Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 13th September 2012, 16:20

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Or you could buy a pair of these for £100 and spray them with aluminium paint...

Old 13th September 2012, 20:01

GazDavies is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Or you could buy a pair of these for £100 and spray them with aluminium paint...
The problem with aluminium paint is that it looks a lot like......er, paint.

The seats look as good as I had hoped Andy, very pleased with them.
Old 13th September 2012, 20:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazDavies View Post
The problem with aluminium paint is that it looks a lot like......er, paint.

The seats look as good as I had hoped Andy, very pleased with them.
Yep, point taken.

So, are you going to have them fully trimmed in leather?
Old 13th September 2012, 20:18

No not for me. Im thinking of just a small padded area for under my arse, maybe red to match the car with diamond cross stitching. Possibly another one for my lower back but will see how it turns out.
Old 13th September 2012, 20:47

Erm, that was supposed to be an ironic question. Like, you've spent three hundred odd quid on some aluminium bomber seats and you're going to fully encase them in leather. As if...

They do look great though. I'm jealous as. If my budget stretched that far I'd go for custom ally seats myself, but the elastic in my budget reached its point of no return long ago.
Old 13th September 2012, 21:02

Quote:
Erm, that was supposed to be an ironic question. Like, you've spent three hundred odd quid on some aluminium bomber seats and you're going to fully encase them in leather. As if...
Sorry, its been a long day. Driving almost 1000 miles in the last 2 days to collect and deliver a G46 kit has left my brain like mush.....even more so than usual!
Old 13th September 2012, 21:13

No problem Gaz. A G46 you say? What's a G46? Never seen one of those, well, not a finished one anyway...
Old 13th September 2012, 21:24

Quote:
No problem Gaz. A G46 you say? What's a G46? Never seen one of those, well, not a finished one anyway...
You are right Mr T, its taken far too long to get one finished, much like the car in your garage

In all seriousness, this will change very soon. Since I took over the G46 project there are 3 more kits now being built and my car is progressing very nicely thanks to Gary and Mike. Fingers crossed, it will be ready for Exeter kit car show but if not it will be painted and looking good even if its not on the road.
Old 13th September 2012, 22:04

OOPS. Sorry Gaz, I forgot you'd taken the G46 project on. I didn't mean to insult your pride'n'joy, far from it. I'd love to see one finished and painted, I guess they just take more work than the simple Spyder. Even so, I can't believe it's been so long and nobody's got one road ready - Gary J had the original G46 body almost finished in his workshop when I collected my kit way back in July '11. Perhaps he should have donated the first body out of the mould to that French chappy, what was his name now? Patoune, that's right, who got a Spyder from pile of parts to road going racer in a week...

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...?t=2717&page=4
Old 13th September 2012, 22:18

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

WCA G46 development keeps getting delayed by family stuff and other commitments. Nothing this weekend or next because of weddings. Have sold the TVR and need to shift the Merc CL (bargain price if anyone wants it) to fund the Maserati. That will leave me with just the Maser as daily driver, pick up as general work horse and the G46 as project.

Hopefully combining this with the dark evenings will allow me to progress more quickly.
Old 13th September 2012, 22:25

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road
Default G46 progress

Charlie & I have started working on ours again, more bodywork alterations, I am not sure if the Sammio community is ready to see what we have done yet!
Old 13th September 2012, 22:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charman.tech View Post
Charlie & I have started working on ours again, more bodywork alterations, I am not sure if the Sammio community is ready to see what we have done yet!
Hey, anything goes on the Sammio site. So long as your driving position doesn't leave you looking like Il Papa in the back of his Popemobile.

Would love to see some progress pic's of whatever you're doing...
Old 14th September 2012, 08:13

Quote:
OOPS. Sorry Gaz, I forgot you'd taken the G46 project on. I didn't mean to insult your pride'n'joy, far from it. I'd love to see one finished and painted, I guess they just take more work than the simple Spyder. Even so, I can't believe it's been so long and nobody's got one road ready - Gary J had the original G46 body almost finished in his workshop when I collected my kit way back in July '11. Perhaps he should have donated the first body out of the mould to that French chappy, what was his name now? Patoune, that's right, who got a Spyder from pile of parts to road going racer in a week...

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...?t=2717&page=4
No problem T, no insult taken or offered, I was just pulling your leg. Car number one was Patounes car before I did a swap deal with my Spyder. Its now my car and after some modifications is looking even better than it did before. Very happy with the way it is shaping up!

Charman.Tech, Would love to see how you are progressing. Modifications on a G46 is very much welcomed, the more extreme the better. Im looking forward to seeing progress on all of the builds, so far there are 6 under construction with no two being produced being alike with Squre arches, round arches, one hump, two humps, no humps, cockpit divider, full screen, single screen and real windscreens and then there is the lovely looking V8 version too!
Old 18th September 2012, 07:40

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Hi Andy,

As I try to follow your lead on my own build, can I ask another round of questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyP57 View Post
... body fitted ... Minor cutting away at the bulkhead ...
What areas did you need to cut and by how much?

Did you use any of the donor Spitfire rubber / metal washers under the framework?

Also, in how many places (& where) is the rear frame attached?
( In addition to the two obvious mounting points at the back that is )

I wasn't sure if the metal plate for the pedals was meant to be touching the bulk head.

There appears to be a gap in your photo, are you simply bolting the master cylinders straight through?

Cheers, Paul.
Old 12th October 2012, 22:15

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Andy - Sorry, I know you haven't had a chance to answer my last batch of questions...
But can I be cheeky and add a few more while I try to work out what I should be doing?

I plan to start "encouraging" my frame to line up with the last two chassis mounting points soon.
Can I just check that the two frames should line up 'edge to edge' when they are joined together?
This is the passenger side & again I assume the front frame edge is on the inside.

Now you have gone through your re-body inspection, I guess bits have "fallen off" the front chassis.
Do you now know if the bonnet will clear everything in the engine bay without the need to move things?
I'd like to upgrade my radiator to the full width version that you appear to have fitted to your donor.
But the advantages of this 'straight swap' part would be lost of the mounting points need to change.

Also, if you have fitted the bonnet, I'd also like to see how the bonnet hinges work.
Was it simply a matter of using the same sort of bracket that Gary fitted to his Cordite?

And finally (you'll be glad to hear) can I just pick up on this part of your build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyP57 View Post
... I've not put any lowering blocks in mine (And may not do yet) as I want to experiment with wheel sizes to fill the arch, leaving the geometry of the swing spring as it was designed...
I am planning to use 13" wheels with 175/70 size tyres (as they came brand new with my donor).
I've also got a 1" lowering block & matching studs from Rimmer Bros based on previous advice.
Is it worth waiting to see how you get on without a lowering block, or just get on with fitting my one?
I'll have a better idea of how my body & wheels will look when I've sorted out fitting my frame.

Thanks again, Paul.