Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sammio Builds and discussions (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The first Cordite? (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3421)

donnysoutherner 28th March 2012 21:22

The first Cordite?

Like most of the people on this forum, I stumbled across the Sammio via ebay and was smitten straight away. Currently got a crowded garage as the TVR that was my last project is still here (offers anyone?).

After a bit of digging around on ebay, originally looking for Scmitar base i found an abondoned Spitfire 1300 base with an hour to go and I bid on it on impulse. So I was committed (or maybe I should be!).

Any way, phoned Gary last week and put the order in for what appears to be the first production Cordite. Can't wait!

Will post some photos as I go, but just wanted to say hi.

Simon

tlrtone 28th March 2012 21:30

Hi Simon, great news, and welcome to the sammio-not-a-club :biggrin:

Let's have lots of photos of the donor stripdown and build, as I might have to do a Cordite after I have finished my Spyder!:eek:

Mister Towed 28th March 2012 21:31

Welcome to the fold and congratulations on being the first Cordite customer. Looking forward to seeing some progress pic's. :biggrin:

garyh 28th March 2012 21:33

Wow, number 1... It's a lovely option look forward to seeing you start the build. And welcome, it's the best forum going. Garyh.

GazDavies 28th March 2012 21:49

Welcome, I will look forward to reading about your build.

Have you gone down the more expensive and hopefully less hassle donor route or are you opting for a full rebuild?

davecymru 29th March 2012 07:48

Hi Simon, impulse buys eh...... you don't have to explain/justify them to anyone on here :)

Really looking fwd to seeing a Cordite build and as others have said, lots of pics please!

Good luck

Dave

donnysoutherner 29th March 2012 20:23

1 Attachment(s)
OK, so here is a picture of the donor as it arrived at my house. Previous owner had started to make it a lightweight spitfire , hence the lack of a windscreen.
Good news was that he had almost completed the restoration of the chassis and running gear and had all the bits to complete. More pics to come of chassis later now it is stripped down.
Best news is I bought on ebay at £360, sold the body tub, bonnet, seats, roll bar etc and made £560! So £200 up on gthe build so far. It won't last.

donnysoutherner 29th March 2012 20:26

Sorry, no idea how to attach photo using URL hence attachment. Help anyone?

lancelot link 29th March 2012 20:36

Simon , welcome to our clubhouse....

Looking forward to watching your build develop ....hopefully speak soon...

Gary

lancelot link 29th March 2012 20:39

Hers a production shot today of the plug .....the body mould is all done now and we started the bonnet changes this afternoon.

first pattern body could be out next week , I can use that to finish my frame development....bonnet to follow in a few weeks hopefully..

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...DSCF0251-3.jpg

THIS BODY PROBABLY WON'T BE USED AS ITS A COBBLE UP FOR MOULDING .....Might join the silver one hung up !!

garyh 29th March 2012 20:49

Donny, just sent PM that helped me with pics. Thanks to Mr. T.

donnysoutherner 29th March 2012 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancelot link (Post 28674)
Simon , welcome to our clubhouse....

Looking forward to watching your build develop ....hopefully speak soon...

Gary

Thanks Gary, some pics of body being produced would be great, will keep the enthusiasm up.

Paul L 30th March 2012 21:23

donnysoutherner - Congratulations Simon on getting the first Cordite kit.
It also looks like you got a great deal on your donor if you are already in "profit".
Can I ask if you simply re-listed the parts you didn't want straight back on e-bay?
I'm a complete e-bay novice, would it be harder for me to sell parts without any seller history?
Good luck with your build and as others have said, the more photos the better.

lancelot link - Hi Gary, it looks like you are on track to have the Cordite ready for Stoneleigh.
I know you are still building this first one, but can I ask a question about future production.
Will the Cordite be available with the 'twin hump' option you currently offer on the Spyder?

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing this in real life.

Cheers, Paul.

tlrtone 30th March 2012 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul L (Post 28719)
I'm a complete e-bay novice, would it be harder for me to sell parts without any seller history?

Paul, what I did when I first started is I bought lots of cheap bits off ebay to get my feedback score up, like phone chargers, nuts, bolts, cables, etc. That way i got things i needed anyway, but also got my score up with positive feedback. When I went on to sell stuff, it looked better.

So if you need anything, look on ebay first. As an example i have recently bought cable ties, doashboard lights, and number plate light, all low value, but gets your feedback up quickly and easily.

My view is give clear descriptions, and lots of photos and the big stuff, just put as buyer to collect. Do bear in mind ebay take about 10-15% and Paypal another 3-5% so although you may get more, you will have fees to pay!!

Good luck

donnysoutherner 31st March 2012 00:01

Quote:

donnysoutherner
Can I ask if you simply re-listed the parts you didn't want straight back on e-bay?

I did relist items straight away, and had to list more than once in some cases. Feedback scores are important if the item is high value, so follow the advice above and also list some lower value stuff first. Don't be afraid to list things that are quite tatty, I was amazed what I got for some stuff, but be very honest with the descriptions.

Paul L 31st March 2012 07:29

Thanks for the ebay tips gentlemen. :cool:

I still find it amazing what some builders get for the donor parts they don't need.

Cheers, Paul.

lancelot link 31st March 2012 08:27

Quote:

lancelot link - Hi Gary, it looks like you are on track to have the Cordite ready for Stoneleigh.
I know you are still building this first one, but can I ask a question about future production.
Will the Cordite be available with the 'twin hump' option you currently offer on the Spyder?

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing this in real life.

Cheers, Paul.

I THINK SO .....Can't see any reason why not.

MIKE MADE FANTASTIC PROGRESS WITH THE BONNET TODAY - I complicated matters by changing the grille aperture from the original rendering slightly and pretty much taking him back to about square 2 !!

When it has moved forward a little more , I will add some pics ....

donnysoutherner 31st March 2012 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancelot link (Post 28726)
When it has moved forward a little more , I will add some pics ....

Gary you're such a tease... GIMME PHOTOS!

The 1958 Rocker 31st March 2012 20:56

Welcome

Hi Simon, welcome to the clan!! all the best and remember if you ever need help you won't find better than on here. Keep up the good work.

Regards Simon

P.S. I'm not that far away in sunny Boston!!

donnysoutherner 3rd April 2012 18:40

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/...al25022012.jpg

Yes!! worked out how to use photobucket! thanks John (or maybe gary???) for the PM. More to follow soon.