View Single Post
Old 16th December 2008, 10:35
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

More questions...

1) Should the feed to the ignition switch (The large red cable, Terminal 30?) be connected through the fuesable link? I don't think it does, as it's not shown going through a fuse before the switch on the diagrams. I'm assuming it just needs to be connected to the cut-off switch.

2) I've been looking at the wiring diagrams for the ignition switch, and I've come to the conclusion that I have a franken-car. All the diagrams I've seen (Bently, Haynes & downloaded BMW from E30 Zone) mention the 4 main connections on the switch - Red from battery to the switch (30), Black to starter (50) and the two green cables which are on terminals R & B (one of which goes to the coil - where does the other go to?)

The thing is I have four more cables on the switch - from terminals PR1, PR2, PL1 & PL2. I haven't found out what these are for yet... They're small cross section, so they're not taking a lot of load... The only thing I've come up with is they're something to do with the on-board computer my donor had.

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that I can't read wiring diagrams!