Thread: Oxford build
View Single Post
Old 29th October 2012, 08:43

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the warning WCA. I am expecting some shape change but I don't have any other storage options.

I am "planning" to have a detachable rear end (cut along the line of the back of the cockpit). The rear section will be mounted on a lightweight tubular frame that bolts to the main frame (or uses 4 large pip pins to keep it in place). I am also "planning" half-doors very similar to the ones that MoriniMan described recently. They may hinge at the bottom or the top front. There will also be a boot panel and possibly a "Dutch bonnet" panel within the main flip front.

Dividing the main section in two should give me more capacity to shape things......or it may compound any problems. We shall see.

The reason behind the plan for the removable rear is access. I love working on cars where access is good (think Formula Ford without the bodywork) and I hate working on cars when you have to suspend yourself upside in the engine bay whilst trying to get a double UJ socket drive on a recessed nut whilst being burnt by the exhaust manifold (think all modern cars). If I want to work on the rear suspension, brakes, diff, fuel tank etc., then I want to enjoy it.

I plan to keep the car until I die, so I may as well get it how I want it.

The first car that I built (~25 years ago!!!) can be seen below and we regretted not putting a flip-front on it.

As a point of interest, that UVA M6 kit cost £17k+ in 1988. Please note, I did not fund it. With a nice Rover V8 and Renault transaxle plus all the extra kit and trim, it cost the best part of £25k to complete. It was stunning, sounded great, handled quite well, and we took it to Paris and Le Mans without any problems, but did I ever really fall for it? No. Whereas my little Sammio.............that's true love.

Last edited by oxford1360; 29th October 2012 at 12:27..