View Single Post
Old 3rd March 2006, 08:10
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys!

I've got both the haynes and the bently manuals. Unfortunatly both just say 'lift out the lock plate' which is easier said than done!

Anyway, I've managed to get the shaft out now. I got the plate out by drilling a series of holes in it, and eventually levering out. I'll have to get a new nut as well as the lock plate though, as I went a bit deep with the drill, and managed to cut into it.

The nut was the relatively easy bit - a couple of wheel bolts in the hub with a bar between them resting on the floor, and then a breaker bar + my weight, brute force and gravity did the rest.

I didn't use a puller to remove the shaft - I used a metal rod as a drift and tapped it out. Came out easy, with no damage to the shaft end.

The hub has been removed by using an old, large imperial socket from my father-in-laws old toolkit. The only problem I have now is getting the bearing out. I've got the circlip removed, but the bugger doesn't seem to want to come out.

I'll give it a bit more "persuasion" tonight.

Oh - and how brilliant are Frosts? I placed an order with them yesterday lunchtime for the paint to do the engine, suspension parts and manifold - and they where sat on my desk at work when I got in this morning.