Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tribute Automotive Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Geoff's 250 SWB Replica Build (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4261)

casamolino 9th September 2015 16:33

Good afternoon Wasz I have the trim ready for the rear screen but as it will be removed for the spray work it is not worth installing the chrome strip , I have not made a final decision on the front yet , thanks Geoff .

Kit 275GTB 9th September 2015 22:14

Chrome trim

Hmmm. Does anyone know how to produce a one off chrome trim, 'cos I have got to do it?

smash 9th September 2015 22:25

Something like this...

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/...psrge2cut4.jpg

Mitchelkitman 9th September 2015 22:52

There is plastic chrome stick on type available (I don't know if 'round corners' are available) - I think Car builder Solutions (and others) sell it.
I guess it might be possible (though difficult) to make something out of GRP making a female mould by routing wood, varnishing it and using 'metal powder' gelcoat pigment - a lot of work!
Thin stainless (or better still chromed brass) would be ideal, and could be bent to some extent?

Lucky@LeMans 9th September 2015 23:03

There are clip on / stick on chrome trims available for the Z3 so they should be a good starting point .

mobilerobbie 10th September 2015 06:45

For the rear you can use the original MGB GT trim....

Roadster 10th September 2015 06:54

what trims are you in need of
The 3m self adhesive chrome strip can be applied and will make quite tight corners.

or for larger areas chrome vinyl wrap which can be gently heated around more complex shapes.

So you could make a wooden trim and apply chrome vinyl to it

You could make quarter bumpers this way

Kit 275GTB 10th September 2015 08:11

Chrome trim

Wow! Thanks guys!

garyh 10th September 2015 08:36

so, would having a spare windscreen to use as part of a mould be the way to go

Roadster 10th September 2015 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by garyh (Post 71135)
so, would having a spare windscreen to use as part of a mould be the way to go

It would be an easy way to make sure the curvature is correct

Egdik 11th September 2015 19:25

Audio ?

Did your car have the mid-range speakers behind the seats ?
Are you planning to re site them ?
Might they be thin enough to fit in either of the wooden boards ?

Could some of the plastic fascia around the corner by the door be retained ?

casamolino 11th September 2015 19:33

Good evening , I will not be having a radio so no speakers will be installed , the plastic trim under the dash in front of each door will be replaced by carpet , thanks Geoff .

WorldClassAccident 12th September 2015 09:34

Geoff - if you are covering the wooden door cards, have you considered a horizontal split about 1/3rd down the door panel towards the back. This will mean the bottom of the door car will be closer fittin that the top part.

Hard to describe but if you look at the pictures of my door you should hopefully see what I mean.

It has the effect of making it look like a fitted panel rather than a sheet of wood bolted to the door. Purely cosmetic but I was surprised by the visual difference

casamolino 12th September 2015 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident (Post 71189)
Geoff - if you are covering the wooden door cards, have you considered a horizontal split about 1/3rd down the door panel towards the back. This will mean the bottom of the door car will be closer fittin that the top part.

Hard to describe but if you look at the pictures of my door you should hopefully see what I mean.

It has the effect of making it look like a fitted panel rather than a sheet of wood bolted to the door. Purely cosmetic but I was surprised by the visual difference

Thanks Nick will investigate , spent this afternoon installing a headlining and two pieces of trim , know I now why people have gone for the convertible version of the 250 swb (joke), what a difficult job , the *correct* method is to apply the glue to both surfaces and then fit! at this point there is zero chance of adjustment , my method was to apply the glue just to a small part of one surface press that part into place then apply more glue to the next section on just one surface and so on . The headlining was bought from Martrim in Sanbach and comes from a 1.5m wide roll 1m length would be £10 , I spent a total of £15 on the headlining and £10 for the glue , if doesn`t fall of overnight then that's finally a job completed , Geoff .

Mitchelkitman 12th September 2015 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by casamolino (Post 71210)
Thanks Nick will investigate , spent this afternoon installing a headlining and two pieces of trim , know I now why people have gone for the convertible version of the 250 swb (joke), what a difficult job , the *correct* method is to apply the glue to both surfaces and then fit! at this point there is zero chance of adjustment , my method was to apply the glue just to a small part of one surface press that part into place then apply more glue to the next section on just one surface and so on . The headlining was bought from Martrim in Sanbach and comes from a 1.5m wide roll 1m length would be £10 , I spent a total of £15 on the headlining and £10 for the glue , if doesn`t fall of overnight then that's finally a job completed , Geoff .

Hmm, I know the difficulty with the headlining, having fitted it to my Quantum and nearly being overcome by the glue! - a dash out of the garage for air was the emergency action I had to take. BTW my headlining is a sort of 'fuzzy felt', what is yours?

Lucky@LeMans 13th September 2015 11:56

There is the option of a sprayed on flocking . Gives a nice even finish but is a bit messy to apply . It could be done before the roof section is fitted , upside down on the floor.

mobilerobbie 13th September 2015 13:27

there is only 1 correct way, and that is glueing it in BEFORE you place the kit...

casamolino 13th September 2015 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchelkitman (Post 71213)
Hmm, I know the difficulty with the headlining, having fitted it to my Quantum and nearly being overcome by the glue! - a dash out of the garage for air was the emergency action I had to take. BTW my headlining is a sort of 'fuzzy felt', what is yours?

Fuzzy felt is probably a good description and even though I didn`t use the one correct method it hasn`t fallen off yet , Geoff .

Lucky@LeMans 13th September 2015 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchelkitman (Post 71213)

Check out floc-king.co.uk based in Nottingham. They offer a professional flocking service and I'm sure they could do headlining , the do all sorts of car trim and it looks spot on !

casamolino 10th October 2015 10:11

Good morning after a number of attempts this is my version of a cut down Z3 centre console ready to be fitted , Geoff .

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...9/DSCF1597.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...9/DSCF1598.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...9/DSCF1618.jpg