View Single Post
Old 27th August 2012, 16:33

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Wiring Loom - Part 1 and a bit
Woke up in the middle of Saturday night as my mind was clearly still thinking about wiring.
It dawned on me that one of my "mistakes" from earlier that day was not wrong after all.
I'd cut a wire convinced I didn't need it & only then did I notice one end heading into the bulk head loom.
I was horrified to see the words "gear box" on the other end of the matching wire & panic set in.
I thought I'd cut the over drive connection and stopped before I did any more damage.

However, I should have actually marked the wires as "gearbox reversing light switch"!
So I was doing the right thing all along and can remove some more wiring from the loom.
But I'll pick that up along with all the other stuff I need to do in "Part 2".

Stop! ...

Hammerite Time! ...

There were some bits of the internal framework that still needed to be painted & other bits touched up.
Some dry weather on Sunday let me paint that & some of my other donor parts that will be re-used.

Parts of the frame look like they have been painted by a child and that's because they were!
But I'd rather keep the runs and blobs and have a family painted frame than a beautiful finish.

Mind you, even with a dodgy finish, things do look better with a fresh coat of paint.

I'd put a second coat on this morning, but shortly afterwards the rain came (again!).
So we have a large temporary garden ornament until I can move it all out of the way.

Body Shell Update:
Just over a day to go, no bids yet, but 34 watchers.
I also had 2 messages about a "Buy it now price", but no offers there either.
Hopefully this will be one of those sales that takes off in the last few minutes.

I took quick rubbing of the petrol filler cap hole while it was still here.
This is purely as a double check when it comes to drilling a hole in my Cordite body.

Cordite Bulk Head:
As I was painting both the frame and the tops of my pedals I thought I'd compare them.
- The brake pedal lines up with the six holes provided.
- The clutch pedal needs six holes, only 5 are pre-drilled and they do not line up.
- The gas pedal had two holes in the top of the Spitfire bulk head, but only one here.

Now I remembered that DonnySoutherner had some issues with his pedals.
But a quick revisit to his build thread has just highlighted another "challenge".

He posted this photo...

And then Andy posted this message...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyP57 View Post
Now looking enviously at your Master Cylinder layout... Beware buying a late 1500 donor as it comes with a tandem brake system as a default. Just as well we don't have to IVA as I'm going to have to downgrade the system to a single cylinder to get it to fit
I couldn't remember what I had, but a quick look revealed...

Insert rude word of your choice as I didn't think I needed to touch my brakes at all.
( As they have already "passed" the MOT inspection my local garage gave them. )

But in the wise words of Mister Towed... "The key thing is not to lose heart."
There is not much I can do at the moment until the frame and body are in place.
At that point I'll have a better idea of what my options might be.
Perhaps I can simply fit a 'Wembley Scoop' to clear the master cylinder.

Also looking at Simon's photo again, it is clear his gas pedal is mounted using one bolt on top.
Plus there are another two bolts to go through the front of the fibreglass bulkhead.

Until next time, take care, Paul.

Last edited by Paul L; 10th September 2019 at 08:06..