Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tribute Automotive Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   kit number 4 swb convertible (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6248)

andysharrock 30th January 2017 13:22

kit number 4 swb convertible

4 Attachment(s)
I must be a glutton for punishment or just enjoy build kits one or the other.
Kit on order swb convertible for a change planning to have it ready for stoneleigh I did say planning.
car arrived thursday had the weekend in the rain stripping it
Attachment 4115

Attachment 4116

as I am waiting on the kit I decided to go through the car, so I have ordered vented discs and new pads all round and splashed some under seal in the soon to be unseen areas.

Attachment 4117

Attachment 4118

let's hope the weather holds out for next weekend:rain:

Jaguartvr 30th January 2017 13:27

What are the advantages of cutting the holes in the door?
Any chance of a close up picture of the door handle hole?

andysharrock 30th January 2017 13:46

from experience makes life easier to adjust and fit the door handle same again with the mirror. no point been bashful and struggling with small holes been there pain in the backside. you will not see it when the new skin is fitted. cars wrapped up and its raining but will take you a pick next time working on it . think my last swb thread had some pics of the door handle set up. andy

Lucky@LeMans 30th January 2017 22:35

You found a six cylinder car in the end ?

andysharrock 31st January 2017 07:21

2lt lower end but straight 6 could not do the 1.9, shame its not based on the z4 they seem to be selling cheaply and all seem to be the bigger engine nice interiors tooooo

redratbike 31st January 2017 18:21

redesigning to s4 would be good for longevity

andysharrock 31st January 2017 20:08

2 Attachment(s)
I think the Z4 sits and looks a lot better even the interior

Attachment 4119

Attachment 4120

it would look sweet with a SWB kit on with the longer noise and window screen more laid back wonder if chris as ever paid it a thought.

Jaguartvr 1st February 2017 09:57

Z3's are still considerably cheaper than Z4's but the 4's do all seem to have larger engines. I've been looking at Z4's for a donor for DNA's 365 Daytona but nothing much coming along in the bargain basement department. My Z3 2.8 donor was pretty much free after I had sold off all the parts, can't see that happening with a Z4.
As the Z3's become too old to warrant the expense of a conversion, I'm sure Chris won't have too much trouble converting it to a Z4 version, he's already done all the hard work.

Lucky@LeMans 1st February 2017 12:34

I'm not sure how the sill sections fit to a Z4 , they look far more involved than the Z3. Otherwise they would be a better, more available donor. The Z3's look like they are on the verge of becoming collectable in their own right and is reflected in the prices being asked at the moment.

Lucky@LeMans 1st February 2017 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by andysharrock (Post 85835)
I think the Z4 sits and looks a lot better even the interior

Attachment 4119

Attachment 4120

it would look sweet with a SWB kit on with the longer noise and window screen more laid back wonder if chris as ever paid it a thought.

Hmm, I hadn't noticed but it does look longer at the front. The 275 would look the part on a Z4, maybe ?

andysharrock 1st February 2017 12:45

1 Attachment(s)
now that is nice we should be on commision

Attachment 4121

andysharrock 1st February 2017 12:49

1 Attachment(s)
wheels have arrived etype series 1 , hubs will be here for morning praying the brakes get here before the weekend so I can get stuck in raining or not

Attachment 4122

Lucky@LeMans 1st February 2017 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by andysharrock (Post 85850)
now that is nice we should be on commision

Attachment 4121

We are all looking forward to the up and coming NART 275 Spider from
"Old No 7"

andysharrock 2nd February 2017 08:03

1 Attachment(s)
nice to see the bumpers and improved side widows, the windows in the swb hard top were not the best. If I did another hard to I would work on changing them more to the stock not sliders. When or is it coming into production not that I want one this year I already have 3 projects on the go a divorce would be in the air. but maybe next time :spy:

Attachment 4123

Lucky@LeMans 2nd February 2017 19:13

I think they will only be offering the soft top Spider version as a kit. That will retain the stock Z3 windows as per the 250 SWB Kalifornia

andysharrock 5th February 2017 17:46

think the brakes did need changing

5 Attachment(s)
The brake disc did not look to bad no groves etc all the surface rust is from the rust stop I used. but I ordered a full set anyway good job I did when I finally got them off.

Attachment 4132

nice new ones

Attachment 4133

what a pain in the arse think they were original to the car and it did not want to give them up it took twice as long as it should have but worth it.

wire wheel hub fitted
Attachment 4134

and wheels fitted
Attachment 4135

Attachment 4136

WorldClassAccident 5th February 2017 17:56

The second picture from the bottom looks quite cool in a rat rod sort of way. I wonder how far from legal it would be to drive. A couple of discrete front light clusters hidden somewhere and go cruising...

Jaguartvr 6th February 2017 18:11

The wires do look very nice.

Worth getting a spinner removal tool made in aluminium.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ferrari-Te...8AAOxyHntSYE5g

He also makes them for 2 eared spinners, he made me one a few years ago for my Jag. You can tighten and remove them without damaging the spinner.
A lead mallet will damage them, I have tried the wooden tool and and it isn't worth buying as it splits and splinters very quickly. There is also a metal version available but it marks the spinner as well so not worth bothering about.

WorldClassAccident 6th February 2017 18:27

Worth getting a spinner removal tool made in aluminium.

Probably true. The wooden tool I was given with my spinners split the third time I used it.

I now put a bit of sacrificial ply over the ear and smack it with a 4lb lump hammer. I have dented spinner

andysharrock 20th February 2017 18:42

the eagle has landed

4 Attachment(s)
kit arrived this morning I would have photographed it on the pallet as you do but the wind was 40mph and raining typical.

Attachment 4155

so part under a sheet and part getting wet heres where im at day one

Attachment 4156

Attachment 4157

Attachment 4158

quality of the kits is getting better from the first one I did to this the gelcoat has a much better finnish . The wheels fit the arch so no flaring out this time saves me and the bodyshop work another plus. If it stops raining for long enough tomorrow I can get the rest of the body on and start on the tweaking.