Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Italian Replica builds and chat (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Is that a DNA kit oh dear (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7295)

Munky 28th May 2020 02:09

Wonder if he would be willing to just sell parts?
A dash would be a great starting place for many a z3 based project.
Still tough to see someone else making money from Brian’s hard work.

andysharrock 28th May 2020 09:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchelkitman (Post 104307)
Wonder if I should buy one and take a mould off it? Bet he'd be upset :heh:

How does the fuel get into it? :bounce:

says in the boot on the listing as that is how it is on the OG car. in the uk now would this pass a mot doesn't the tank need to vent to the outside not in the boot

Mitchelkitman 28th May 2020 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by andysharrock (Post 104312)
says in the boot on the listing as that is how it is on the OG car. in the uk now would this pass a mot doesn't the tank need to vent to the outside not in the boot

OOER - I hadn't noticed that, naughty indeed and not recommended for obvious reasons. I won't be buying one anyway (sorry is this comment upsets anyone) because IMHO it just looks like an MGB gone wrong. Have to say the quality of the DNA mouldings looked excellent, though these cars may or may not be.
Dislike the moulding off another's product (if that's what's happened) although some could say the copying in the first place is wrong. Murky waters indeed.
IMHO copying an F of this vintage wasn't as serious as copying the more recent (and in some cases in production?) product, the latter which it would seem didn't raise a concern.
***Mods - delete some of this if you deem it necessary.

Car photographer 1st June 2020 12:48

Hmm, I'm confused - I may be wrong but I thought after 50 years that any copyrighted designs became released into public domain?

if this was the case how can the 'big F' stop people from copying their older cars in the first place?

Mister Towed 1st June 2020 13:44

It's all very complicated, even with a background in (criminal) law I can't really fathom it -

https://www.gov.uk/browse/business/i...ctual-property

To me it looks like literary and artistic copyright lasts for 70 years after the death of the creator, but that doesn't really cover car designs.

That's more likely to come under 'Design Right' so expires a maximum of 15 years after the design was created, meaning most of the cars we're replicating are comfortably outside that time limit.

I think that the issue the big players have, like Bentley, Mercedes and Fennari, is infringement of their trademark, especially when applied to an inferior product.

Just to buck the trend, I understand from the Chesil website that Porsche actually steer potential customers who enquire about used 356's to their door, so they at least are happy to see thousands of beetle-based Speedsters representing their brand. Not too sure how they'd be about the badges, though.

Mine's going to wear Wendler Reutlingen Coach Builder badges as they're no longer trading, but I also have a couple of gold plated 'P_____e' scripts that might make an appearance...

Paul L 1st June 2020 20:58

It is a bit of a long story and based on American law, but this is a great insight into this sort of thing.

Key points seemed to be you have to defend the trade mark and some parts of a car are technical and not covered (e.g. flared wheel arches).

https://www.facebook.com/factoryfive...164897704/?t=1

andysharrock 1st June 2020 21:44

worth a watch that video it would make a good film .cheers paul

smash 1st June 2020 23:36

It's always been misuse of trade dress I.e. badging as far as I'm aware. Some names also copyright of F. I found a website once which shows all copyrights held. Jumping of F as starting point was like going down rabbit hole. Current and recent body shapes were on there as well. And the name Scaglietti. No vintage cars however. They have loads of copyrights.

Nubodi - used trade dress in commercial adverts (and biggest wing shields known to man) - jumped on. DNA - used trade dress in commercial adverts and prominently displayed at classic car shows - jumped on. GB used trade dress - jumped on (alledged).

Mirage GT - far more accurate SWB evocation than Tribute - never strayed into trade dress infringement - trading happily.

Have to remember you're dabbling in blue chip investment territory which is probably why, I'm surmising, activity is focused here rather than the MR2 based modern style offerings. It's like the family silver... which is why I had my car debadged pronto after buying.

Mick O'Malley 2nd June 2020 07:15

How dare you...

Caterham invoked this when 'their' design was plagiarised.

It's a jungle.

Regards, Mick

Car photographer 4th June 2020 10:42

Hmm, interesting

Lucky@LeMans 4th June 2020 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick O'Malley (Post 104369)
Caterham invoked this when 'their' design was plagiarised.

It's a jungle.

Regards, Mick

The 7's that emerged after were all similar but very slightly different. Must have been different enough in the eyes of the rule makers to be deemed ok.
Not sure what happened with the Cobra replica scene as I think Shelby tried the same thing but failed.

Paul L 4th June 2020 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans (Post 104387)
Not sure what happened with the Cobra replica scene as I think Shelby tried the same thing but failed.

See my Post #26 above, the video is all about that.

Cheers, Paul. :)

Munky 11th July 2020 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul L (Post 104366)
It is a bit of a long story and based on American law, but this is a great insight into this sort of thing.

Key points seemed to be you have to defend the trade mark and some parts of a car are technical and not covered (e.g. flared wheel arches).

https://www.facebook.com/factoryfive...164897704/?t=1

That was really interesting. Especially the Crossley part with the Co-bra name.
Thanks for posting.

Mitchelkitman 11th July 2020 18:18

I saw (on MSN news if we can believe it) that Ferrari have lost a case for retaining their rights to the 250 GTO 'shape' as they haven't produced a vehicle - It seems they can produce scale models, as they have been actively selling them! All still looks a bit questionable IMHO.