Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sammio Builds and discussions (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   CJ's Build (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3151)

cbjroms 6th November 2011 17:26

CJ's Build

3 Attachment(s)
Having spent the past few months stripping the donor, selling-off unwanted parts, repairing both my chassis and front bulkhead I am now ready to start the build.

Here are a couple of shots of my bulkhead which is going to be painted tonight.
Attachment 403
Attachment 404

I have had all of my front/rear suspension components powder coated by a company called Trestans in Southampton. Here are just a few examples - I have about 3 boxes full of nice, clean and shiny parts. They look great and would you believe that it cost me only £90 to get it all done!
Attachment 405

I posted a few weeks ago about my repaired chassis when I saw someone on Triumph Torque being told that a chassis which had rot in its main rails should be scrapped. Got some reassuring comments on here from Davecymru & Mister Towed. Also talked to a local TR restorer who said that my repair is 'not pretty but neither does it lack strength". He suggested that I should drill a series of 3/8 along the bottom of the chassis (from rear outrigger back to start of boot outrigger) to let the air through and damp out.

Anyway whilst I was deliberating I came across a Triumph Herald chassis that has never seen the road and the metal work is as new. Secured it at a very fair price and it is now in the garage ready for my next Sammio build. But what is really ironic is that this chassis has had the boot outriggers and front bar ends removed as if it has been waiting for a Sammio body to come along. So when I build my 2nd Sammio I will, presumably, have to weld these extremities back to appease VOSA!

I have already got my frame but now need to get onto Gary and order the rest of the kit.

Chris

Patton 6th November 2011 17:51

Hi, let the good times roll, even when it's not so good getting over the problem is good, have fun, cheers PAT n Skippy.

davecymru 6th November 2011 19:43

Glad i was of some use and i look forward to seeing another (far too shiny!) build :)

garyh 14th November 2011 15:51

CJ, your bulkhead...

were they new floorpans?:ranger:

cbjroms 14th November 2011 17:06

Hi garyh,

I got the floor pans from a bulkhead that someone had started to repir. So they were basicallynew.

Chris

garyh 14th November 2011 18:09

floorpans bought from Canleys

1 Attachment(s)
See pic attached. The ones i bought from Canleys have a constant edge all round, but in my pic it steps up to allow for the mounting bracket? So, does it mean I don't need a mounting bracket? my flooring pan will cover where the opening is that leads up to the hinges.:ranger:

http://garyssammiospyderbuild.blogspot.com/

cbjroms 14th November 2011 19:44

1 Attachment(s)
Hi garyh,

As well as the floor-pans you also need the repair section that forms a step in the corner and has the mounts on the bottom. This then needs to be shoe-horned between the bulkhead and the floor-pans.

Can't remember the technical details but the photo below hopefully makes sense.

Attachment 410

These repair sections are (only?) available from Chic Doig in Scotland who has an Ebay shop and provides excellent service.

Hope this helps.

Chris

davecymru 14th November 2011 21:37

The only bit of rust i found on mine was at that point on the drivers side, i ended up stripping it down with wire wheels and then fabricating repair patches out of 2mm steel sheet which were welded and then tiger-sealed in place. twas very fiddly, so if you're not that confident welding or you can get repair panels then i'd say go for that option!

garyh 14th November 2011 23:08

Thanks, Chris and Dave

I will learn to weld, then i will be confident... hows that. So, anyway where my new floorpans just run straight across with out stepping up could not just extend sides of bulkhead down to meet floorpans and weld a nut/washer on the inside of the pan and don't worry about the mounting points?:flame: as long as the body comes off the same way... and its all covered over in fibreglass.

Mister Towed 15th November 2011 08:29

Mine were completely rusted away on both sides. I did a bit of measuring and head scratching before removing the bulkhead: they're 2" 'U' channel, and I'm planning to fabricate something to do the job.

Thinking Sammio style, ie, completely off the wall, how about a bit of 2"x2" timber cut to length, suitably treated with Cuprinol and bolted in. Anyone tell me why that would'nt work? :spy:

davecymru 15th November 2011 11:02

Given the strains that area is likely to receive and also a willingness to keep the nice ginger gentleman from VOSA happy with a like-for-like repair, I'd suggest possibly using some 50mm x 50mm x 2mm steel box section, simply cut to length and then bolted in place with either one long bolt or two shorter ones?

For a fiver you should be able to get enough to do both sides?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steel-box-...-/110639398816

cbjroms 13th December 2011 11:50

3 Attachment(s)
Just a quick picture update:

Attachment 432
Attachment 433
Attachment 434

So the bulkhead is on and the front/rear suspension will be finished this weekend. I will also be cutting the bulkhead down this weekend.

I am hoping to collect my Spyder body from Gary next week and am leaving the rimming of the plywood floors until I can see how wide they need to be for the body.

Chris

Mister Towed 13th December 2011 15:02

Looking good. Looking very good indeed. :biggrin1:

cbjroms 27th December 2011 17:35

4 Attachment(s)
I collected the body and bonnet from Gary and Mike last Thursday. Had to just put it onto the frame to see what it looks like. Some photos here - very pleased with the look of the twin headrests.

Attachment 449
Attachment 448

Comparing photos on the Sammio website with those of other builders on this forum I was not sure how far the plywood floors should extend outboard of the side rails.

If I have understood Gary correctly, the floor should be in line with the side rails at the back but meet the bulkhead pressing about 1" in at the front. I have added a red line to the following photos of my current floor to show how, I believe, it needs to be trimmed back

Attachment 445
Attachment 446

Am I going in the right direction on this?

Thanks

Chris

mulberry 27th December 2011 17:54

chris looks like you need to be wider on your front edge, take your line from the front edge of your wood. taper back to were you have drawn your rear red line.... hope it make sense.....ah double scoops,,, double the hassle.....only kidding

cbjroms 27th December 2011 18:17

Thanks Mulberry,

I know what you mean and that is what I would have done before I checked with Gary.

But Gary definitely said that I would need to take 1" off the width of the front pressing.

Chris

Mister Towed 27th December 2011 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbjroms (Post 25390)
Thanks Mulberry,

I know what you mean and that is what I would have done before I checked with Gary.

But Gary definitely said that I would need to take 1" off the width of the front pressing.

Chris

Yep, that's my understanding too. I emailed Gary ages ago about this and got the following reply:

The floor is 12mm ply and follows the chassis shape except at the front it starts full width less an inch when lined up against the A pillar area...this tapers back to exact width as rear outriggers...

So, the floor should meet the end of the outrigger at the back but be 1" inboard of the end of the front one, right?

davecymru 27th December 2011 21:10

hummmmm, i'd not heard that one about chopping the front end metalwork before?

i'd got Gary to cut me my original floor pans and i certainly didn't chop any metalwork off the front and mine ended up ok. i admit that it doesn't lip under at the front as it's a bit high due to bulkhead/chassis rail differences (LONG story!), but even if i had the front lower and lipping over, i'm sure i would be fine?

I'll have a look tomorrow and see what the clearances on mine are like as you've got me thinking now! :)

Mister Towed 27th December 2011 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by davecymru (Post 25397)
hummmmm, i'd not heard that one about chopping the front end metalwork before?

i'd got Gary to cut me my original floor pans and i certainly didn't chop any metalwork off the front and mine ended up ok. i admit that it doesn't lip under at the front as it's a bit high due to bulkhead/chassis rail differences (LONG story!), but even if i had the front lower and lipping over, i'm sure i would be fine?

I'll have a look tomorrow and see what the clearances on mine are like as you've got me thinking now! :)

Erm, not planning to cut any metalwork out of the bulkhead to fit the floors (well, apart from the rotten floorpan that needs replacing). My understanding is that you cut the floors to fit 1" inboard of outside the edge of the 'pans and taper them back to match the width of the rear outriggers at the back.

Over to you Gary...

cbjroms 27th December 2011 21:57

Davecymru,

I have seen your comment in your thread 'doesn't lip under at the front' but am not sure that I fully understand what you mean.

Could you just explain so that I can watch-out for this potential problem?

Thanks

Chris