Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Miglia Builds and discussion (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Deni's Miglia Build (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6320)

deni 29th August 2020 18:56

5 Attachment(s)
Having the seats at the right height and position helps with positioning the steering wheel. I have mocked up the mounting for it for now and will weld the proper mounting and bracing next time I work on the car.

I also need to make a subframe for the seats, as I need to raise them for 7 cm.

Attachment 7034

Attachment 7035

Attachment 7036

Attachment 7037

Attachment 7038

deni 29th August 2020 19:18

5 Attachment(s)
I will also modify the steering column. I have bought a 40cm steering shaft and UJ from CBS and another, bit shorter UJ from Canleys, to attach the column to the steering rack. This is needed as the steering column needs to be extended more than it is possible with the original setting, and because the angle of the steering wheel is different from the original.

Attachment 7039

I was also trying to figure out where and how to install the seat belts. I think the approach in the second photo is better, but instead of mounting the third point using the frame-to-chassis bolt, I will weld a mounting point onto the frame just above it.

Attachment 7043

Attachment 7042

As I have mentioned before, I bought a pair of GAZ adjustable shocks a while ago. When all the above is done, I will (try to) tackle the front suspension.
I will use 14" steel wheels with 175/65 tyres. I reckon I will need to lower the car for about 2 inches.

Attachment 7040

Attachment 7041

So much for now, I'll post more photos when I progress further.

Cheers, D.

1iTim 30th August 2020 01:22

Nice work and good progress. I remember trying to get the steering position 'just right' - and in the end gave up and it is where it is!

Good luck!

T

Mister Towed 30th August 2020 10:36

I'd stick with the narrow seats or similar and mount them as low as possible rather than going for the bigger bases.

The reason is you'll end up with your head and upper body sticking up into the air flow above the wind deflector if you have the wide ones high enough to clear the chassis rails. That's not only bad for the aerodynamics, but it's also very uncomfortable and you'll look like Noddy tootling through Toytown.

Ideally, when seated you need your shoulders to be level with or no more than a couple of inches above the cockpit edge.

Ultimately it's your choice and it's nice to see your build progressing.

deni 30th August 2020 11:22

1iTim- Thank you for letting me know so I don't get too frustrated about it :smile: I am looking forward to seeing how you are going to bond the body to the frame, so good luck with it. I also enjoy your YouTube videos, nice to see more Miglias being made!

deni 30th August 2020 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Towed (Post 105062)
I'd stick with the narrow seats or similar and mount them as low as possible rather than going for the bigger bases.

The reason is you'll end up with your head and upper body sticking up into the air flow above the wind deflector if you have the wide ones high enough to clear the chassis rails. That's not only bad for the aerodynamics, but it's also very uncomfortable and you'll look like Noddy tootling through Toytown.

Ideally, when seated you need your shoulders to be level with or no more than a couple of inches above the cockpit edge.

Ultimately it's your choice and it's nice to see your build progressing.

Hahahaha, thanks for your advice Mr T. I will certainly try to avoid looking like Noddy! :smile: I am not very tall though, and I will make sure my shoulders do not stick out above the cockpit too much. I just want to make sure I can see above the screen and make the MOT guys happy (possibly with the help of a cushion :wink: )

Cheers, D.

1iTim 31st August 2020 00:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by deni (Post 105065)
I just want to make sure I can see above the screen and make the MOT guys happy ....

cusion, or a saw (for the screen, not you!)
T

deni 31st August 2020 11:34

1iTim - :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:...that's right, one or another.

Cheers, D.

deni 25th December 2020 11:15

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

deni 7th July 2021 18:16

5 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

I am finally able to continue with my build and I hope to make some good progress in the next few weekends.
I have started to finalise the steering column installation, and I am still working on it, but here are some photos of the mock up that show what I am trying to achieve.

I have already improved the mounting and bracing of the column bracket and I will post more photos of the finished product shortly.

Attachment 7352

Attachment 7353

Attachment 7354

I have also refurbished and repainted all parts and shortened inner column shaft, so I can use UJ's to extend the column and to avoid welding it. Also, this way I'm more flexible with the positioning of the steering wheel.

Attachment 7355

Attachment 7356

deni 7th July 2021 18:21

5 Attachment(s)
Below are the photos showing shortening of the inner column shaft and grinding off the column surface to be able to lock it in place with the locking bracket.

Attachment 7357

Attachment 7358

Attachment 7359

Attachment 7360

Attachment 7361

That's it for now. It's good to be back...I will post more photos soon.

Cheers, D.

Paul L 9th July 2021 16:46

Deni - Good to see you are back on your car. :cool:

Good luck, Paul. :)

deni 10th July 2021 00:03

Thanks Paul, it’s been a while since I was able to work on the car, but I’m finally able to get back to it, which is great.
I am glad to read that you’re planning to get back on the road and enjoy driving the Swoordfish again.
I hope weight lifting is going well (great idea btw), and you’re on track with loosing another stone before the end of the summer...I’m pretty certain you’re more successful with that than I am 😉.

Cheers, D.

deni 15th October 2021 14:34

5 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

A quick update. I have re-addressed my steering column attachment. I thought it could be a bit stronger than the previous one.

Attachment 7408

Attachment 7409

This is how it looks now it's finished. It is not the most elegant solution, but it is quite strong and sturdy.

Attachment 7410

I have drilled 4 holes, so I can choose between 2 lateral positions (if necessary).

Attachment 7411

...and raise it up a bit if necessary.

Attachment 7412

deni 15th October 2021 14:41

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 7413

Attachment 7414

Attachment 7415

It took me a while to figure out and decide how to do this and I'm happy with the result. It is strong and sturdy, as I said before, and it is easy to remove the column and the whole assembly if necessary.

deni 15th October 2021 14:56

4 Attachment(s)
I have also fabricated a back plate to bolt the back side of the brake and clutch pedals on, and to mount the accelerator pedal.

Attachment 7416

I've also added a stop plate for the accelerator pedal and to have a solid base to drill a hole and attach the accelerator cable too (as I'm not sure if the bulkhead cladding will be at the right height).

Attachment 7417

Attachment 7418

Attachment 7419

deni 15th October 2021 15:10

4 Attachment(s)
I have added a self-aligning bearing too, to add extra support to the upper steering column.

Attachment 7420

Attachment 7421

I'm not sure if it is necessary, but I am thinking of adding another self-aligning bearing further down (which would be mounted on the steel bars welded onto the chassis), to add extra support to the lower steering shaft. Any comments and advice are welcome.

Attachment 7422

Attachment 7423

deni 15th October 2021 15:51

4 Attachment(s)
I don't know if the previous owner has ever changed the brake pipes, and if so, I don't know when. Even though the brake and the fuel pipes look to be in good condition, I have decided to replace them. I've decided to use Cupro-Nickel (Kunifer) pipes instead of copper ones. I bought a pre-made set and they look and feel strong, yet easy to bend and install.

Attachment 7424

I have never done this before (like most things I have done so far in this build) and I was curious if I will be able to do this. It's going well so far I think. As you can see from the photos below, I have managed to change the back brake pipes.

Attachment 7425

Attachment 7426

I found a bit of surface corrosion below the front brake splitter (where the brake fluid was dripping I guess), so I will first clean, apply rust treatment and paint this area before replacing the front pipes. I guess I could replace the line splitters too while I am at it, but I am not sure if that is necessary. Again, any advice is welcome.

It was already getting dark by the time I wanted to do this, so I will finish the job next time I am in the garage.

Attachment 7427

I will also replace the rubber brake hoses when they arrive. They are not in the stock at the moment and are on back order with Rimmers.

So much for now.

Cheers, Deni.

P.S. I am not sure what is the build progress of other Miglia builders - I am curious how the other builders are progressing and how far on they are. Come on peeps, let us know how it's going ;-)

Paul L 23rd October 2021 10:41

Deni - Sorry, I can't offer much in the way of technical advice about the steering or brakes. :rolleyes:

But I hope I can offer some general encouragement in that you are making good progress. :cool:

Like yourself, I often wonder what happened to other Miglia/Sammio builds.

Unfortunately, I think many builders get overwhelmed by the sheer scale of the task.

It took a lot to keep convincing myself that every job I did, no matter how small, was a step closer to the finish line.
(Which is why I found keeping a build thread such a big help for motivation.)

I think all of us have found this takes longer than we thought/planned/hoped.
(Especially when 'life' gets in the way.)

However, I stick by my theory that as long as you finish, it doesn't matter how long it took.

Good luck, Paul. :)

deni 26th October 2021 12:22

Thank you for your comments Paul.
Yes, life gets in the way very often, and my build is very slow for various reasons, but I have decided not to worry about it too much anymore - I'm doing as much as I can and when I can.
I do not have any previous experience either. Some jobs that are easy for others are a challenge for me, so I need to do a lot of research, but I'm getting there slowly and I enjoy learning how to do them.
This forum is great and the members are very helpful, friendly and understanding (even if I ask a silly question possibly), so thanks everyone for your help and advice so far - if it wasn't for this forum I would probably not dare to start this build.
Also, my garage is an hour drive from my home, so I can't just pop in and do a couple of hours to keep things moving. I couldn't go there during the lockdown either, which was very frustrating.
Nevertheless, I am grateful that I have a garage at all and I am determined to finish the car one day.

Cheers, D.