Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tribute Automotive Builds (http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Ace's 250 SWB Build (http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6902)

Barber 11th May 2019 06:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace (Post 100359)
Thanks Jeff,

I am going to make a mold of how I want the rear window to look and then heat bend lexan to shape.. I plan on posting a separate how-to on the forum in case anyone wants to follow suit. I have done something similar for a boat window but its the same application.

Cheers

Brilliant, I am sure the knowledge will get re-used.

NeilF355 11th May 2019 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace (Post 100359)

I am going to make a mold of how I want the rear window to look and then heat bend lexan to shape.


Cheers

I know someone who did the same, it was fine until he took it to a car show on a really hot day and the Lexan window sagged in the middle. In the end he replaced it with an Acrylic Perspex one (perspex having a higher melting point than Lexan)
I have an Acrylic Perspex rear window in my 250 GTO and have not had any heat related problems.
The downside of Perspex is that it scratches a lot easier than Lexan.

Neil

GaryR 26th June 2019 16:48

Hi Ace,

Great looking build! I'm following with interest!

Having had a good look at options today on my own SWB build I wondered whether you could please share your thoughts on fuel pipe connection between filler and tank please?
I'm looking at the same position for the filler on mine and wondered if you've come up with a good routing plan?

Many thanks in advance!

Ace 27th June 2019 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryR (Post 101091)
Hi Ace,

Great looking build! I'm following with interest!

Having had a good look at options today on my own SWB build I wondered whether you could please share your thoughts on fuel pipe connection between filler and tank please?
I'm looking at the same position for the filler on mine and wondered if you've come up with a good routing plan?

Many thanks in advance!

Hey Gary, I appreciate it! Its slow but steady progress.

I can take some pictures showing what I have done, but I found a good route where the filler line is level and does not have any petrol sitting in the line after fill up.

You run a 90 degree bend out of the tank connection and connect that up to a flexible fuel filler hose. I ran that over the arch of the wheel and then put another 90 degree bend that runs into the boot area. Then you have to run a solid 37" piece of 2" pipe across the top of the boot area where you can 90 into the fuel filler cap. That probably doesn't make sense, but I will take some pictures this evening and share them to give you an idea.

Cheers and good luck on the build

GaryR 27th June 2019 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace (Post 101095)
Hey Gary, I appreciate it! Its slow but steady progress.

I can take some pictures showing what I have done, but I found a good route where the filler line is level and does not have any petrol sitting in the line after fill up.

You run a 90 degree bend out of the tank connection and connect that up to a flexible fuel filler hose. I ran that over the arch of the wheel and then put another 90 degree bend that runs into the boot area. Then you have to run a solid 37" piece of 2" pipe across the top of the boot area where you can 90 into the fuel filler cap. That probably doesn't make sense, but I will take some pictures this evening and share them to give you an idea.

Cheers and good luck on the build

OK, interesting and many thanks! I think I understand you (although pics would be most useful too please if you'd be kind enough when you have a mo!).

So another question; Since making these connections have you tried filling the tank up by any chance or is the project still mid-build?

I'm concerned that the fall to the tank won't be enough and as a result at each fuel fill-up the fuel will back up, causing the fuel-pump to cut out mid-fill. Something I'd like to avoid ultimately! :fear:

Many thanks again!

Ace 27th June 2019 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryR (Post 101097)
OK, interesting and many thanks! I think I understand you (although pics would be most useful too please if you'd be kind enough when you have a mo!).

So another question; Since making these connections have you tried filling the tank up by any chance or is the project still mid-build?

I'm concerned that the fall to the tank won't be enough and as a result at each fuel fill-up the fuel will back up, causing the fuel-pump to cut out mid-fill. Something I'd like to avoid ultimately! :fear:

Many thanks again!


I had the same concern so I have put 5 gallons of petrol through the filler as a test (and also to test for leaks prior to bonding on the rear body of the car) with no issues at full flow.

GaryR 27th June 2019 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace (Post 101098)
I had the same concern so I have put 5 gallons of petrol through the filler as a test (and also to test for leaks prior to bonding on the rear body of the car) with no issues at full flow.

Great - similar thinking obviously! If you are able to post a pic or two when you have a mo it would be really appreciated!

Many thanks and I look forward to other updates on your build too!

Ace 27th June 2019 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryR (Post 101101)
Great - similar thinking obviously! If you are able to post a pic or two when you have a mo it would be really appreciated!

Many thanks and I look forward to other updates on your build too!

Here you go. Good luck!

https://i.ibb.co/NxVxxWC/IMG-1383.jpg

Take note of where I have cut out a notch in the body to make sure the pipe can lay as flat as possible.

https://i.ibb.co/jf69rrH/IMG-1384.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/SKgzK6W/IMG-1385.jpg

Plenty of clearance with the body as it comes up to the 90.

GaryR 28th June 2019 05:07

Great, thank you, thatís most helpful indeed!


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 15:12.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright Madabout Kitcars 2014