Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tribute Automotive Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Door lock help (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7301)

Hughandjen 31st May 2020 21:12

Door lock help

For some reason the passenger door wont open.
The lock button goes up and down with a clear clunk sound but the door still wont open.
No luck with the inside or outside door handles.
I have tried disconnecting the battery etc with no luck.
Thinking the lock is jammed somehow.
I assume the the actuator must be ok if the button goes up and down on the fob with a clunk.
with thew door being closed how can I get at the lock?
The door card is already off and the outer door skin is loosely attached to the Z3 door with 4 bolts that cant get to with it shut ahhhh
Any ideas guys
Help

Mitchelkitman 31st May 2020 22:18

Might sound daft, but I had similar with an auto-lock door once (not BMW) and found that pushing the door shut then allowed it to unlock - it was 'stuck' in the 'locked at first position' mode rather than being on the 2nd latch (if that makes sense)

Hughandjen 31st May 2020 22:40

Thanks that’s great I’ll check that in the morning

Lucky@LeMans 1st June 2020 00:00

Had the exact same problem on my car with the door skin added. Turned out to be the Mini door handle plunger was pressing very slightly against the Z3 mechanism. You'll need to reach inside the door with a flat screw driver and push the plunger outwards to relieve the pressure. You should hear it click and the door will open. Once you've opened it you'll need to trim the plunger to give a couple mm clearance. It is something to do with the central locking and it thinking the car is being broken into !

A pain in the arse and took me ages to suss it out. Jaguartvr pointed me in the right direction , he had the same thing too !

Hughandjen 1st June 2020 07:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans (Post 104351)
Had the exact same problem on my car with the door skin added. Turned out to be the Mini door handle plunger was pressing very slightly against the Z3 mechanism. You'll need to reach inside the door with a flat screw driver and push the plunger outwards to relieve the pressure. You should hear it click and the door will open. Once you've opened it you'll need to trim the plunger to give a couple mm clearance. It is something to do with the central locking and it thinking the car is being broken into !

A pain in the arse and took me ages to suss it out. Jaguartvr pointed me in the right direction , he had the same thing too !

Thanks
Will have a go this afternoon

casamolino 1st June 2020 09:15

Good morning please excuse if you have already tried the following (which worked for me) spray everything that moves with WD40 , including inside the door jam , good luck Geoff .

Hughandjen 1st June 2020 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by casamolino (Post 104358)
Good morning please excuse if you have already tried the following (which worked for me) spray everything that moves with WD40 , including inside the door jam , good luck Geoff .

Thanks Geoff
I’ve tried that but it didn’t work

Hughandjen 1st June 2020 17:24

Bloody brilliant that’s sorted it. My mini handle was pushing the metal plate
Thank heaven for these forums
������

Lucky@LeMans 1st June 2020 19:56

Well done !

When I had this problem the local auto lock expert wanted to attack the internal mechanism with a lump hammer and a cold chisel, no joke !

Hughandjen 1st June 2020 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans (Post 104364)
Well done !

When I had this problem the local auto lock expert wanted to attack the internal mechanism with a lump hammer and a cold chisel, no joke !

Wow