View Single Post
Old 27th May 2012, 08:14

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecymru View Post
Adjustable seats! Ohhh get you!
Wife says she wants to be able to drive it...

I'm guessing that'll only happen the once and she'll come back all pale and flustered, but I thought I'd make the effort anyway. It's also the only way to access the luggage bay as I didn't want the much taller tilting mechanism raising the seats up too far. It could help if I get a shortarsejobsworth MOT tester who can't see over the dashboard with the seat all the way back too.

The seats are a perfect fit for the Sammio shell and give a very laid back driving position. You can get an idea of just how reclined they are if you look how far forward the runners are bolted. I'd recommend this type of seat over a bench seat or more upright arrangement though as it's both comfortable, and means there'll be a lot less of me sticking out of the cockpit and spoiling the aerodynamics.

As for the seat belt reels, yes, I'm expecting them to foul the bodywork. I'm going to trial fit the body again in a day or so and see how bad the issue is - if it's only a couple of cm's then I'll probably add over the shoulder 'power' bulges to give clearance above. If that's not practicable then plan 'b' is to move the reels down to the lower mounting points that I've welded on beside the seats and attach the fixed end of the belt to the mounting at the top of the frame. I tried that set up yesterday and it works fine (the reels are any angle adjustable), although it does give the effect of a static shoulder belt, making it impossible to lean forwards at junctions.

I've also found a suitable handbrake that I think could be adapted for my needs. It's a bit modern but should be stronger than the ancient Minor one and I'm sure I can make it look more period with a little thought.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3307353169...84.m1423.l2649