View Single Post
Old 15th June 2010, 21:58
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
E36 front struts would certainly be better from the wing stay point of view. But the E36 used 5 bolt wheels so, unless you wanted different wheels front and back you would have to find some 4 to 5 stud adapters for the back. Not so major a problem as it might seem as they do exist and, anyway, the back needs spacers with most wheels.

I don't suppose that the DVLA would even notice the fact that the front was E36 and the rear E30.

Robin
...and now i'm wondering if an e30 hub and bearing would fit in an e36 strut? If it does, you could keep all the wheels the same? On the e30, if you by a new front wheel bearing you get the whole bearing and hub so sourcing the bits is easy.
I think if I was starting now, i'd look for a pre 1995 e36 (with m50 engine) as a donor car and I expect that is what Mark would recommend now?
I think e30's are getting too old now to find a good selection of donors to choose from. My M20 is pretty knackered which is why I went for an M54 engine (but that's another story which I wouldn't recommend). Apart from the fiendish electronics I think the whole M54 engine and ancillaries is far too complex and expensive to look after in a kit car.

...peter