Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sammio Builds and discussions (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Soft Tonneau Covers... (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3195)

lancelot link 2nd December 2011 19:40

Soft Tonneau Covers...

I have been asked by the new owner of Trevors car to get a fabric tonneau made for him....like the one on my first car - popper stud fixings , little pocket for the steering wheel and a zip through the centre.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...ink/SAMMIO.jpg

I have spoken to my trimmer and hes happy to make one for him....

If anyone else wants one , they can be made for £125 in black including the fixings to go on the car....

THANK YOU

Mister Towed 2nd December 2011 23:19

Ah Haa!

Was planning to make one myself but a hundred and twenty five smacker-rooneys sounds pretty good to me.

Will that include fasteners btw?

WorldClassAccident 3rd December 2011 08:05

Probably for the TVR/G46 but not until the new year.

Mister Towed 3rd December 2011 10:01

Just read your original post again Gary, and I now see that the fasteners are included but what grade of vinyl will be used: is it going to be heavy duty waterproof like the stuff used for convertible roofs?

If you could let me know how much UK P&P would be I'll get a cheque in the post straight away.

davecymru 3rd December 2011 16:58

hummmmmm tempting. i'd just be worried about the fit considering the mod i made at the back of the cockpit on mine where i've squared the corners off.

I may have to talk to you about this separately at some point in the future!

lancelot link 4th December 2011 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Towed (Post 24795)
What grade of vinyl will be used: is it going to be heavy duty waterproof like the stuff used for convertible roofs?

If you could let me know how much UK P&P would be I'll get a cheque in the post straight away.

Quote:

Davecymru - hummmmmm tempting. i'd just be worried about the fit considering the mod i made at the back of the cockpit on mine where i've squared the corners off.
Towed ....they are made from a fabric specifically used by a leading car hood company and supplied to my trimmer direct...its nearer the Mohair materials than Vinyl....BMW / Audi Cabriolet style , a sort of soft canvas..... Its about £50 a metre through normal channels.

Dave ...We can take your mod into consideration , shouldn't be an issue...a decent picture of that area would allow me to get that altered..

Towed..... I reckon postage will be £10 , due to weight , size and heavy duty wrapping !

I'll pm you payment details....

THANK YOU

Mister Towed 4th December 2011 14:16

Thanks Gary, sounds great. The cheque is in the post. :biggrin:

lancelot link 4th December 2011 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Towed (Post 24830)
Thanks Gary, sounds great. The cheque is in the post. :biggrin:

THANK YOU .......

Psycho pops 4th December 2011 19:04

Let me sort something out when I get home,sounds like a good deal.
Thanks Psycho

Mister Towed 20th December 2011 19:37

Gary, did the cheque arrive safely? :spy:

No rush, but do we have a time-scale for delivery? :bored:

Mister Towed 31st January 2012 08:46

Hi Gary, how's your trimmer getting along with my tonneau?

After a bit of a delay due to work and family commitments I'm due to start another phase of my build mid February (when we get back from our winter-sun holiday). This will include fitting up the body to the frame (finally!) and bonding in all the cockpit panels. I'd kind of like to have it by then if possible.

Was I the only builder who saw what a great offer this was?

MikeD 31st January 2012 20:16

Can the trimmer do other colours?? need to match old Jag biscuit leather !!!! sorry, but do like the price

Mister Towed 29th February 2012 16:11

Hi Gary, any news from your trimmer about my tonneau cover yet?

It has been three months since I placed the order... :icon_confused:

lancelot link 29th February 2012 21:05

Towed , have spoken to the trimmer this evening and he is bringing them over Monday . . will get them straight out . Apologies for the delay . .

Mister Towed 1st March 2012 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancelot link (Post 27550)
Towed , have spoken to the trimmer this evening and he is bringing them over Monday . . will get them straight out . Apologies for the delay . .

No problem Gary, TBH I'd completely forgotten about it until I bought the ply for the floor and internal structure the other day and started thinking about the next stage of the build.

Looking forward to receiving it and cracking on with my build now the weather's better.

fordjps78 1st March 2012 20:23

Tonneau cover

Gary thanks for that, I can go out in the rain now !. Any other owners near Bath get in touch please. David.

Mister Towed 7th April 2012 16:25

How's your replacement trimmer getting on with my tonneau Gary?

I know you're busy but it has been four months since I paid... :whip:

davecymru 12th April 2012 13:38

Question to anyone, but what are these covers 'normally' made of?

The reason I'm asking is because i've got some (quite a lot) of the black vinyl covering i used for my wall and tunnel cards and i was wondering if that is a suitable material to make one from or do i need something a bit stronger?

Mister Towed 12th April 2012 16:13

As I understand it they need to be the sort of 'double duck' fabric that quality convertible hoods are made out of. Otherwise they stretch, sag and let water in.

Not that I've ever seen a finished one for a Sammio...

tlrtone 12th April 2012 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Towed (Post 29289)
As I understand it they need to be the sort of 'double duck' fabric that quality convertible hoods are made out of. Otherwise they stretch, sag and let water in.

I was thinking of making up a collapsible frame that holds it up in the middle so it doesn't puddle. The shape of the spyder means that it will puddle unless it stays vey tight. But then again I've never seen one on either :-)