View Single Post
Old 20th November 2011, 17:13
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Well, I've done it - I've made up a stainless rod and some brackets to hold it to the windscreen.

I had to start from scratch again on the brackets - my carefully engineered ones I made on the mill at college where complete bobbins. Yes, very accurate, let down by piss poor drilling of the rod holes at the end of a session...

Anyway - I did all of this this afternoon with nothing put a pillar drill, a hack saw and my trusty wet & dry and polishing kit. I'm quite pleased how it's turned out.

The brackets are 12mm square section aluminium bar stock, cut to length (40mm) with centred fixing holes at 10mm and 30mm. The holes are counter bored to 8.5mm to suit the stainless fixings I was using (M4 countersunk cap head)

The rod is stainless and 5mm in diameter, and the brackets are tapped to accept an M5 thread to approx 8mm in depth. Both brackets had 45 degree shoulder cuts with a hacksaw in my vice, and then they where neatened up with a file. Then the sanding and the polishing commenced. The metal is shiny. My fingers are black.

The windscreen was remarkably simple to drill and tap - I used my cordless drill on the slow / high torque setting, had a bit of cutting fluid and went to it. It was so easy I have my doubts that my windscreen surround is stainless steel. I think it's Aluminium!

Any way - I have two chrome rod mounted mirrors on order. One will be used as intended, the other will be dismantled and remade into a mount for my iPhone.