Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tribute Automotive Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Lumpys Kobra Build project. (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5022)

LiteGrz 6th November 2014 21:00

Hard Top ?

Lumpy - Which hardtop are you using?

Your build looks great!

LG

lumpy 6th November 2014 21:09

Just the standard BMW one.

Cheers for the complements.

lumpy 24th October 2015 09:26

Update

4 Attachment(s)
Hello All,

I thought I would provide an update as I see some half prepped cars going cheap on ebay.

I have fully committed to this project as I no longer have any storage space. The car is used daily, has no rattles or bumps and now has as much, if not more than a Z3M.

Enjoy.

redratbike 24th October 2015 12:16

Supercharger?....nice

DaveP 28th March 2016 16:10

How is living with the Kobra?

Hi there,

In the spirit of Grand Designs revisited how has it been living with the Kobra over the winter?

Would be great to get an update if possible

Dave

lumpy 28th March 2016 19:48

Hi Dave,

I drive my car daily and have a hard top, so the winter has been nothing more than the usual Z3 dribble from the side window.
With a decent base car, its just like a Z3 but so much prettier.

The kit has very few issues, no nocks or squeak's.

The only negative issues with the whole process is some of the chrome has started to pit a little. This will be a summer polishing exercise.

I have had the kit side by side with other cobra's and all kits are slightly different there is no "real" cobra other than a Shelby/AC. If I had to do it all again, I think I would either get it painted in Plasti Dip or not spend out on paint until everything had settled.

I cannot fault the design in any way.

Regards,

Lumpy.

DaveP 28th March 2016 20:41

Lumpy
Thanks very much for the speedy response. Glad to hear you are still enjoying the car - especially considering it is a daily driver.

This is where the tribute models come into their own I assume. Not forcing us to use them at weekends

Happy polishing in the summer

Dave

ericholm 28th March 2016 21:32

Hi Lumpy,

I have been reading your thread with interest......

A couple of questions:
  • Is the supercharger worth it? What was price and implication on insurance?
  • You mention either waiting to paint or plastic dip if you did it again due to settling, what has to settle?
Thanks in advance.

lumpy 29th March 2016 16:21

Hi Ericholm,

If you have the funds, the supercharger is awesome.
I have had to completely re-learn how to drive it.

Taking into consideration that a Z3M goes for around 10-12k, I have more power and torque. I paid £2500 for an all be it tatty Z3, but it had only done 49k miles.
The cost of the conversion was roughly £5500 from Regal Autosport in Southampton.

As for letting the fiberglass settle, I now have a few bits that could do with a little tinkering. the weight of the fiberglass, plus driving at speed, I guess have moved things slightly.
Also over the winter, the fiberglassed parts on one side, where the old mirror used to be are showing slightly. All small things that only I would notice, but will eventually need a respray.

The cost of the insurance was no different as it is classed as a kit car, and therefore unique.

I hope this information is of some help.

Regards,

Lumpy.

ericholm 29th March 2016 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumpy (Post 76732)
Hi Ericholm,

If you have the funds, the supercharger is awesome.
I have had to completely re-learn how to drive it.

Taking into consideration that a Z3M goes for around 10-12k, I have more power and torque. I paid £2500 for an all be it tatty Z3, but it had only done 49k miles.
The cost of the conversion was roughly £5500 from Regal Autosport in Southampton.

As for letting the fiberglass settle, I now have a few bits that could do with a little tinkering. the weight of the fiberglass, plus driving at speed, I guess have moved things slightly.
Also over the winter, the fiberglassed parts on one side, where the old mirror used to be are showing slightly. All small things that only I would notice, but will eventually need a respray.

The cost of the insurance was no different as it is classed as a kit car, and therefore unique.

I hope this information is of some help.

Regards,

Lumpy.

Thanks Lumpy!

£5.5k wow that is some investment, you must have really been sold on that.

Great news on the insurance front too.

Yes very helpful :dance:

DaveP 22nd November 2017 20:56

Hi Lumpy,

You still on here from time to time ? How's the supercharged Kobra going these days ?

Dave

lumpy 28th November 2017 16:16

Sorry, not been on for a while. The supercharger is awsome. It gives the car the power to match its looks.
No complaints at all. What I will say is getting Regal Autosport to answer an email is another issue. I quite fancied a pulley change when I get the supercharger oil changed.

Money well spent.

DaveP 29th November 2017 07:02

Thanks Lumpy,

Good to see that the ownership continues too. I will have to keep a keen eye out for your copper monster as I'm not that far away.

..... did I just say copper monster ? ....

lumpy 29th August 2019 20:51

Debating on selling.

It still makes me smile every time I drive it.

But I keep looking at new toys....

It still gets more looks than a Ferrari.

But I am debating a change.

A full set of drilled and grooves disks and pads front and rear only cost me £145

Yet I would probably buy something that costs more to run.

Nearly all the cars I like the look of are slower!

But I think I need a change.

Anyone else have the same issues?

Jaguartvr 29th August 2019 21:02

You could always fit a 250swbc kit to it. Same but different, just need to find somewhere to store the cobra panels, shouldn't be to hard to hang them from the garage ceiling. Shame to waste such a good donor with the engine mods.

lumpy 20th February 2020 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumpy (Post 101921)
It still makes me smile every time I drive it.

But I keep looking at new toys....

It still gets more looks than a Ferrari.

But I am debating a change.

A full set of drilled and grooves disks and pads front and rear only cost me £145

Yet I would probably buy something that costs more to run.

Nearly all the cars I like the look of are slower!

But I think I need a change.

Anyone else have the same issues?

Here goes:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53...g&toolid=11111

Priced for someone who can’t be arsed to do the work themselves.

Hughandjen 20th February 2020 20:05

That’s very nice

DaveP 20th February 2020 20:37

Wow. Good luck with the sale Lumpy :) that will be a record price too. Mind you it’s the only supercharged one I know of.

Hope you get what you need for it. I really liked that build. In fact it showed the seed of banded steels with spinners in my mind. I didn’t get the same wheels but close in concept.

You still have the motorbike-trike (can’t recall exactly) in the same colour ?

Dave

lumpy 21st February 2020 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveP (Post 103546)
Wow. Good luck with the sale Lumpy :) that will be a record price too. Mind you it’s the only supercharged one I know of.

Hope you get what you need for it. I really liked that build. In fact it showed the seed of banded steels with spinners in my mind. I didn’t get the same wheels but close in concept.

You still have the motorbike-trike (can’t recall exactly) in the same colour ?

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Big price, but quite a bit less than I have spent and it’s been done right. Only thing left it could possibly need is an under seal. Not sure how to approach it with the fibreglass though.

Trike has been sold, it really needed a garage for winter storage.

There is a Z3M roadster up at the moment for 19k, that would have been the ultimate starting point.........

Mechanically I would much rather have what I have built than one of the jag based kits.

Bellicose 21st February 2020 15:08

Wow that's a serious price tag there!

Best of luck with the sale.