Thread: Dual 7" Servo
View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2011, 07:34
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Hi Peter

Yes, it was a little surprising to see the minor variations, though not totally unexpected, as the MBM samples were slightly different from the Duksville unit. I am glad I held back on having the adaptor plates produced solely on the basis of the first two sample Powder coated servos. I have to say, my heart sank when the planned adaptor did not fit all variations............I felt a bit like the marathon runner hitting the 20 mile wall. But having got that far, you don't give up.............
I'd like to thank Mashtun for coming to my rescue. He has drawn and re-drawn the plates we require at very short notice, and made sourcing the plates so much easier. As has been said before, just another example of how well this site, and the group who use it, works for the benefit of all.
I also hope to draw Oaktree 11 in to help as well - with machining the recess to the back of the plates to clear the post rivets. And with Jason finding the Dual servo, and doing the testing it has been a true collective effort.

You have certainly been very observant of the photos!

The Chrome and Zinc servos are actually the same design, only varying by finish. The rubber bung you can see in the Chrome unit is only the transport dust cover. The push rod ends are slightly different from the Powder coated servo, but are adjustable on a thread just the same.

"Why there are small differences?" I can not be certain, but I suspect MBM may be marketing generic products along with their own units?
But which is which, and does it matter? They are all sold as "Universal" and they all appear to be good quality: much more substantial and a definite step up from the Metro unit I have, even though it was new.

I trust everyone will be happy with their their choice of finish,(Chrome guys get your dusters out!) and that the improvement in performance matches our own expectations.
Jason and David have both been very positive, but I'll only truly relax when there are more positive reports! So those of you with drivable cars, please let us all know what you think!!

I feel like I'm on the final mile now, and the end is in sight ........

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
Probably like you, it's a surprise to see the different designs as we had all assumed it was just the coating. They seem to have different types of push rod ends and the chrome ones seem to have a kind of rubber boot just inside the m/c opening?
Any clues from MBM why they are so different?

Thanks again to you, Mike, for your diligence and commitment now you have umpteen different combinations to design, order and deliver.
I hope you (and Mrs. Mike) do have a good Christmas and you are not dreaming of servos too much.
I'm sure most of us can wait another week or so, so don't spoil your Christmas break trying to get them all shipped out. (I certainly won't need mine for at least a few weeks... )