Thread: Power Steering
View Single Post
Old 13th August 2012, 13:37
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road
Default Power Steering

I've been inspired by Lee's PAS conversion to his cabrio - I'm going to attempt the same thing to Vikki.

To this end, I've just bought a Corsa C EPS steering column, a spare BMW column and the correct plugs for the power steering ECU.

My plan is to make this so there is no need to have a manual override control - most of the conversions I've seen use a small box of tricks with a 555 timer chip in it to create the speed pulses the ECU expects. This is ok, but it can lead to wooly feedback according to some sources on the Internet.

My idea is to take the pulses from the diff and the coil, sample them using a microprocessor and then output corrected pluses for the desired amount of assistance for a given speed.

Considering that anything over about 10 mph at the sportster steering is light enough, I think I can get away with turning assistance completely off at anything over that speed, and have a gradual reduction of assistance from 0-10mph.

In fact, I know that it's possible, as whilst I was researching it all, I came across this post on a VW website:

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules....209&highlight=

So there's a chap out there thats already done essentially what I had in mind - something that's completely programable to all wheel sizes, engine speeds and driver requirements.

Now all I need is the bits to be delivered, and I can start to experiment!
Available from eBay