Thread: MOT Woes
View Single Post
Old 9th September 2012, 09:31

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road
Default MOT Woes

Well the cabrio has been on the road for nearly 3 years so I submitted it for its first MOT.
It failed on emissions because the tester could not determine which test to apply, so he failed it.
I showed him using the engine number that the engine came from a 2l G reg Sierra, but he would not accept that because the VOSA manual of emission tests manual listed the engine number under "Ford Sierra", and my car was a Marlin.

There was some flowchart in the MOT testers manual that he tried to follow and that lead to a decision box that had a 'Yes' output but no 'No' output, and of course the answer to the question was 'No' so he was stimied there too.

Ha asked to see the log book as that was supposed to have the emissions level in it, but all the data was blank.

I've found a copy if the IVA pass certificate and that showed the emissions as N/A.

He has emailed the technical department at VOSA, but does anyone know of a definitive article that defines the testing criteria? I've googled but everything I seem to find is secondhand and considering how pedantic this tester is secondhand heresay would not be acceptable.

Apart from that I got an advisory on a non working indicator repeater.
Available from eBay