Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tribute Automotive Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Mister Towed's SWB 250GT SEFAC build. (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5343)

Mister Towed 29th June 2016 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxford1360 (Post 80690)
Here you go, Mr T -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-VW...IAAOSwvg9XUJMq

You'll have it finished by Sunday.

Wow, that's really good value for someone, just not me. Nice find.

Mister Towed 29th June 2016 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaguartvr (Post 80688)
Seats are very tempting but just too far away to collect.

That's a shame, they are very comfy...

Psycho pops 29th June 2016 20:12

Skoda, was my guess too...:flame:

peterux 29th June 2016 21:23

Reliant Scimitar has a separate chassis and the engine in the right end..:nod:

Paul L 29th June 2016 21:42

Mister Towed - It is a shame that you are not going to build a SWB 250. :icon_sad:

But at least I can now look forward to your new Outlaw 356 Speedster build thread instead. :cool:

As for your donor car options, are you planning to keep it to scale, or 'supersize' it a bit?

Which would open up the Boxster / Audi TT options discussed in this thread:
http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ead.php?t=5451

Good luck, Paul. :)

PS
Did you see this thread?
http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ead.php?t=5966

Mister Towed 29th June 2016 22:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul L (Post 80701)
Mister Towed - It is a shame that you are not going to build a SWB 250. :icon_sad:

But at least I can now look forward to your new Outlaw 356 Speedster build thread instead. :cool:

As for your donor car options, are you planning to keep it to scale, or 'supersize' it a bit?

Which would open up the Boxster / Audi TT options discussed in this thread:
http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ead.php?t=5451

Good luck, Paul. :)

PS
Did you see this thread?
http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ead.php?t=5966

Hi Paul, Speedster will be correct dimensions as original but with a few hidden outlaw surprises.

Yes, I saw that refurb thread, very interesting but I still think it should be named Delilah - Why? Why? Why? Delilah, da da da da da da da. etc.

Build thread will have to wait until I actually build it...

froggyman 15th July 2016 09:05

Is it finished yet?

Mister Towed 15th July 2016 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by froggyman (Post 81092)
Is it finished yet?

If you mean the 356, no, it's still at the gathering parts stage.

It'll be a slow process putting it together - now I've had a chance to take measurements from the bodyshell it seems that what I actually have is a Banham New Speedster body, which was intended to go on a Rover Metro/100 base, so the wheelbase is 150mm longer than it should be.

That means I've got to take 75mm out between the back of the front arches and the leading edge of the doors and another 75mm out from between the trailing edge of the doors and the front of the rear arches. Sounds simple enough...

Very Andy 19th July 2016 10:44

Oh a Banham New Speedster.. Rare as hens teeth that!

Did anyone ever build a BNS?

Might be wrong but I had my misgivings re cooling, as the intention was for it to be front engined, water cooled Metro but I didn't think it had anywhere near enough ventilation for a standard radiator let alone one from British Leyland! :icon_lol:

Good Luck Mr T, watching with great interest.

Mister Towed 19th July 2016 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Very Andy (Post 81157)
Oh a Banham New Speedster.. Rare as hens teeth that!

Did anyone ever build a BNS?

Might be wrong but I had my misgivings re cooling, as the intention was for it to be front engined, water cooled Metro but I didn't think it had anywhere near enough ventilation for a standard radiator let alone one from British Leyland! :icon_lol:

Good Luck Mr T, watching with great interest.

Hi Andy, I believe a few got built - there's one in the madabout kitcars picture gallery if you look hard enough - and the demonstrator looked pretty good to me -

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/...psxd3iyysi.jpg

As for the cooling issue I have a couple of tricks I'm planning to use to ensure it keeps its cool, like an electric coolant pump, a decent sized copper cored rad and 'brake' cooling ducts in the front valance to allow air into the engine bay.

Just need to find the time to get on with it now. :juggle:

Mitchelkitman 19th July 2016 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Towed (Post 81161)
- and the demonstrator looked pretty good to me -

The demonstrator may not be a working car - or only for a few yards! who knows? I remember many years ago seeing a kit car at Stoneleigh and Newark in all its splendour, but with no prop shaft. Feeling mischievous I asked the company director about it, and he said "oh that's only a minor thing, will be sorted soon" Fair enough, but 4 years later it still wasn't sorted, which begs the question why (and the company went into liquidation.. wonder why?)

Paul L 19th July 2016 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Towed (Post 81098)
...That means I've got to take 75mm out between the back of the front arches and the leading edge of the doors and another 75mm out from between the trailing edge of the doors and the front of the rear arches. Sounds simple enough...

https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/shri...YWUyNjgwYg.jpg

:icon_wink:

Roadster 19th July 2016 21:41

I built a banham an X99

It was one of my cheaper builds but it was even more cheaply laid up.
I spoke to the laminators and they said they could make them better but they were made to a price point.

You made a great job of the Sammio so im sure you have the skill set to end up with an outlaw 356

lancelot link 20th July 2016 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Very Andy (Post 81157)
Oh a Banham New Speedster.. Rare as hens teeth that!

Did anyone ever build a BNS?

Might be wrong but I had my misgivings re cooling, as the intention was for it to be front engined, water cooled Metro but I didn't think it had anywhere near enough ventilation for a standard radiator let alone one from British Leyland!

I bought one years ago as an unfinished project ...They had quite a few issues . The front wings covered quite a few of the engine bay components , things like the battery and electrics were half covered by bodywork with no real easy solution to how to rectify it ..Many items would be impossible to remove once the body was in place....The 550 I built was not without issues but seemed a bit better thought out ...I got the impression the Speedster was developed very quickly to get it on the market without thinking about or maybe caring about how it would be built ..You would kind of accept that if it was cheap , but they were quite expensive at the time ...

I used the body and put it on a modified Beetle chassis that I seperated from an unfinished Charger kit car !

redratbike 20th July 2016 15:44

be
quick buy a cheap chassis
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Beetle-...MAAOSwYSlXhlf5

oxford1360 20th July 2016 15:54

And this -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Beetle-...n/282105898352

Mister Towed 28th August 2016 10:41

Useful items for a 250 SWB build now listed on ebay. Seats, indicators, badges, Nardi steering whee (including E36 boss and Ferrari centre cap)l and barely worn 15" tyres all available, listings end next Sunday -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1421000792...84.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1421000787...84.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1421000783...84.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1421000780...84.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1421000776...84.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1421000770...84.m1555.l2649

zagmad 7th November 2016 19:14

Hows the 356 build going. Did you go for the vw chassis . Was looking at mgf mid engine car. They seem similar size to the metro. And used the same wheel Stud pattern. Cooling might be easier. Though id probably put a Toyota engine in.

Mister Towed 7th November 2016 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by zagmad (Post 84134)
Hows the 356 build going. Did you go for the vw chassis . Was looking at mgf mid engine car. They seem similar size to the metro. And used the same wheel Stud pattern. Cooling might be easier. Though id probably put a Toyota engine in.

I'm going Spitfire chassis and Ford Puma engine. Should be pretty quick.

molleur 7th November 2016 20:04

Good choices!


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 03:29.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright Madabout Kitcars 2022