Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tribute Automotive Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Ericholm 250 SWB Build thread (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5535)

Lucky@LeMans 21st March 2016 23:05

The method I have seen for the "brushed" look is simply to run a scotch brite pad back and forth quite heavily to brush the painted surface. Then clear coat over the top to seal it. See YouTube

Jaguartvr 16th April 2016 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericholm (Post 76365)
That's awesome, but as I have 4 weeks to wait, it's also like showing me a Xmas present I can't have until 28 sleeps!

Hoping it looks that good.no pressure Richard :high5:

Can't be many more sleeps left.

Any updates?

ericholm 16th April 2016 18:51

Ha ha, Father Christmas has been delayed a little, needs some more elves to help, 7 more sleeps at least I reckon if not 14. :sleep::sleep: or 28....

Nubodi Automotive 17th April 2016 09:33

There was an issue with the paint. I came out plain matt silver so there is a technician coming from the paint company to diagnose the problem and correct the procedure.

Leatherseat 11th May 2016 18:03

This thread has highlighted just how much work (and skill) goes into making these wonderful, finished cars.
One of the great things about these cars is the individuality of so many aspects and features.
Is there any progress on the paint?

Best wishes,

David

ericholm 11th May 2016 18:33

Thanks for the comments and welcome to the forum!:thumb:

Well its been a while, I promise to post an update when it is back with me. For sure. The elves are hard at work and I am sure it will be worth the wait.

Patience please.......good things come to those who wait.:wink:

Thanks.

kevemm 11th May 2016 18:36

cant wait to see the pics good luck

Kev

Roadster 11th May 2016 21:16

im nervous for you eric
Its an unusual finish I hope it ends up as you imagined

ericholm 12th May 2016 18:08

Z3 parts sales

Hi all,

I planned to put up some cost info at the end of the build but would be happy to share the following with you now. It might help others. :gossip:

The Z3 I bought was a 2002 3.0i msport and the body work was in fair/good condition (see pictures below). The car had very little use in the 2 years before I bought it and had 75k miles on the clock. The car was metallic blue. I paid £3,280.00 for the car (May 2015).

After stripping it I had a big pile of unwanted parts so used ebay to list and sell them. Here is a list of all the parts I sold and the amount I cleared on each after all fees (ebay, P&P and paypal where applicable).

BMW Fire ex £28.67
Steering wheel £40.00
Mirror Mount £7.58
Stereo £39.20
Passenger wing, rear bumper, boot £135.00
OSF wing front £39.99
NSF wing front £10.00
3rd brake light £47.86
Door handle surrounds £7.35
Sills £43.10
Drivers side rear wing £45.00
Onboard CPU £34.54
Bonnet (had some big scratches) £100.00
Side grills £29.93
Wing mirrors £225.00
Front bumper £225.00
Wheels and tyres (excellent condition with lots of tread) £500.00
Grills front £30.52
Rear lamps £160.04
Front lamps £154.00
Hoops £75.00
Wind deflector £60.00

So I recouped around £2k of the original cost of the car! which was much more than I expected :biggrin:

I mainly listed the parts on ebay as collection only and cash on collection. When people came to pick up I did the 'up-sell' (I am a saleman by trade!) and most people went away with other parts that I had listed, which made it much easier to get rid of everything:biggrin1:

I hope it helps those who are stripping this year!:peace:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/336/1...06ab0bd0_c.jpgDSCN3785 by eric holm, on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/477/2...7d313c63_c.jpgDSCN3786 by eric holm, on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/262/1...4345f362_c.jpgDSCN3793 by eric holm, on Flickr

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3796/...ee92bc1c_c.jpgDSCN3805 by eric holm, on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/533/2...af56a14a_c.jpgDSCN3799 by eric holm, on Flickr

Jaguartvr 12th May 2016 18:17

Thanks Andy, just stripped the panels off mine today so gives me a good idea of what to aim for price wise. saying that mine doesn't look as pristine as yours so will pitch them lower as I need the space and would like them gone quickly. Can't complain as it was a cheap car to begin with.

ericholm 12th May 2016 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaguartvr (Post 78928)
Thanks Andy, just stripped the panels off mine today so gives me a good idea of what to aim for price wise. saying that mine don't look as pristine as yours so will pitch them lower as I need the space and would like them gone quickly. Can't complain as it was a cheap car to begin with.

No worries, your thread prompted me to stick this info up!, want to help others where I can as I got lots of help from this forum during my build :plane:

DaveP 12th May 2016 21:55

Thanks also for sharing the list. It puts into perspective what the purchase of a Z3 final cost is once you sell the parts. £2k was very impressive indeed.

Dave

Jaguartvr 13th May 2016 09:29

:frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frosty:

Does the £80 for the bonnet include shipping to Italy?

I think I'm going to cut up all the parts and take them to the dump!
EBay does seem to attract them:mmph:

ericholm 13th May 2016 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaguartvr (Post 78956)
:frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frosty:

Does the £80 for the bonnet include shipping to Italy?

I think I'm going to cut up all the parts and take them to the dump!
EBay does seem to attract them:mmph:

Ha ha I had lots of inquiries from Italy, in fact my hoops went there and cost a fortune to dispatch due to the weight, but the buyer was happy to pay for shipping. :faint:

Goodluck!

Barber 13th May 2016 16:34

Fantastic for me, as a novice to get this detailed information. All the time it helps to know what trade offs might be available and what to look for as a donor. Consequently, lower net costs on the donor makes a more adventurous approach to the build possible. Two weeks ago, I would not have dreamed of mixing or getting customised parts. This forum is great, and the generous sharing of information a tremendous help.

smash 16th May 2016 10:31

Wow - 2k!!! Really?

I thought I was doing OK getting £400 buy back for all parts as part of build agent scheme lol

Your paint will be great - they're not rushing it, all will be well I'm sure.

ericholm 16th May 2016 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by smash (Post 79121)
Wow - 2k!!! Really?

I thought I was doing OK getting £400 buy back for all parts as part of build agent scheme lol

Hi Scott,

Yep, but a lot of photographing:photo:, listing time and arranging to be around for buyers to turn up :yawn:, so didn't account for any of that in the equation, but still surprised by the amount I managed to recoup, mostly in the tyres and wheels, mirrors and lights. :yo:

Cheers.

smash 16th May 2016 10:50

Let's be honest - I couldn't be arsed to do it so was quite happy (not moaning for once!) :)

I do have wheels and tyres to list but they're no minters...

306craig 19th May 2016 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by smash (Post 79121)
Wow - 2k!!! Really?

Not wanting to get involved in a 'my Dad's bigger then your Dad' style thing but; I would have welcomed any where near that for my MX5 parts sold for my 250 build, got £30 quid for my rear bumper and that was it. Everything else went to the tip. Even had to cut my bonnet in half with a grinder to get it in the boot of the car. Not impressed!

306craig 19th May 2016 19:55

Hi ericholm, been following your build with interest and I have noticed a number of NI plated cars in various pictures. Are you based in NI?