Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tribute Automotive Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Selling a 'dateless' plate (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7011)

WorldClassAccident 2nd March 2019 18:42

Selling a 'dateless' plate

If I buy car with a dateless plate and then sell the plate, what number plate does my car end up with?

The reason I ask is I have the option on a 1953 car which should be 'relatively' easy to get one the road. The plan is to buy the car and get it on the road just to release the plate but what will I end up with?

PS Anyone interested in a dateless plate for their car*?

*Jeff gets first dibs through prior contact

froggyman 2nd March 2019 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident (Post 99409)
If I buy car with a dateless plate and then sell the plate, what number plate does my car end up with?

The reason I ask is I have the option on a 1953 car which should be 'relatively' easy to get one the road. The plan is to buy the car and get it on the road just to release the plate but what will I end up with?

A dateless non transferable replacement is what I received.

WorldClassAccident 3rd March 2019 08:06

Makes sense. Thanks

IanA 3rd March 2019 12:12

Standard wording is for "an age-related number" so a dateless non transferable replacement makes sense otherwise you could just keep selling them on.

Is the 1953 car eligible for the Mille Miglia? I know the pre-1957 date makes it a contender but is it on their list?

https://1000miglia.it/wp-content/upl...22102018-1.pdf

WorldClassAccident 3rd March 2019 18:27

Yes. :-)

And I fully intend to exploit that fact!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IanA 3rd March 2019 19:00

If you need a chase-car driver...

IanA 3rd March 2019 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff H (Post 99441)
If Nick is building it he probably needs a breakdown driver.

I can do that as well.
I have Whitworth and AF spanners and sockets.

landmannnn 4th March 2019 14:04

With the availability of the dateless NI plates for £50, dateless plates don't tend to fetch much money, so it may not be worth bothering with after the transfer fee is paid.

WorldClassAccident 4th March 2019 16:39

I guess it depends on the letter I get. There still seem to be plenty going for £2-3,000 which pays for a fair bit of rust removal. I am not expecting £10K+ although I wouldn't turn it down.

Lucky@LeMans 4th March 2019 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident (Post 99409)

As it is mot and tax exempt why does it need to be "on the road" to release the plate? I would have thought it was just a paper work exercise.

Jaguartvr 4th March 2019 19:27

They can take years to sell and unless it means something to someone probably won't sell for much. Don't believe the advertised prices.

WorldClassAccident 4th March 2019 20:48

I know about 'value', 'price' and 'what it sold for'.

Most of this is man maths to get it past the wife.

I will post up an honest restore blog somewhere and link this site in IF I do buy it.

Lucky@LeMans 4th March 2019 21:42

It all depends, some plates have an obvious desirability from the beginning. Other private plates you see are really ambiguous and only appeal to the owner ie if its their initials.

WorldClassAccident 5th March 2019 07:17

I have heard of some people who take modern cars and make them look like old cars. I bet they would like proper dateless plats rather than NI plates.

Now where could I find people like that...

Jaguartvr 5th March 2019 07:21

I fitted a 1964 "B" reg plate to my 250, it really throws people. I thought it was more appropriate than a dateless registration plate.
£60 + transfer fee from eBay.

WorldClassAccident 5th March 2019 07:35

I run MIG3240 on mine. £49 NI plate but people don't seem to notice as much as the ones with Z or J in. I guess that M I and G look like normal number plate letters.

I think the true connoisseur would want a proper dateless plate for their Tribute though rather than saving a few hundred quid withg a naff NI plate...

Mick O'Malley 5th March 2019 17:36

I bought my MDO121 (my three initials) in 1972 on a Morris Minor for £35, about a fortnight's take home at the time. Strangely, MDO1 was in the back of the same Sunday Times, the go-to publication for cherished marks at the time. At £400 on a Mercedes it was way out of reach. I first transferred it (£5 then) to a Mini, where it replaced ADU88B. Being ignorant regarding Le Mans Spitfires, I think I caught a cold there! It next went onto my Spitfire in '75 where it's remained in its A352 guise.

When I rode a BMW GS1100 in the early noughties, GS1 came up for auction, generating much speculation on our web-site. It fetched £220,000.

Regards, Mick

Mitchelkitman 6th March 2019 08:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaguartvr (Post 99464)
They can take years to sell and unless it means something to someone probably won't sell for much. Don't believe the advertised prices.

Indeed - I wouldn't place much value on a plate...... If it's worth a lot the current user will take it with them to their next. I had a Rickman Ranger a few years ago with number A (can't remember) EFC and the seller tried to use it as a selling point. During the 5 years I had the car the number was advertised with an agent and didn't get a single sniff. EFC + Everton Football Club (apparently):badgrin: