 26th February 2013, 21:05

I won't try and keep up with this build... maybe the V6/V8 that should hopefully take a bit longer!
Old 2nd March 2013, 18:35

Went down to see Mike at Miglia today and saw the first kit roll off the production line.....

I didn't fully appreciate the amount of work that has gone into this. The dashboard is actually part of the body ...

The door shuts are finished nicely, and the doors are pretty weighty items that should close with a nice thud! Even the bolt holes for early mini door hinges are moulded in so you can't drill then wrong! Nice attention to detail.

Another little "feature" is that the frame bolts to the chassis, and then the body is mounted, like the Sammio/Ribble kits, but this time, the body has mounting points so you can't get it misaligned.. nice! No more faffing with the bonnet gaps and door gaps this time!

Also, I didn't appreciate that the front end is significantly longer than the Sammio I built, meaning that the front bumper corners on the chassis won't need to 'fall off', and there is lots of room to put a choice of radiator and mountings in there.

And because the body is one piece, the frame comes right to the front and adds additional support. No more bonnet flexing or adding in additional strengthening. I am hoping for a quick build so all this helps a lot, having gone through the long-winded sammio route first time.

Oh, and you get a front bulkhead as well and this is set back from where the original is so you get around 8-10" extra room at the front in the engine bay - ideal for my BMW servo I have planned. The flat bits at the font cover the front outriggers, and is where I will be mounting the battery so it is accessible, but out of the way, again no more worrying about a lowered battery tray!

So really impressed with the set up - even the jig for making the frames is a work of art!

And here's the next kit underway...(hopefully mine )

So all in all I can't wait to get mine started now!

Last edited by tlrtone; 4th March 2013 at 16:15.. Reason: repaired broken links to pictures. oops.
Old 2nd March 2013, 18:53

There are some lovely touches in there, looks like Mike really learned from some of the interesting "quirks" of the Sammio!
Old 2nd March 2013, 18:56

Nice to see you today, im glad you like the kit. Ive tried to make it , so the customer enjoys building their Miglia kit. I forgot to mention the kit also comes with the new longer bolts , so you will be able to fit the frame and body. This should only take an hour to fit too .

Last edited by mikmiglia; 2nd March 2013 at 19:05..
Old 2nd March 2013, 19:52

Excellent looking kit, very comprehensive. Also like Tirts enthusiasm... I'll get back to my long winded Sammio kit that you made for me. Keep up the great work.
Old 2nd March 2013, 19:54

Thank you Gary, it can only get better from now , how are you getting on with your car mate ?
Old 2nd March 2013, 19:58

Painting house... Going very well. Got all my classic parts ready and will make the rest. If I keep painting, I am promised another couple grand, but that's it.
Old 2nd March 2013, 20:00

You sound like your under the thumb like me still do you think your have it built for the summer ?