View Single Post
Old 25th August 2012, 16:59

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Ebay Update:
My Spitfire body shell is finally on Ebay with the auction due to end on Tuesday, 28th August.
I'll then give the buyer first choice on the last few parts I have before they go on Ebay too.
My my main concern is to get the body shell out of the way so I can get at the rolling chassis.

Wiring Loom - Part 1
I want to be able to restart my engine ASAP, so I'm keen to sort out the wiring early in the build.
The decision to build my Cordite without a heater makes more of the original loom redundant.
So I updated my wiring diagram & adding a dotted line to ensure a connect remained in place.

I laid the loom out in the dining room and started to cross check it back to the diagram.

This allowed me to add extra labels where some wires were not connected in my donor.
I was also able to trace the two "random" unattached wires to the oil warning light!
The previous owner has fitted some sort of pressure gauge in the engine bay.
So I need to do a bit of research to see if he removed all the original connections.

Then it was simply a case of carefully cutting and unwrapping the tape around the wires.
Then working my way slowly around the loom removing everything I didn't need.
I only made two mistakes (I blame the thunder, lightening & torrential rain outside ).
But the are an easy fix to correct and will be reconnected in Part 2 (see below).
Based on this photo, it doesn't look like I have much to show for many hours work...

So maybe this is a better way of highlighting what I managed to remove...

There is still a lot of work to do with the loom, but that can wait until "Part 2".
I need to fit connections to my new lights & the loom to ensure everything will join up.
But first I'll run the loom in the car to check which wires need shortening / lengthening.
Earthing to the frame instead of the original steel body locations will be part of that.
When all that is sorted out I will then wrap up the wires to tidy it all up.

Next Steps:
If I get half a chance to do some more Hammerite painting outside tomorrow I'll take it.

Until next time, take care, Paul.

Replies:
Mister Towed - Thanks & I'll take you up on the cuppa offer one day.
This is why your build thread is a joy to follow as you just keep chipping away at it.
I know it has taken a long time, but you'll soon be driving a Sammio Spyder.
( No pressure! )

Last edited by Paul L; 7th September 2019 at 09:09..