View Single Post
Old 5th August 2012, 15:57

oaktree11 is on a distinguished road
Default work has recommenced!!!

OK well a good weekend, not that much achieved but it feels good to have started again.

So, as you all know, I have been trying to finish the model jeep because it is in the way. I have given up on that for a short while because it is essentially finished and striped for painting (my least favourite bit) it will be red and black, I have started but it will go on hold now - Dougie is too young yet so I have time.
IMG_0052 by oldpropuk, on Flickr[/IMG]

So as well as painting I have finally resolved the halfshaft gaiter conundrum. The recon halfshafts I got with the car definitely have the wrong gaiter on which is attached in the wrong place.
I spent the afternoon in the gentle rain removing the halfshaftes from the donor I bought. It went pretty smoothly but thank goodness I have the right tools. Both the hub nuts came off ok but the shaft splines were very tight. I have a heavy duty 3 leg puller which pushed them out fine. They look good with all four gaiters in good nick. I will clean them up and repack the bearings and fit these.
IMG_0048 by oldpropuk, on Flickr[/IMG]
IMG_0049 by oldpropuk, on Flickr[/IMG]
This is where the gaiter is located on my recon halfshafts - on the larger diameter which does not clear the hub casting
IMG_0607[1] by oldpropuk, on Flickr[/IMG]

I also learned how to press the wishbone bushes in - many thanks for the help guys - i screwed one but then learnt!

One problem is that Marlin have made a very scrappy job of tapping the arm so the bush carrier won screw in on one side. I have just ordered a 20mm tap to sort this.

IMG_0051 by oldpropuk, on Flickr[/IMG]

G]All in all I am a happy bunny!

Last edited by oaktree11; 8th August 2012 at 11:17.. Reason: remove duplicate photo