Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Paint costs (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5385)

Bobnic 20th April 2015 22:12

Paint costs

Having enjoyed over 2.5 thousand miles in 'Marlene' it was decided she needed some paint. Went to Le Mans last year, first drive in excess of 2 hours , and she performed impeccably! 😎 Me and a few mates are of to Goodwood FOS this year, but she'll have to go 'naked' Got 2 quotes from 2 local bodywork 'friends of friends' for the paint job. Quotes range from £2.5 - £4.5K!! 😱 I'm sure there was a thread last year or so that seemed to put the cost at around £1.5k plus vat? Seems an awful lot to pay around 3 grand including vat plus for the paint job. I think that so far I have been given the kind of quote that is almost designed to put me off using them, as it's not just a 'standard' paint job. One guy has eluded to doing it for £1.5K IF we do all the prep ourselves. I fear I don't have the skills to prep it well enough to do the car justice. Anybody have any one they would recommend or even a guide price I should be expecting to pay please? I am based in Gloucestershire, and don't really fancy the idea of stripping the whole car of panels and sending them off, and the re-assembling the car with oainted panels, I just know with my luck I would scratch them all! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Rob

jones 20th April 2015 23:07

Hi Rob depends on how far 6ou will go but not really that far is a father and son business that have turned out some amazing results and do projects for all sort of budgets called The Paint Shop Pros they have a Facebook page or you can get them on 07429 725 093. If they can't help they might know who can.

All the best, Ian

Bobnic 20th April 2015 23:53

Thanks Ian. I've just sent them an enquiry via their website. Spookily enough they are based only a few miles from where my Dad USED to live! He's since moved to Herefordshire, but they're only about 45 miles from me, so a good excuse for an A road blast!

Much appreciated, thanks again.

Rob

Mike 21st April 2015 00:11

Paint

HI Rob

Simon Gregory used Normandale Daventry for his Cabrio. they did it for £1500 - and Simon's car won Best in Show at Stoneleigh , and recently sold with an asking price at over £10k - so it was a good paint job! They do work for F1 teams, yet still offer a all in price of £1500. Ask for the boss if you call. He is very direct, but knows his paint.

I know Simon dismantled almost all of his car to get his painted- he just left the tub on, and took the chassis with it still fitted to get it painted.

Is Daventry too far?

Mike

Bobnic 21st April 2015 00:21

Hi Mike, Thanks. £1.5k seems much more civilised! Daventry's not too far, about 60 miles, so could well be a possibility. I will try and give them a ring this week, see what 'The Boss' says.

Thanks again

Rob

MartinClan 21st April 2015 08:34

Painting seems to vary tremendously in quality and price. I paid 2k a few years ago now. It was done my a local bodyshop with a good reputation but it isn't great (certainly not concours). To use a well known expression "they saw me coming..." I think it probably helps if you show you have a bit of knowledge on the subject (which I didn't).

Cheers, Robin

Bobnic 21st April 2015 08:54

I totally agree Robin. The two quotes I have got are from a work colleague's husband and a good mates 'go to guy' for painting his collection of old Dagenham 80/90's metal. I just think they would find it a bit too fiddly compared to a good old slab of car to spray in one go. Hoping that I can find an enthusiastic painte, who feels the way we do about cars of 'difference'. I have very limited knowledge of painting, hoping not to be ripped off, but fear I would be with the two quotes I've had so far!

Thanks for Al, your pearls guys.

Rob

jones 21st April 2015 10:25

Rob when you get your quotes if you don't mind everyone putting in their ten cents worth you could post the particulars and ask the forum member :
  • has anyone used them before and thus the quality of product
  • to give you feedback on price vs. work quoted to be done
For example one way to get the cost down would to complete primary stage prep basically get it as good as you can and let them complete prep. Get them to spray it and take the car home with an 'out of the gun' finish so you can complete the final cut and polish (the labour intensive bit that could be completed over a couple of weekends depending on the finish you are striving for.

(I have used Gavin and his Dad at Paint Shop Pros a couple of times - his dad used to work for Rolls or Bentley I forget which but Gav sprays the cars most of the time I think and his out of the gun finish is highly impressive - almost no need to cut and polish!)

GreatOldOne 21st April 2015 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike (Post 65995)
HI Rob

Simon Gregory used Normandale Daventry for his Cabrio. they did it for £1500

*snip*

I know Simon dismantled almost all of his car to get his painted- he just left the tub on, and took the chassis with it still fitted to get it painted.

They did Vikki as well. For the same price.

I completely dismantled her bodywork and took it up there. Whilst I was there they where repainting a Williams F1 car, and an old Porsche Le Mans car... :)

Bobnic 21st April 2015 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatOldOne (Post 66008)
They did Vikki as well. For the same price.

I completely dismantled her bodywork and took it up there. Whilst I was there they where repainting a Williams F1 car, and an old Porsche Le Mans car... :)

I will contact them, sound like a real enthusiast's lot! If I can get 'Marlene' to rival Vicky's paint job, I will be a happy man Goo! 👍

Thanks for all your wisdom again fellas.

Rob

Bobnic 28th April 2015 21:24

Have found another local guy. Another mate of a mate, but his work is more top end classic restoration,paint work. He's happy to do the paint job for £1500 if we fill holes/cracks, and first sand the fibreglass panels with 220+ grit paper, ready for priming then wet flatting and painting by him. So I think we'll use him. He's is only 20 miles away, and can fit us in at our leisure (winter this year), and the work I've seen o f his is proper lush! Will keep you posted. Ecurie Ecosse Metallic flag blue paint btw. (I am Scottish, so it's allowed!)