Thread: Tail Lights
View Single Post
Old 26th February 2009, 09:01
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
I am sticking with E marked lights. It would be a pain to fail the SVA (BIVA) just for that. Especially if they implement the rumored 80% x £540 re-test fee!

If you want something special then use cheapo E marked lights for the test and then swap them after. All IMHO of course...

Robin
Yup, that's what I did! (and the same for the reflectors, i used cheap stick on ones for the test) Ask Stafford if they would refund the cost of the BIVA test if you fail?
I agree the spec says that they have to be 'e' marked or equivalent but for a 'layman' to try and convince an inspector on the day with no test equipment could be very difficult.
Having the little 'e' marks just takes any doubt or debate away.

The trick to getting passed is to remove as much doubt in his mind as possible and make it easy for the guy to satisfy himself that you have met the requirements. I had little bits of rubber trim stuck all over the place so that wherever he looked he could see it was covered.
Even the ends of my bonnet hinge had little plastic protectors which seem to have fallen off now??