Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tribute Automotive Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Geoff's 250 SWB Replica Build (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4261)

molleur 2nd May 2019 21:12

Which coilovers will give sufficient drop for the Z3 I was looking at Godspeed coilovers, but it lowers only 1.25 inches front and rear.
Any recommendations?

Thanks

Lucky@LeMans 2nd May 2019 22:55

Looks the part ! The detailing of the rear window with chrome trim surround works really well, was that custom made ?

DaveP 2nd May 2019 23:56

Looks bloody nice car Geoff. My compliments. I like the wheels too although would improved if dropped a bit IMHO.

Safe trip to Italy and back

Dave

DaveP 2nd May 2019 23:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by molleur (Post 100217)
Which coilovers will give sufficient drop for the Z3 I was looking at Godspeed coilovers, but it lowers only 1.25 inches front and rear.
Any recommendations?

Thanks

I went BC Racing for my Kobra. Not cheap but do drop and have adjustable dampers as well as height of springs.

Dave

molleur 2nd May 2019 23:58

thanks Dave, I'll have a look.

casamolino 3rd May 2019 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans (Post 100219)
Looks the part ! The detailing of the rear window with chrome trim surround works really well, was that custom made ?

Thanks for all the comments guys , the rear window and surround were supplies by Justin at Grassbank , Geoff .

Simon E 3rd May 2019 09:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaguartvr (Post 100216)
And some people want to paint them yellow

I plead guilty, M'Lord! :icon_twisted:

Hughandjen 3rd May 2019 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon E (Post 100227)
I plead guilty, M'Lord! :icon_twisted:

I’m going yellow too😜

kon 3rd May 2019 13:25

Very, very nice. I like the curved rear screen too.

Not wanting to nit-pick... but I'm going to anyway... isn't that GB sticker on the wrong side of the car? I thought the idea was that it should be on the near-side (when in the UK), so when you are being over-taken in a country which drives on the right, it's more easily visible, as it's then on the off-side. That way the person over-taking can more easily see it, so they know they are in your blind-spot?

casamolino 3rd May 2019 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaguartvr (Post 100215)
Love it but lower the suspension and fit wire wheels

Jag i am sure people would find it helpful if you could put some photos up of your SWB before and after you installed aftermarket suspension so the difference can be seen , also when you fitted wire wheels did you carry out the mod to narrow the rear track? thanks Geoff .

Jaguartvr 3rd May 2019 18:15

I fitted MWS bolt on wheels and no adjustment was needed, they were from an XJS.
I then bought a brand new second hand set of MWS bolt ons that were for a 90's BMW 5 series, result I thought but they stuck out about an inch too far. Shame as they had a bit more of the outer rim showing making them look a little like Borranis.
I then bought a set of Dayton bolt ons that were again fitted to an XJS.
These look much nicer than the MWS as the centres are smaller and have the bonus of weighing a lot less.

Will post some before and after pictures when I fit the lowering springs. They are 35mm lower than standard.

casamolino 3rd May 2019 18:26

Cheers Jag , Geoff .

IanA 3rd May 2019 21:23

Super job and quick too.

I like the seats- low back with detachable headrests. How are the seat-belts mounted? Did you keep the Z3 sub-frames?

casamolino 4th May 2019 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanA (Post 100240)
Super job and quick too.

I like the seats- low back with detachable headrests. How are the seat-belts mounted? Did you keep the Z3 sub-frames?

Good afternoon Ian , i did not use the Z3 sub-frames , i bought the seats with a set of runners for each and then used a piece of 2"square hollow steel to run from side to side of the runners , this steel was then bolted into the standard Z3 floor mounting points , the seat belt on the right hand side of the drivers seat was bolted down to the floor , the seat-belt stalk on the left hand side of the drivers seat was bolted to the steel that runs from side to side , hope this helps Geoff .

IanA 4th May 2019 19:53

Thanks for that, Geoff.
I guess all will become clear when I get round to removing a seat. Did you have to bridge the seat circuit with a resistor?

Welshkiwi 5th May 2019 03:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanA (Post 100254)
Thanks for that, Geoff.
I guess all will become clear when I get round to removing a seat. Did you have to bridge the seat circuit with a resistor?

Hope the below helps Ian, copied from my build thread when I bypassed my SRS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welshkiwi (Post 97620)
Hi guys,

The following is the normal safety caveat - I am only disabling my SRS system as I am allowed to by LVV and the fact that new seatbelts are being fitted. I am not condoning tampering or working on the SRS system for any purposes other than documenting what has been done on my car so my memory can be accessed down the track.

Made up the passenger occupancy bypass sensor to allow the SRS system to believe that someone is sat in the seat - This then stops the sensor sending a fault message for being unplugged. So I have successfully bypassed:

Drivers side seat belt loom - 100 Ohm resistor which simulates seatbelt buckled. (across outside pins)

Drivers side pretensioner squib - 3.3 Ohm resistor which simulates the squib. (Across two pins)

Passenger side pretensioner squib - Again 3.3 Ohm resistor (Across two pins)

Passenger side occupancy sensor - 2x100 Ohm resistors and 1x 1N4004 diode in series (Silver diode band to blue seat control box unit lead) - Simulates someone sat in the seat which activates the Passenger airbag and stops a fault code for SBE01.

Just for your info your passenger side buckled sensor is not plugged in. I imagine that this is a throw back from L/H drive or R/H drive cars and the loom is swapped sides in the car depending on country of required usage. (Drivers seat active from buckled sensor, passenger side from occupancy sensor)

This above info can help if you have a fault message and you are trying to identify if it is the loom or a component faulty. You will need a fault reset tool though as they stay "latched/hard locked in"

casamolino 5th May 2019 09:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanA (Post 100254)
Thanks for that, Geoff.

Morning Ian i have no airbags fitted and i have also removed the airbag control unit , Geoff .

IanA 5th May 2019 09:21

Many thanks for these responses and apologies for not using forum search. Only on my WiFi hotspot at Stoneleigh and answers appear!!! What a forum...

Egdik 20th May 2019 23:50

MM

Hi,

Looking forward to your report and photos from the Mille Miglia

casamolino 23rd May 2019 08:32

Back from Italy yesterday afternoon , unusual for the weather to improve the closer we got to the the UK . We were on the 08:00 ferry from Dunkirk with probably no more than 10 other cars , so it was pretty much empty of passengers although it was full of trucks . In approx 2,800 miles no oil or water used but plenty of Unleaded! pictures to follow of the MM , thanks Geoff .