View Single Post
Old 12th June 2010, 11:08
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelB View Post
Hello to all.

Probably don't qualify as a builder yet but that's about to change.

I built a Marlin Roadster back in the late 80's before the days of SVA and IVA and fuel injection and engine management systems and internet and build threads and forums. All I needed was a minimal instruction set, a quick MOT and a meeting with the local vehicle registration office (who came to me!!) and I was on the road. It was all Marina based - lovely long legged B series engine meant it barely needed a gearbox but it didn't have much of a top end. I kept it for about five years and then other priorities and lack of space meant it had to go.

Now seriously contemplating a repeat excercise with a Sportster. But looking at all your build sites and reading the forums it looks like a much more complex endeavour that it was 25 years ago. But I seem to recall most of the fun was in overcoming the challenges so I'm not put off yet. Faint heart never......... etc.

I would really like to make contact with some of you to see and talk about the fruits of your labours. I live in Reading so I'm not too far from anywhere. As you can imagine, ('cus you've all been there) I've got loads of qestions at this stage that which could easily be answered over a chat rather than fill up a forum so it would be good to meet. I see I'm too late for Stonliegh this year.

One question to start though at this planning stage:- E30 or E36. I see earlier in this thread that the E30 wins the popularity stakes but there's some question over the E36 ECU reliability.

I'm looking forward to being part of this forum and once I've worked out how to do it I'll post some pictures of the old Roadster on flickr.

Nigel
Hi Nigel,
welcome to the forum. The building of a Sporster can be quite challenging and you will need to plan to spend quite a few hours or plan to do it over a number of years but the result is a superb car to own and drive!

I'm only up the road (M4) from you at Uxbridge, so when your fit I'll be happy to show you my car.

I think when most of us started building on this forum, the e36 was too expensive as a donor, but I believe that is changed.
The newer the car and engine the more challenges you will face with emmissions at the IVA but it depends on what you are trying to achieve. Some have buit e36/M50 based cars successfully but i would avoid the e46/M52 or M54 engines as the immobiliser electronics is a nightmare, as Tim will tell you!

In the meantime, ask away with your questions, as i'm sure one of us will have come across the issue, whatever it is!

...peter