Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tribute Automotive Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Mick O'Malley's - Tribute A352 - "D Type" (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6083)

Paul L 10th September 2016 07:43

Mick O'Malley's - Tribute A352 - "D Type"

I really think Mick's great work deserves a thread of its own.

As the car looks amazing fresh from the paint shop. :cool:

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...2&d=1473477650

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...3&d=1473477650

Looking forward to seeing more photos.

Good luck, Paul. :)

PS
Is the guy in the check shirt asking "Is it a Cobra?"

:icon_twisted:

Paul L 10th September 2016 08:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick O'Malley (Post 82703)
I collected my project from the paint shop yesterday. Judge for yourselves if the less than four figure sum was worth it. For my part I think it's absolutely stunning, every penny well spent.

Who'd have thought that the humble A38 could double as the Mulsanne Straight!

Regards, Mick

Forgot to add that the paint job sounds like a bargain too. :cool:

How much of the prep work did you do yourself?

Barber 10th September 2016 08:34

I like the "smile" at the front of the car, you, no doubt are still beaming.

zagmad 10th September 2016 10:30

What blue is that :-).

Mick O'Malley 10th September 2016 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul L
Is the guy in the check shirt asking "Is it a Cobra?"

It's my #3 son asking my preferred route avoiding as many speed bumps as possible.

I did as much prep as I could, blending in the old bonnet and boot, and erasing the mould lines. I gave it an all over sand with 320 on the long board before taking it to the shop, but the guys there did further filling around the fin and a couple of other places before etch, high build and eight coats of colour.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zagmad
What blue is that :-).

It's 'Flag Metallic Blue', the Ecurie Ecosse colour, as worn by their Le Mans winners in '56 and '57.

redratbike 10th September 2016 19:56

I'm liking that ... Top job.

Scottie22 10th September 2016 23:31

Fantastic Mick! You must be well pleased!
Lets have lots of pictures, it looks superb.

Mick O'Malley 11th September 2016 08:08

Thank You!

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I really think Mick's great work deserves a thread of its own.

Thanks for that Paul. I would love to say that I'll be posting updates on a daily basis, although all that's left to do is put everything back on and tidy up the footwells. However, on Thursday I embark with my Honda Dominator on the MV Grande Angola Tilbury-Montevideo and won't be returning from my Patagonian ramblings until June.

With any luck I'll have her completely fettled ready for Classic Silverstone 2017 with my dream destination being Classic Le Mans 2018.

Whilst the A352 was in paint I made a bit of a start on my next project - I had the frame garnet blasted before giving it a coat of red oxide. Looking forward to tackling that one!

Regards, Mick

Paul L 11th September 2016 08:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick O'Malley (Post 82731)
... on Thursday I embark with my Honda Dominator on the MV Grande Angola Tilbury-Montevideo and won't be returning from my Patagonian ramblings until June...

Wow, that is one epic trip, hope you have a great (and safe) time. :cool:

While you are away, I might transfer a few of your 'under construction' photos over from Scottie's build when I get the chance.
( As your dash looked great too. )

Your next project looks very scary to me. :eek:

Mick O'Malley 11th September 2016 09:39

S4 Seven

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Your next project looks very scary to me. :eek:

It looks worse than it is. It was dismantled in '81 and has been in dry storage since. I bought it in '11 just before my last bike adventure, meaning to attack it on return, but then I discovered the A352.................

I'll treat it as a any other kit car, despite its fabulous marque heritage. No powder coating etc. etc. Just clean, refurbish and re-assemble. I've yet to decide on the colour, but I know who'll be spraying it for me :).

Regards, Mick

p.s. Maybe like this?

Mick O'Malley 29th November 2016 08:42

Homesickness!

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Wow, that is one epic trip, hope you have a great (and safe) time. :cool:

I had a serious bout of the above early in my trip - this didn't happen on my first three extended motorcycle tours of Patagonia - must be getting old!

Anyway, I sold the bike to a guy I know over there and flew back, so now I'm playing A352s again. It's almost ready for its second MOT, which may well be this week. I'm undecided where to go as my very sensible ex-REME tester has retired and put his business up for sale :(.

Here are a couple of shots I took whilst bolting all the bits back on.

Regards, Mick

Mick O'Malley 29th November 2016 08:49

Patagonia

1 Attachment(s)
Not strictly relevant, but a taster of what I left behind!

Regards, Mick

froggyman 29th November 2016 12:26

Looks fantastic. Good luck with the MOT. More pics please.

redratbike 29th November 2016 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick O'Malley (Post 84520)
Not strictly relevant, but a taster of what I left behind!

Regards, Mick

A tent and a bike in a field...ha ha

Seriously though are you a member of advrider or any site like that ..I'm in awe of the trips like yours..getting to TT one week a year is all my organising skills can muster ha ha

Mick O'Malley 30th November 2016 07:42

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by redratbike
Are you a member of Advrider or any site like that?

I used to hit UKGSer until about 12 years ago, and Horizons Unlimited until maybe five. They both got way too big IMHO, part of the Ewan and Charlie effect.

Organising a big trip is easy, I don't take much more than for a long weekend. Come to the ATFF for inspiration!

Quote:

Originally Posted by froggyman
More pics please.

I re-fitted the 'lift the dot' studs for the passenger side tonneau cover yesterday and popped it into place. I bought the double duck fabric from the interweb and the edge tape locally. I made templates from brown cardboard and my seamstress friend ran them up. The driver's side one overlaps along the centre line of studs, which are double height. I'll post a picture of both in place tomorrow.

Mick O'Malley 30th November 2016 14:33

Tonneau

1 Attachment(s)
As above :)

Regards, Mick

Paul L 30th November 2016 15:13

Mick - Welcome back. :cool:

Good luck with the MOT, I am sure wherever you go will love the car when it rolls in.

Really looking forward to seeing more photos when all the last details are done.

As I noticed you have fitted a light for the racing number on the tail, :cool:

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...9&d=1480408868

The tonneau cover looks good too.

PS
I once took my wife on the back of my bike for a rally in the UK, which was cold, wet and miserable.

I think she might have enjoyed it more if the view looked like this.

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...1&d=1480409340

Mick O'Malley 30th November 2016 15:24

Quote:

I think she might have enjoyed it more if the view looked like this.

The picture's a little deceptive. 100mph gusts are a feature of that valley - the trees aren't stunted for nothing!

Regards, Mick

redratbike 2nd December 2016 21:53

Thanks for the ATFF link Mick

Mick O'Malley 9th December 2016 17:19

Last Few Bits

2 Attachment(s)
I've now fitted the door windows. They were a bit of a fiddle as there was no room on the inside to pass a bolt outwards. I locktited the dome nuts I used on the windscreen to 40mm M5 machine screws and cut each to length as appropriate before securing them with slimline nuts. I then fabricated two little flip-up guides bolted to the corners of the windscreen to keep everything in line. A nine-point turn was required in the confines of the garden to get the beast facing out. As the perspex covers distort the headlamp beams I decided to leave them off until after the MOT. The grille also has to be left off as the mouth provides access for their back nuts.

Post MOT I need to tidy up the footwells and touch in a few blemishes here and there before using her. Lets hope for plenty of fine weather in '17 :)

Regards, Mick