Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sammio Builds and discussions (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Spyder number 125 (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3907)

Paul L 25th April 2023 04:16

Slartibartfast – I use A-Plan insurance for my Swordfish (following Mister Towed).

Initially, the no-claims discount I had built up on my ‘normal’ car didn’t apply.

Now I have a separate no-claims record on the Swordfish and it cost $180 last year.
(London, limited mileage and driveway parking.)

Cheers, Paul. :)

PS
To get around the technical problems this site has with some characters, I typed this post in Word first.
I then copied it from Word and pasted it into my reply on here to post it in the normal way.
Then, when most of the post didn’t appear, I used the Edit button to paste it again and then saved it.
That way the whole post appears in a way that ‘normal’ posting will not allow.

Paul L 25th April 2023 04:18

OK, my usual trick didn't work and I had to put a dollar sign instead of a pound. :rolleyes:

slartibartfast 25th April 2023 11:01

Thanks Lucky; right ...... Footman James quoted me 103 pounds, which doesn't sound bad but they were pretty pushy and wanted me to sign up there and then. Sorry, but I wanted to see the terms and conditions before committing; so I terminated the call. So, who do you guys insure with? Let's hope I can get this sorted fairly quickly and get the The Old Chariot on the road for summer.

Lucky@LeMans 25th April 2023 20:17

Footman James are well established so I'd be happy with a fully comp deal from them at that price. I usually go for an agreed value policy with kitcars and specials. At least you know where you stand should your pride and joy be totalled. They are probably having a slow start to the year because the weather is so bad nobody will be putting their cars on the road until it brightens up , you can understand them pushing their policies !

slartibartfast 26th April 2023 09:07

Thanks for your various feedback ..... watch this space

slartibartfast 25th May 2023 12:27

Good news..... I now have an MOT (with a couple of advisories ..) but the embarrassing news ...... it overheated and broke down half a mile from home on the way back, ! thankfully a mate was with me and he walked back and got his car to tow me back. I'm sure we can sort this fairly quickly; possibly a water pump issue. Again, watch this space

Paul L 26th May 2023 20:29

Congratulations on the MOT. :cool:

Shame about the over heating.

I had a lot of crap in my cooling pipes due to the previous owner not using enough anti-freeze.

Good luck with fixing it, cheers, Paul. :)

slartibartfast 27th September 2023 08:39

Ho hum ..... overheating still and blown the head gasket!! I stripped it down and had the head skimmed by about 5 thou and put it all back together with new gaskets all round. Now I have a new problem .... it starts, but then races away for about 10 seconds and then dies ....!
I've checked for leaks in the manifold .... I've checked and double checked the spark timing...... I've checked and reset the carbs ..... but it still has the same problem. Most odd because it was working fairly well before I stripped it down.
Any ideas from you guys much appreciated

Lucky@LeMans 27th September 2023 17:58

Sounds like either an air leak between the manifold to head joint, brake servo pipe off or similar. Is the fuel pump / fuel line supplying a constant flow ?