Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Old No.7 Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Now bodyshell from old no.7 (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7242)

redratbike 15th February 2020 17:05

Now bodyshell from old no.7

Sorry to steal Dan’s thunder but just popped up on Facebook

New on the want list , top of the want list

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Old-no7-A...53.m1438.l2649

Lucky@LeMans 15th February 2020 18:26

Looks interesting, I did a bit of Googling as the ad on ebay is a bit vague. More than a hint of Maserati A6 about it. Not sure what glass will fit into it, seems to have Karman Ghia shape to it as well, at least from the rear.

NeilF355 16th February 2020 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans (Post 103501)
More than a hint of Maserati A6 about it. Not sure what glass will fit into it.

Porsche 356 coupe windscreen. Flat toughened glass side windows and lexan rear screen to follow.

Source https://www.facebook.com/pg/TributeAutomotive/posts/

JG 16th February 2020 21:20

Wow, love it:eusa_clap:

molleur 17th February 2020 01:12

Who made it?

Mister Towed 17th February 2020 07:02

That's lovely and has great potential. Is it a one-off or will there be more if the demand is there?

Lucky@LeMans 17th February 2020 07:35

I think the bodies are available to order .

I would be tempted to find a couple of inches each end so it would fit over a Scimitar SE5 99" chassis, better than a Herald chassis as suggested.

redratbike 17th February 2020 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans (Post 103514)

I would be tempted to find a couple of inches each end so it would fit over a Scimitar SE5 99" chassis, better than a Herald chassis as suggested.

Was thinking that myself

As above front glass is 356

Hi Mark

The windscreen is from a 356 coupe.
The side windows will be made by us in glass similar to the Swb kit. The rear screen we are trying to source something that’s production and suitable but if not we will have them made in plastic.

Kind regards

Car photographer 19th February 2020 12:06

just make a convertible with aero screens - problem solved :icon_wink:

redratbike 19th February 2020 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car photographer (Post 103524)

That’s called a Formosa gr120

Mitchelkitman 19th February 2020 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car photographer (Post 103524)

Doesn't 'convertible' suggest a cloth roof? What would you attach it to at the front? :biggrin:

Car photographer 20th February 2020 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchelkitman (Post 103529)
Doesn't 'convertible' suggest a cloth roof? What would you attach it to at the front? :biggrin:

Maybe convertible was the wrong word ..... I meant topless!!!

Car photographer 20th February 2020 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by redratbike (Post 103527)
That’s called a Formosa gr120

The 120 has a different body shape though.

I really like the 120 but it'd need a few tweaks to make it look 'right' (for me)

This thing reminds me of Steve Moals 'Gatto' creation which is partly inspired by the Maserati I think

Mitchelkitman 21st February 2020 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car photographer (Post 103547)
Maybe convertible was the wrong word ..... I meant topless!!!

Yes.... Topless is good, reminds me of Summer :whistle:

redratbike 21st February 2020 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car photographer (Post 103548)
The 120 has a different body shape though.

I really like the 120 but it'd need a few tweaks to make it look 'right' (for me)

This thing reminds me of Steve Moals 'Gatto' creation which is partly inspired by the Maserati I think

I hadn’t seen this very nice

lancelot link 22nd February 2020 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans (Post 103514)

I looked at this the other day whilst visiting Chris as Tribute are moulding a new bonnet option for my Formosa 120 GRs at present ... Chris straightened out my buck and is moulding it and pulling the first one before the mould goes to my usual laminator ...
They are very pretty ... Definitely A6 GCS inspired and great potential if you put the effort in ...
An SE5 tweak wouldn't be straightforward ... I looked at that and apart from the track being a bit narrow , which you may be able to deal with using skinny MGA steels or something , but it is close .... The seating position in relation to rear axle means you'll be sat on top of the 4 bars in its current setup ... So the 4-5" stretch will need to be done behind the seat and in front of rear wheel arch ... And even 4-5" may not be enough , so it may be a case of adding extra there and taking a bit out of the front .... That may mess with the silhouette too much ...
I'd suggest looking at something other than Scimitar .... Locost etc maybe where the rear 4 bar is much shorter ...

Lucky@LeMans 22nd February 2020 11:21

I thought Lotus 7 style donor but then thought the standard style doors would open against the high chassis rails of a 7. Not a problem in an open car but with a roof I don't think you could get in or out !

If you wanted a 7 inspired donor the only one that would accommodate the body is a Locust with ladder chassis. There might be other ladder chassis options but there won't be much choice.

Mister Towed 23rd February 2020 13:28

Citroen 2CV is the right wheelbase...

Treat it to a BMW R1 conversion from Sparrow Engineering, give the Tin Snail's suspension a bit, okay, a lot of lowering, and, with a big dollop of imagination, you could have a jaw-dropping little road rocket that returns 60mpg and can cross a ploughed field without breaking any eggs.

Lucky@LeMans 23rd February 2020 17:35

Original VW Beetle has the right wheel base. I'm not a fan of the air cooled flat 4 but there are lots of options to bolt onto that gearbox.

Mitchelkitman 23rd February 2020 18:06

Maybe the Pie Valley Buggies chassis (which has been designed to replace the beetle floorpan) would make an ideal basis for this bodshell. With a VW lump in the boot (turbo charged) or an Audi it would be a real hoot!