Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formosa Builds, Ideas and Discussion (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   New build Scimitar Based Formosa (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7365)

Lucky@LeMans 1st August 2021 16:58

Getting lots of interest in the car today at my second visit to Shelsley Walsh. Another great day out and sun came out from mid day which was a bonus following the damp start to the day. I spent a lot of time talking to people interested in the car. A couple asked if it was a Formosa whilst others were talking about Tribute Automotive kits, so some are well informed ! To most the rebody concept remains a mystery but were impressed with the concept and what they saw !
The Prescott vintage meeting is on next Saturday, I'll try and get there early so I might get parked in the paddock area with any luck !

Lucky@LeMans 18th August 2021 10:24

A quick walk around and driving video taken yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIuRD0GP78Y

Jaguartvr 18th August 2021 11:00

Looks very nice, the paintwork looks superb.
It is however crying out for the perspex headlight covers and trims.
Good luck with the sale.
I wouldn't go with the classic car auction site, eBay is a better bet.
2 tribute 250 coupes have just sold
First a gunmetal 2.0 with 135k on the clock, poor interior, odd wire wheels (3 smooth and 1 curly hub sold for £18300 on ebay.

The other was a yellow (love it or hate it) with 101k. Nice build but bog standard BMW wheels with fake spinners (big let down) went for £13500 on the classic auction site.

Lucky@LeMans 18th August 2021 12:08

Thanks Steve, the car looks great and the video is better than a few photos.
I've got it listed on ebay currently and a blue Triumph based example has just sold for the same price I'm asking.. I've got a pair of head light covers but I'm in two minds whether to fit them, perhaps the new owner will !

Jaguartvr 22nd August 2021 08:51

When selling on eBay, list it in the "Kit Car" section. It is normally only 2 pages so isn't much to look through.
When you have to start looking through "Classic Cars" and "Other Cars" the list becomes too long. If someone is after a kit car, whatever the make that is where they will search. Anyone who is looking for a "Formosa GR120" will find it easily by searching for the exact wording.
I wonder how many people searching for a Cobra settle on something else that they hadn't even realise existed.
Spread the net wider (but fit the perspex headlight covers!).
I can never find any of the Tribute adverts without really looking as they are listed under "classic cars"

Lucky@LeMans 22nd August 2021 20:24

Managed to get to two events in the car today. One thing has struck me is that the most interested people who see the car aren't actually looking to buy online, or even looking for cars for sale ! Most seem to be well heeled types that might just buy a car on a whim ! Three people have taken my details today after spending half an hour or so talking about the car. None of them seem to be the time wasting types so it will just take one to come up with an offer. Same has happened over the last couple of weeks, lots of interest in general.
No shortage of page views and watchers on my ebay page. The "kitcar" section only appears to attract kitcar buyers , the "classic" buyers are bigger in number and tend to appreciate the value in a home built special. I checked out the kitcar section earlier and whilst there are one or two nice Cobra's and a well built Ferrari Dino most of the cars are older 7's and the like. Also a few Dutton's and part built projects along with a fair bit of dross so I think I'll stick with the "classic" section !

Lucky@LeMans 27th August 2021 09:31

I've reduced the price a little to try and temp an offer ! Gary says he couldn't build one to this spec for the money I'm asking so i won't be dropping it further !

Lucky@LeMans 18th September 2021 16:34

The car is entered into auction next Saturday.

AlanHogg 28th September 2021 16:51

Posted as sold for less than £14000. Must have been a bit of a blow as asking double that at Stoneleigh.

Lucky@LeMans 29th September 2021 00:13

Auction was a disaster, never again !

redratbike 29th September 2021 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans (Post 106905)
Auction was a disaster, never again !

so was it up for no reserve ?

Lucky@LeMans 24th October 2021 15:54

This car is doing the rounds, not for keeps, one to be bought and sold. Same auction house I used, a copied and pasted text from my auction description, I wish the seller luck !!
https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/a...osa-120-gr-sb/
I'm not bitter and twisted, honest !!

Lucky@LeMans 12th November 2021 19:02

Also in the same auction is the Daimler Maserati I mentioned in a previous post.
https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/a...recreation-dl/

Lucky@LeMans 27th November 2021 12:56

£61k for the Daimler Maserati, the Formosa didn't sell.

deni 6th December 2021 10:41

Hi Lucky,

Can I ask please what kind of Aluminium you have used for your interior and how thick it was?
Also, did you use aluminium or steel rivets to attach it to a steel frame?

Thanks.

Lucky@LeMans 6th December 2021 17:39

I used 20 swg for most of the panels, I think I used 18swg for the bulkhead. This was bought from my local stockist, not sure what grade it was, just what was available. None of it is structural in a Formosa and is easy to work with compared to heavier gauges. There wasn't much choice as lock down was causing supply issues for steel, aluminium and just about everything else ! I also used aluminium rivets on this occasion.

deni 6th December 2021 23:35

Thank you Lucky, your Formosa looked fantastic and raw aluminium interior looked really good in my opinion.
Deni.