View Single Post
Old 12th June 2010, 11:39

NigelB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
Hi Nigel,
welcome to the forum. The building of a Sporster can be quite challenging and you will need to plan to spend quite a few hours or plan to do it over a number of years but the result is a superb car to own and drive!

I'm only up the road (M4) from you at Uxbridge, so when your fit I'll be happy to show you my car.

I think when most of us started building on this forum, the e36 was too expensive as a donor, but I believe that is changed.
The newer the car and engine the more challenges you will face with emmissions at the IVA but it depends on what you are trying to achieve. Some have buit e36/M50 based cars successfully but i would avoid the e46/M52 or M54 engines as the immobiliser electronics is a nightmare, as Tim will tell you!

In the meantime, ask away with your questions, as i'm sure one of us will have come across the issue, whatever it is!

...peter
Hi Peter,

Your not very far away at all so thanks for your kind offer and I'll certainly be along to see you.

I was reckoning on a much longer build than my roadster. That took me less than a year so I was thinking of at least doubling that for a Sportster. I was looking at Jasons 4 year build, but then realised that at least a year of that must have been devoted to his fantastic build site...............!!

Thanks for your thought on the E30 / E36 choice. Is it specifically the M52 engine immobiliser wiring that is the problem or is it the E46/M52 combination. I am guessing from Tim's comments that it's the M52 engine and that I should opt for an M50 to save the heartache

Nigel