View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:23

PaulC is on a distinguished road

Hi Aaron. You'll see my comments in your survey but I thought I'd repeat one or two here and perhaps expand on them to provoke conversation.

You'd need to consider how the car/company is perceived in terms of trust. In the past there have been too many here today, gone tomorrow cowboys promising everything and delivering little before disappearing leaving more than a few people with part-built cars and no way of getting the components they need. Banham to name but one.

Which brings me to my second point, quality of components. Some companies were known for the (lack of) quality of components (see above) and piss-poor after market support and I say this as the ex-owner of a Banham.

Donors. Think long and hard about which donors you choose. It's blindingly obvious and I'm sure you already know but selecting a donor of which there are many ageing (ie, cheap) examples around now is fine but in a few years they won't be. Plan with their obsolescence in mind, review the compatible components on a rolling basis to ensure continued availability. You need only to look at some of the projects for sale to see cars needing parts from vehicles built in the 1980's and in all likelihood those donors are either as rare as hen's teeth now or classics in their own right which kind of negates the concept of building a cheap car.

Just my thoughts. Good luck.